Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2006 12:08pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by psycho-active
    4 stripes on your blue and your a low life? Either your school promotes too easy, or everyone is the **** where you train.

I train in the Lloyd Irvin Affiliate school. Our affiliate group of schools is considered the best in the nation by a number of peeps.

That being said, I think I am where I am at because I can beat some peeps that are higher belts than me because of athleticism; for me at least - your rank should reflect your technique (many can disagree). Keep it pure BJJ, if I am stronger and quicker than someone, I may be able to beat them in a BJJ match but it does not make me a better BJJ player IMHO. I believe my tech lacks, I am being told I will be purple soon and I have seen whites with better technique IMHO. go figure.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/22/2006 12:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    My instructor is still working to build the school up enough to pay for a bigger location (he just signed the lease on Thursday). He has not yet paid himself for teaching, and he's got to pay for a whole new set of mats before he plans on paying himself. Mats cost thousands of dollars, so in about 3 years, he'll probably start paying himself a little.

Maybe the purple belt is just so happy to be training again that he doesn't care?
    Exactly GB, unless you are able to ride the american Gracie train at one the established Barras or you are able to train at an established name like Loyd Irving, most smaller JJ schools that train with resistance (like the BJJ Schools listed above) are not going to be big, don't have a lot of students, are hard to come by IMO, and in fact will probably not make much if any money to keep the lights on.

Thus, unless, as one other poster said, he tries to teach you crap, be thankful you have another like-minded individual to train with who may bring differnet experience to up your game.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2006 12:54pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Outside of one seminar I've never paid for any BJJ instruction. My instructor has taught for several years for free. We train at the local YMCA in a raquetball court where we drag our mats out to and back to the storage room every class. Some people just love the art enough to teach for free. Talk to the guy about it, you should be able to tell if he is passionate about the art.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2006 1:18pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by relytjj
    Outside of one seminar I've never paid for any BJJ instruction. My instructor has taught for several years for free. We train at the local YMCA in a raquetball court where we drag our mats out to and back to the storage room every class. Some people just love the art enough to teach for free. Talk to the guy about it, you should be able to tell if he is passionate about the art.

nothing is for free my friend. The massages you give him, the lingerie photos you let him take of you - all of this takes time. Time = money

Posted On:
    5/22/2006 1:20pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People who run a free club, and aren't looking to make a living off of it sometimes don't have to compromise as much when they are teaching. They can run things like they want it to be run, rather than having to add kiddie classes and go easy just to keep attendance and earnings up.

From my experience, there's less chance of BS if someone is teaching for the love of it, rather than just to make money. Especially if they're a hands-on trainer, as any decent BJJ instructor should be.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123