Lightweight

Posted On:
    5/22/2006 12:47pm

supporting member
     Style: no gi bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

NYU BJJers?

Hey - I am moving to Manhattan in 3 days for the remainder of the summer, and I'm looking for jiu-jitsu instruction.

I know how to google and search bullshido for suggestions on the best schools in the area etc., but now I'm thinking I would benefit from a university program, seeing as I will have free access to the NYU gym and will likely be working from 9:30AM-10:00PM 5-6x a week.

I found an email address for a jiu-jitsu club on the NYU athletics webpage, but nobody responded to my inquiry.

So now I turn to you, Bullshido: are there any NYU Jiu-Jitsu-ers on these forums? What's the deal with training at the NYU gym? If I don't bring a training partner of my own, is training there a realistic possibility? Should I just suck it up and pay for reputable instruction and hope I can make enough classes?
    -Jordan

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2006 6:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm with Columbia's bjj club. NYU does have a bjj club; we had two joint training sessions with them this year. During the school year they seem to be active and have a decent amount of people, and are taught by a purple belt who seemed to be good. I'm not sure whether they train in the summer, but I'll try to look up a contact e-mail address for you of one of their members we dealt with when setting up our joint sessions.

If you can afford it, drop by Renzo's as much as you can, which is pretty near NYU. Looking at your schedule, one thing that may interest you is the 7:30 am classes taught by John Danaher, a strong Renzo black belt and gifted teacher.

If NYU or Renzo's doesn't work out for you, another option would be for you to come train some times uptown with us at Columbia. You can pay for one night access to Columbia's gym for 10 or 15 dollars if one of us signs you in, which we'd be happy to do. At least once a week (probably monday or saturday) a Renzo brown belt named Jason Yang will be instructing, and there's a chance our other normal instructor (a purple belt named Keith Wittenstein) will come by sometimes too. We'll also have Columbia's assistant wrestling coach Yaru Washington training with us some of the time. At other times I or some other blue belt may be running things. 15 dollars a practice isn't as good a deal for you as free training with NYU, obviously, but it may be worth it for you to come by once and a while. Send me an e-mail if you're interested-- bpj2003@columbia.edu.

EDIT: Michael D Harmon mdh266@nyu.edu
    Contact this guy about the nyu club. I think he's the instructor.
    Last edited by Pojac; 5/22/2006 6:33pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2006 7:11pm

Style: Relson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Only the best in NY: http://gracieny.com/. Ask for Micheal Casey. Relson Gracie all the way man!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2006 3:15am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pojac
    I'm with Columbia's bjj club. NYU does have a bjj club; we had two joint training sessions with them this year. During the school year they seem to be active and have a decent amount of people, and are taught by a purple belt who seemed to be good. I'm not sure whether they train in the summer, but I'll try to look up a contact e-mail address for you of one of their members we dealt with when setting up our joint sessions.

If you can afford it, drop by Renzo's as much as you can, which is pretty near NYU. Looking at your schedule, one thing that may interest you is the 7:30 am classes taught by John Danaher, a strong Renzo black belt and gifted teacher.

If NYU or Renzo's doesn't work out for you, another option would be for you to come train some times uptown with us at Columbia. You can pay for one night access to Columbia's gym for 10 or 15 dollars if one of us signs you in, which we'd be happy to do. At least once a week (probably monday or saturday) a Renzo brown belt named Jason Yang will be instructing, and there's a chance our other normal instructor (a purple belt named Keith Wittenstein) will come by sometimes too. We'll also have Columbia's assistant wrestling coach Yaru Washington training with us some of the time. At other times I or some other blue belt may be running things. 15 dollars a practice isn't as good a deal for you as free training with NYU, obviously, but it may be worth it for you to come by once and a while. Send me an e-mail if you're interested-- bpj2003@columbia.edu.

EDIT: Michael D Harmon mdh266@nyu.edu
    Contact this guy about the nyu club. I think he's the instructor.
    If the purple belt is who I think he is, I've trained with him a couple of years back. He's good.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2006 3:17am

Style: BJJ & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theraydiator
    and will likely be working from 9:30AM-10:00PM 5-6x a week.
    Damn.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    5/26/2006 1:06pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haha - thanks for the sentiment, Meager. That's what I said when I heard it too!

Thanks for all the Columbia info, Pojac - Sounds like an opportunity I might have to pursue.

I just moved into my dorm yesterday and finally got my internet up and running.

I contacted Mike Harmon, and I'm going to meet with him on Sunday. Apparantly the NYU club will be training this summer at the Coles Sports Complex.

Also, considering my prohibitive schedule, I'm really excited to hear about Marcio Santos' new school - I read that they meet on fri-sun only, which might work out well for me. Also, pay-per-session price plan w/ student discounts?! - sounds too good to be true! - So I'll be checking out the Santos school tonight.

Thanks again for the tips - wherever I end up training I'll probably make a little write-up for it.

-Jordan
    -Jordan

Lightweight

Posted On:
    5/27/2006 2:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tried to go to see Marcio Santos today, but he's closed for Memorial Day - how patriotic!

I'm going to have to put this project on hold for a week or so.

-Jordan

edit: I picked up a flier with his schedule/prices on it though:

FRI: 8:00-9:30PM
    SAT: 3:30-5:00PM

$13/per single class, $110/10 class prepaid

since the school doesn't have a website yet, I'll add more info after I try it out.
    Last edited by theraydiator; 5/27/2006 2:36pm at .
    -Jordan