Posted On:
    5/22/2006 12:30am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal
    Let me give you the low-down here.

Martial arts like Ninjustu, Aikido, Wing Chun or other Kung Fu styles do not really get much respect here at Bullshido.com. The reason is that these styles have spotty records when it comes to producing quality fighters.

The mantra here is that your full contact competition styles turn out your better quality fighters. Styles like Muay Thai/kickboxing,boxing,Kyokushin or other full contact karate styles, BJJ, Judo, Wrestling, San SHou, Sambo.

Those styles train hard and focus on hard contact fighting. Pick one.
    :laughing4

Grandmaster of plagirism
    Sensei of redundancy

Posted On:
    5/22/2006 1:39am

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    Most of the people on this site are actually pretty suck at fighting, whether their heart is in the right place or not.

hell, Honestly....most of the people in any given muay thai class suck to, even if they've been doing it for a comparatively long time.
    Well I guess the question now is, who spits and who swallows?
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2006 5:12am

Style: Arnis, WC, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are looking for self-defense do Judo... its cheap, effective, and you will practice what you learn in away that lets you apply it.

Wing Chun is too variable in teaching quality to allow anyone to recommend it.

Don't do a mega-chain variant of any style... and that includes VT, EBMAS, and the corner TKD, karate etc schools.

Most people who do MAs quit after a few months -- do something you can sink your teeth into a learn for a few years at least. Its a personal taste thing.

Since you're a nubee I'll say this: most MAs are about dressing up and leaping around and pretending to be all powerful for a few hours a week, before you sit back down on the couch and watch the TV for 4 or more hours a day. Don't be bamboozled... go with your gut -- what has proven to be effective is -- mystical nonsense and secrets have been in MAs forever, and have been shown to be nonsense time and time again.

Posted On:
    5/22/2006 9:39am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal
    Let me give you the low-down here.

Martial arts like Ninjustu, Aikido, Wing Chun or other Kung Fu styles do not really get much respect here at Bullshido.com. The reason is that these styles have spotty records when it comes to producing quality fighters.

The mantra here is that your full contact competition styles turn out your better quality fighters. Styles like Muay Thai/kickboxing,boxing,Kyokushin or other full contact karate styles, BJJ, Judo, Wrestling, San SHou, Sambo.

Those styles train hard and focus on hard contact fighting. Pick one.
    Aww shucks Hannibal. Always giving people the inside scoop. You're really "in the know."
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    5/22/2006 11:16am

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pl4zM4
    They do :(

"I can grapple, I do Aikido" - every(pretty much) Aikidoka I met.

"Aikido is not grappling"

Spoken by a dude that's been doing it for 30 years.

Posted On:
    5/22/2006 11:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr._Tzun_Tzu
    This place will eat you alive, but can be helpful too, it is a full contact forum remember.

I would not start Martial Arts with a Wing Whatever variant. You have no reference point to judge if you are recieving Bullshido or not. Start with Judo or Boxing. If those are not to tuff on you move up to something more painful like MT or BJJ.

Unless there is an EBMAS program in your area........
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Muay thai is not more painful than boxing.

And BJJ is not necessarily more painful than judo.

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    5/22/2006 1:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fearless Ukemi
    "Aikido is not grappling"

Spoken by a dude that's been doing it for 30 years.
    What? I thought you were like 22.

Posted On:
    5/22/2006 1:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
    What? I thought you were like 22.
    I'm 26 actually. It's not my quote, but the owner of the dojo I train at who said that.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/22/2006 1:45pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr._Tzun_Tzu
    This place will eat you alive, but can be helpful too, it is a full contact forum remember.

I would not start Martial Arts with a Wing Whatever variant. You have no reference point to judge if you are recieving Bullshido or not. Start with Judo or Boxing. If those are not to tuff on you move up to something more painful like MT or BJJ.

Unless there is an EBMAS program in your area........
    Judo can be more painful than BJJ. Being thrown on the mat sucks ass!!!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    5/22/2006 1:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to strike a contrary note ?

It depends what you see when you look at each school you have locally.

I used to do Wing Chun at a place that didn't spar very often, and never competed. I read Bullshido for a while and thought 'you know, I'd like to do some of that rougher more practical training'. So I looked around locally for things like Muay Thai, Kyokushin and BJJ (which deservedly have good reputations).. and couldn't find any.

So I thought 'I need somewhere where they regularly enter full contact competitions of some sort'.. and found it in a Tai Chi club of all places.

Now you may also not have any 'Bullshido approved' styles near you, or you may be unlucky enough to come across the rare phoney/bullshit MMA/MT/BJJ school.

It's also just possible that your local WC school is one of the handful in the whole world which do spar hard/compete (they do exist), if so, give it a try*.

You might come across a gem.

*I'm just fucking with you. Take up kickboxing and wrestling instead. Muay Thai is just kickboxing deluxe++, but you'll almost certainly never get to use any of those knees and elbows on a sparring opponent, so why bother ? BJJ is too expensive.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast