Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2006 1:02pm

Style: Muay Thai/KF/Boxing/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Teaching Question

This past weekend some friends of mine and I were at a park having a picnic, and someone asked me some self defense questions about responses to being grabbed. So I showed them some Muay thai, kung fu, and BJJ responses to various stand up grappling situations. I used this one guy as my uke, and I did the techniques slowly (these were *very* simply techniques like kicking someone in the shin, and scraping down the leg and stomping the foot), explaining throughout why I was doing what I was doing.

Well apparently my uke has training in Muay Thai, and when I was doing the techniques, he would do his best to block them and then say "See if you do this, then if I do that I will block you and then I could counter your move". I tried to explain to him that, while what he is saying is technically correct, that was not the purpose of what I was demonstrating. He would then go on to try and show me up, by demonstrating some technique he would use in a self defense situation on me, to which I would instinctively counter and explain to him that his move was too complex for what these people were wanting.

So my question to you is this, should I have.

1. Straight up given this guy the PWNZ0RZ, beat his ass, and shown him why his **** didn't work.

2. Continue to have to explain my techniques and his and the reason why his techniques work/won't work and in what situations to use them.

3. Just ended it there, and go back to eating my hot dog

4. Something else.

I have an actual self-defense demo I am supposed to be teaching next week, and I was wondering what the proper protocol is in these situations. I don't teach much so this is all new to me. Thanks

ja

Rei

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/22/2006 1:07pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get used to it.

When you have to deal with people that have ingrained patterns in their head you can't win.

Show the techniques, shut out the background noise.

Later, when ego isn't an issue, set up a sparring match. That way the person can learn overly complicated techniques don't work at full speed.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/22/2006 1:18pm

supporting member
     Style: age&treachery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake??
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick?"

BTW nice av, IIF -- NO gas face for you!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/22/2006 1:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is unfortunately typical.

You elect to demonstrate something you have been taught and Tool Number 1 decides to show how that one particular technique can be countered to get the attention on him/her.

Happens all the time. A perfect example is when I am rolling with a brand new guy and the "technique of the day" is say a simple triangle from the guard. Well douche bag keeps defending the triangle attempt and says "see that **** wouldn't work on me". Only to promptly get caught in one during free randori at the end of class.

Point - it is easy for a blind monkey to defend against one particular technique. The answer you have for the student is that this move is just one in a large variety of options you have in this particular situation, if the technique is there you take it, if it is not, you go for something else, BUT you cannot even go for the triangle if you do not understand and learn how one is applied and practice through compliant repetition.

SO, either sit down and eat your hot dog OR roll with him and choke him out with the triangle where your submission options are not limited because your not drilling one particular technique.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2006 1:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake??
    Get used to it.

When you have to deal with people that have ingrained patterns in their head you can't win.

Later, when ego isn't an issue, set up a sparring match. That way the person can learn overly complicated techniques don't work at full speed.
    Yeah, when i asked the uke later about his training in Muay Thai he told me "My teacher tought us the best way to break bones" I knew that he was full of **** and in a real match I would own him like a slave in North Carolina in 1840. I may just take your advice.

BTW, Mad icon love for you... I always thought Pete Nice was the more talented one of 3rd Bass. Pop Pop goes the Weasel....

ja

Rei

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2006 1:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by billy sol hurok
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick?"

BTW nice av, IIF -- NO gas face for you!
    That's when I release the man-eating tiger.....

ja

Rei

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2006 2:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenJonas
    This is unfortunately typical.

You elect to demonstrate something you have been taught and Tool Number 1 decides to show how that one particular technique can be countered to get the attention on him/her.

Happens all the time. A perfect example is when I am rolling with a brand new guy and the "technique of the day" is say a simple triangle from the guard. Well douche bag keeps defending the triangle attempt and says "see that **** wouldn't work on me". Only to promptly get caught in one during free randori at the end of class.

Point - it is easy for a blind monkey to defend against one particular technique. The answer you have for the student is that this move is just one in a large variety of options you have in this particular situation, if the technique is there you take it, if it is not, you go for something else, BUT you cannot even go for the triangle if you do not understand and learn how one is applied and practice through compliant repetition.

SO, either sit down and eat your hot dog OR roll with him and choke him out with the triangle where your submission options are not limited because your not drilling one particular technique.
    I could handle it if the person i was demonstrating on would say "Yeah but what happens when you try to do the triangle, then I do this" as opposed to just out-and-out blocking it with the ego-filled "That **** doesn't work". At least in the previous situation you can address situation specific things and/or limitations of the technique you're trying to demonstrate.

Something I didn't include in this story was a Muay Thai clinch technique where you slip your hands to one side of your opponent and pull him towards you for a side knee to the ribs, and when I started to do the technique, the uke raises his leg and sticks his arms out to block me. I just raised the trajectory of my attack, and it slipped up and over the block and crashed into his ribs anyway. :icon_smil Just made me feel all warm and squishy on the inside.

ja

Rei

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2006 2:08pm

Style: Relson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hahaha. I would have smashed him, Rei. I would say "Bitch, pay attention and behave. Me Seme you Uke"!!! :-P

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2006 2:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by eviechu
    hahaha. I would have smashed him, Rei. I would say "Bitch, pay attention and behave. Me Seme you Uke"!!! :-P
    *mwah* you know I love you, right ; -) You inspire that violent side in me.

Get online so we can B.S, grrl.

ja

Rei

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2006 2:23pm

Style: pak mei

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

demonstrating

l always do it fast first that way if someone wants act with disrespect hell get hit . then go slow and show how it works . that way if a smartass gets hit he think twice about trying it again. even if you hit him with a different strike than ytour demonstating. its not a democracy in a martial arts club hes no right to talk unless asked to interupt deserves a smack . l meant demontrating not a good typist
    Last edited by lee; 5/22/2006 2:59pm at . Reason: Title misspelled
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast