Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2006 6:14pm

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How to Spot BJJ B.S?

Okay so here is my situation, I'm a orange belt in american/mixed/classic/whatever the hell you want to call it, Ju-Jitsu.
    We have class two nights a week for an hour because our instructor is a cop and he can't make it more than two days a week. I do an hour of MMA weekly or four hours if I can make it on saturday. (I also do Kali, but I digress)

Anyway, we have a new instructor coming, who I have yet to be informed the name of, and he is going to be teaching class tomorrow. He is from brazil and has his purple belt and will be instructing class as BJJ on monday. The owner of the school is hoping to bring him in as a regular instructor so that we can have class four nights a week.

As I have no formal experience with BJJ and Im not sure of the difference inherent in the fundamentals between standard and BJJ.
    My question is, and this goes out to the experienced BJJ'rs here, are there anyways of telling if this guy is bullshit out of the gate? Or in general?
    He is going to be instructing class here for a bit and perhaps he may gain a permanent position.
    Which is why I would like to know if anyone has any advice on how to spot obvious frauds or people who are just pretending in BJJ. As when it comes to BJJ I don't know my ass from my elbow, I really have no way of knowing whether he is a good instructor with actual merit, or if he is just going to snow the class and pretend to be showing us **** that is completely... well... ****.

Any advice, would be nice, once I get the name of him I will see if I can't get any info on his back ground.

Thanks in advance.

(I ran some searches and didn't get any results, but if this has already been asked then just kindly delete this and redirect me to where I need to go)

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    5/21/2006 6:27pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We could help you a whole lot more if we knew the purple belt's name and the name of the person who trained him.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2006 6:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will be getting that on tomorrow, as I said, and I will make sure to tell you fine fellows first thing. But at the moment I was wondering if there was any general advice or common knowledge that I need know on how to spot someone who knows their **** vs. someone who is faking it.

Posted On:
    5/21/2006 6:39pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well classically you could always just see if he can tap you guys out easily or not.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    5/21/2006 6:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If he's from Brazil and is a purple belt the odds of there being BS is extremely low.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2006 6:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well something that throws me, and I apologize I should have included this in the original post.

My schools owner is in a bit of a financial jam because he doesnt teach Bullshido and no one around here wants to do things the hard way. And we just moved to a bigger building and got an actual ring put in as part of an arrangement with the local amateur wrestlers. Anyway, so he is at the moment making ends meet, and he told this new guy that he would not be able to pay him at least not now.

But the guy offered to teach for free until he could be paid. This is what sent my hackles up. As a rule of thumb, so far as I know, people who know their **** generally don't teach for free.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2006 6:53pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ is a sport with a tremendous amount of rolling, can't you tell this way?

I know some BJJ guys that teach their stuff for free. Afterall, if you are willing to be a grappling partner, you deserve to be taught something. I am a low life 4 stripe blue but if I roll with a newbie and they have some questions, I will answer them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2006 7:15pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
    Well classically you could always just see if he can tap you guys out easily or not.
    Pretty much sums it up. I would say that a decent purple belt trained in Brazil is probably going to be tapping out the whole class.

Like they said before, with a name and the name of the person who trained him one can much pretty know if he is bullshido.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    5/21/2006 7:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Binary
    Well something that throws me, and I apologize I should have included this in the original post.

My schools owner is in a bit of a financial jam because he doesnt teach Bullshido and no one around here wants to do things the hard way. And we just moved to a bigger building and got an actual ring put in as part of an arrangement with the local amateur wrestlers. Anyway, so he is at the moment making ends meet, and he told this new guy that he would not be able to pay him at least not now.
    What do amatuer wrestlers need with a ring?

But the guy offered to teach for free until he could be paid. This is what sent my hackles up. As a rule of thumb, so far as I know, people who know their **** generally don't teach for free.
    Your rule of thumb is WRONG. I know many pple that teach for free as long as it generates intrest. I have taught for free myself to help make more pple intrested.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    5/21/2006 7:40pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD ASIA
    Your rule of thumb is WRONG. I know many pple that teach for free as long as it generates intrest. I have taught for free myself to help make more pple intrested.
    My instructor is still working to build the school up enough to pay for a bigger location (he just signed the lease on Thursday). He has not yet paid himself for teaching, and he's got to pay for a whole new set of mats before he plans on paying himself. Mats cost thousands of dollars, so in about 3 years, he'll probably start paying himself a little.

Maybe the purple belt is just so happy to be training again that he doesn't care?
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast