Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    5/17/2003 12:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "shadowboxing, in front of a mirror to see how fast u r going...then try to go beyond the speed u r going right now."

" None of this is possible if you foster specific intent."

Those are two good points.

In Kajukenbo we were taught two speed drills. One was to watch the mirror and when the hands were hard to see, you were getting fast. The other is to go up and down imagining strikes, left and rights. You can put anything together, my typical is palm heel to forehead, crosses to chin, jab to throat, straight to solar, and upper cut slap to groin. Then starting with the groin I go back up using both hands again. The idea is that if your one punch one kill doesn't work, keep hitting and this will free up your reflexes to hit fast.

The other point has to do with intent. It's like that thing they say "don't try, just do it." Someone told me to explode without thought into the technique when the instructor sez go, or hajime, or counts or whatever. I've tried to do this and now that I'm an old fart it is quite amusing to watch the mirror and see that my punches beat the young'uns. (beat 'em to the punch!) In drills with lots of parts they catch up and beat me, of course. It has helped sparring because I can do a left jab without mental/physical telegraphing
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2003 12:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a Bruce Lee student called Patrick Strong and he is very very fast.He has done some videos and one of them is called "lord of speed".He believes in trainig slow and relaxed :

The reason that you want to work on the very, very slow and slow speeds is so that you will better develop the proper neuropathways, thus a higher level of effeciency.

You want to feel what you are doing, so that you can eliminate any unnecessary contraction.

Either too much contraction, or unnecessary muscle involvement will slow you down.

After you've worked on your slow stuff, then move into the other speed ranges, ending with very, very fast.

As I mentioned on my previous posts (I had forgotten to put my name on the first of the two), you will want to practice the drills, throwing a thousand punches a day.

To just throw punches out of gross muscle movement is the wrong way to learn. Include the slow, concentration movements and you will learn to punch at a much higher level.

Practice starting your punch slow and ending fast. At first this is an exercise. A drill. Later, you will do this without even knowing that you are doing it. Nor will anyone else know that you are doing it, because it will look like greased lightning from beginning to end.

Once you have this, go to the heavy bag. You will no doubt discover that you are able to put more shock and penetration into the bag while using far less effort. But, it takes practice. It also takes proper structure and connection and a few other things.

A lot of people that I see (most all) try to be fast. It's the trying, the effort, when initiating their movement that makes them slow.

Learn to start slow and end fast. By ending fast, you will have acceleration speed which adds to power. Your strike at impact will be more accurate and deeper.

The trick is to get rid of excessive muscle contraction. Use gravity as your prime mover instead of intention. Fire out of momentum instead of stillness.

On reaction speed, the secret is to read the opponent's intention. Learn to feel what he feels. By the time he initiates you have already moved (preferably off-line, but not necessary). I call this disappearing. He punches and you vanish. Before his punch was meant to make impact he's been hit. He tried to move fast and you moved slow, but you beat him to the punch.

In the beginning, you will feel the vibration at the end of your punch. You want to get rid of this. Before impact, the hand is loose. In tightens at impact, then instantly releases as to cut off rebound coming back to you. How you hold your fist is important. You want to practice letting go. When I strike, I only tighten the middle two fingers. This way I get less contraction in my forearm which only serves as a conduit for rebound."

His students have a website www.chihand.com and their is an archives section on speed punching and video clips and a forum.

Anyway do u guys beleive in slow punching?

AKAKTK

Posted On:
    5/17/2003 1:09pm

Style: Liu Seong Gung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    dead on DANINJA.

good post.

peace.

" a cow doesnt whinny, and a horse has no udder, back is to the sides, and sideways is straight ahead"

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    5/17/2003 1:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Best ways I have found:

Hand weights. You can get them on various MA stores and Boxing store/sites. You DO NOT punch full speed with them. Slow punches going through the ROM. Work on form

Shadowboxing. Again not always full speed. Punching 100% in the air can actually HURT you. Again pay attention to form.

Bagwork. Here is where you cut loose. Still pay attention to form (Notice how FORM is playing a big part here.

Excercise your triceps. DIPS, PRESS, EXTENTIONS, that target the tricep will help with speed and power.

______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!!
    THE TRUE FIST OF THE NORTHSTAR!!
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2003 1:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    has anyone used those rubber tubing or bungee cord to provide resistance when punching?

Edited by - DANINJA on May 17 2003 13:34:39

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2003 1:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a sharpshooter that can draw his pistol and shoot 2 bottles then a blink of an eye, literally. When the press asked him how he got this fast, he just said he would practice it, over and over and over and over. Hundreds of times a day, thousands a week. Thats the only way you can do it.

If you want to get fast, dont talk about it, train it! Throw 100 backfists a day, 1000 jabs, 200 kicks. Just like a boxer would train for multiple hours a day, so should you.
    (this is from "Speed Training" book by Lauren Christensen )

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2003 3:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tightening up the muscles is a big mistake for anyone seeking power. Although it may feel like tighter means of power, it is just an illusion. According to the WingTsun theory, a powerful punch is "a punch that lands on the opponent and causes him strong damage", so it is the opponent who feels the power and not the attacker.

Scientifically, it is the "extensors" (e.g., the triceps, etc.) which are responsible for giving a straight punch its power, not the "contractors" (e.g., the biceps). Therefore, if a man tightens up his muscles while launching a punch, it's like someone who tries to accelerate a car by putting on foot on the gas paddle and the other on the brake.

FROM GM LEUNG TING ARTICLE.

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    5/17/2003 9:35pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what's with the sheep 9chambers?

"has anyone used those rubber tubing or bungee cord to provide resistance when punching?"
    a guy at my place recommends them, he used to use them as a boxer....

--
    Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2003 12:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey guys thanks for all the tips!

I have ankle/wrist weights, I mainly bought them for leg excercises but I'll give them a shot on the hands.

TaeBoMaster: The dynamic tension excercises you describe sounds alot like Sanchin kata.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast