Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/23/2006 1:59am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    Yrkoon...could you please elaborate how your token old chinese guy story has any bearing on this thread? I mean I know you've just been itching to post that, but the moral of the story seems to be more along the lines of "don't hold a grudge" or "live in the present, not the past" rather than "don't get caught up in ego-driven nonesense at the expense of your personal growth" which would have been suitable for this thread....

...your attempts at sounding wise have scored 0 points so far this round.
    Sigh . . .

mighty licker of the anus apeture
    Last edited by Omega; 5/23/2006 2:52am at .
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2006 3:13am

Style: bjj, boxing, ex-iwama ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There was an old chinese monk, the next day he was an older chinese monk.

mighty licker of the anus apeture
    Last edited by Omega; 5/23/2006 3:27am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2006 3:55am

Style: BJJ & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omega is a god:

I on the other hand am a mighty licker of the anus apeture
    Last edited by Omega; 5/23/2006 8:07am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2006 10:04am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it was more 'if you focus on the little things, it will distract you from progressing or obtaining wisdom.' Stories like that are kinda open to interpretation, and I guess that was his.

Anyway, I say again it's not all about the tap, but at some level it has to be at least somewhat about that. You have to be a long way ahead of someone to be able to completely dominate them without the need to even go for a sub. If you're only a little bit above their level, you can take the position and then go for the sub, but you're unlikely to be able to sit on them for the entire sparring session whilst constantly changing positions.

Also if you're going to be drilling subs, you need the ability to tap people out. Positional dominance is one thing, but it's not the whole of the BJJ game. People complain about people who are just content to play the position game in tournaments, so how is this all that much different?

Thread's dead, but figured I should keep giving my perspective. Thanks for talking it through, though. Ya thought about it and didn't just slag me off. Cheers.

Take care,

Mighty licker of the anus apeture

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2006 10:54am

Style: BJJ & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalkachu
    You have to be a long way ahead of someone to be able to completely dominate them without the need to even go for a sub. If you're only a little bit above their level, you can take the position and then go for the sub, but you're unlikely to be able to sit on them for the entire sparring session whilst constantly changing positions.
    If I'm only a little better than someone else when I get mount and I can usually keep it indefinitely. Pretty much the only reason I lose mount at all is because I attempt a sub, unless I'm rolling with someone far superior.
    Also if you're going to be drilling subs, you need the ability to tap people out. Positional dominance is one thing, but it's not the whole of the BJJ game. People complain about people who are just content to play the position game in tournaments, so how is this all that much different?
    I plan to compete in MMA (injury is derailing me for the moment but hopefully I will get to fight sometime this year) so if I get mount I'm happy. I'm just gonna pound you in the face if I get top anyway so why should subbing you be a huge concern? Dominant positions are considered dominant for a reason.

Also, GG Omega.
    Last edited by Omega; 5/23/2006 3:28pm at .

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    12/21/2006 9:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    Ahhh the young padiwan is still obsessed with taps. Sit back and let me tell you a story:

Two monks were in the countryside travelling; a wise old monk and a young impetuous one. They came upon a wide steam. It was deep but not so deep that the monks could not cross. However there were two women on the bank of the stream who were not nearly as strong and could not cross.

Without a word the wise old monk carried both the women on his shoulders across the stream.

Time passed and the young monk could barely contain himself. Many miles after they crossed the stream the young monk finally blurted out, "How could you touch those women? We are sworn never to speak to a woman, much less carry them! Have you forgotten our vows?"

Without even missing a stride the old monk replied, "Are you still carrying those women around? I left them back at the stream hours ago."
    Then, the young belt said "Ninja please." And lept mightily into the air and caught the old priest in a flying triangle. It was his first time submitting a brown belt.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123