Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2006 11:08pm

Style: Maybe Kyokushin soon...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MT Bullshido in Ontario...if not Canada...

Okay so im going to be joining a MT school tomorrow (yeah), and I went in today to watch a class. After I had some Q and A with an instructor, and he told me a few shocking things.

-MT tournies are now legal in Ontario, but 3 levels exist. Each level has different equip requirements...the lowest has full gear (head, body, shin), and the last has no gear but the head.

-Regardless of where in Canada you have a sanctioned MT fight, no elbows of any type are allowed. You can clinch and knee till the cows come home, but gawd forbid you toss around an elbow.

I was quite shocked with this because that is one of the core strikes in MT. What do other MT canuks think of this? Is it the same in the US?

Will this lead to MT fighters that cant compete with MT fighters from other countries that allow elbows?????

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    5/23/2006 11:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's the same in the US, though I think California has legalised elbows and knees to the head for their muay thai comps. Lack of elbows isn't "bullshido" but it isn't muay thai. Usually the promoters will call it "modified muay thai".
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    5/24/2006 12:06am

Style: Systema & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    which gym are u going to join?
    there have been plenty of new schools starting up since it had been 'sanctioned'

(you'd figure elbows would be allowed by now with the surge of MMA ands legal use of elbows, especially the ground and pound using elbows, which would probably seem a lot more devastating to the average fan out there) - its only a matter of time i hope

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2006 12:23am

Style: Jiu-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lots of strange laws out there. I agree, not Bullshido, but not cool either.

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    5/24/2006 1:27am

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rocket
    Lots of strange laws out there. I agree, not Bullshido, but not cool either.
    In Clawson MI (where I grew up): it is legal for a man to "sleep with his pigs, cows, horses, goats, and chickens."

In Rochester (where my girlfriend works): the law states that anyone appearing in public in a bathing suit must have it inspected by a police officer.

And in Detroit (where I train): it is illegal for alligators to be tied to fire hydrants (I'll have to remind my sifu of that one).

Dagon :google:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2006 4:44am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In Sweden it's not exactly regulated but they made four classes of it.

A The whole package, elbows, knees to the head
    B No elbows
    C No elbows, knees to the head
    D No elbows, knees to the head, protective gear and no full contact (for beginners).

Most of the matches that are arranged are C-class matches. So what can you say...

Posted On:
    5/24/2006 5:27am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No elbows...where's the fun in that?

jesus guys, come and fight in england.

One caveat tho- no spinning backfist. Sorry, but they are stupid and this is a civilised country.
    He who attains his ideal by that very fact transcends it- Nietzsche

I like my Te like I like my tea- from Fujian province and without any bullshit in it. Oh, and green. And scented with jasmine blossoms...

Quote Originally Posted by A Better American Than You
    In every country and every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2006 5:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ive been to a muay thai comp here in Brooklyn, they also for some reason didn't allow knees to the head and elbow strikes.

Posted On:
    5/24/2006 6:13am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The athletics commission here has a number of things wrong with it. Legal MMA is being held up by a leg kick rule or something equally useless.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2006 7:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Jaric,

You might have misunderstood the instructor. Elbows are illegal in Ontario, except for "A" Class fights. They wear elbow pads, but are indeed legal. Each province has their own sanctioning rules. Ours in Ontario are governed by CAMTAO. I know Alberta allows elbows for "A" class fights as well. To the best of my knowledge, knees to the head are illegal across the country, but I can only speak for Ontario.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast