Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2006 9:32pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

preformance anxiety

Well, i've made the decision to leave my TKD dojang. And i've searched around, I plan to goto a Muay Thai gym in Philidelphia, and this local MMA place as well. I'm worried that I'll be expected to preform at a higher level then other people, due to previous training. Anyone have some stories about switching training places, the good the bad the ugly type of stuff?

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    5/19/2006 9:41pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if you've told them about your previous tkd experience, i think the last thing you have to worry about is high expectations.

more seriously, if your new instructors are any good and you show a strong willingness to train and learn, wtf are you worried about?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2006 9:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't tell him about the tkd as much as Kick Boxing, its not that I made myself look good, but I guess i'm nervous about being around a whole new group of martial artists and all that.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    5/19/2006 10:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ya know the best part about sports MA gyms? It doesn't matter what you made yourself out to be, or what you claim to be...what you really are will shine through within the first three classes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2006 11:14pm

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now, I have no actual factual basis on this, but that has yet to stop me.

As I know I think it works a bit like prison. Either **** up a guard on your first day or kill someone. That way they won't mess with you because they know you are crazy.
    Though I'm not sure how the cross shanking laws work when converting from one gym to another. The laws of shankinomics are still being actively defined so are readily subject to change. But I believe if you do it on tuesday then you are allowed a shive no longer than your hand from palm to finger tip.

Seriously? Just give it your all, and hang the lot of them if they give you any **** for it. You're there doing what you can, and that is all they can expect out of you.
    More power to you for getting out of TKD though.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    5/20/2006 1:29pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just hang and enjoy yourself. You've put on the figurative white belt and admited you have something to learn - that gets you respect.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    5/20/2006 1:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtschneider
    Well, i've made the decision to leave my TKD dojang. And i've searched around, I plan to goto a Muay Thai gym in Philidelphia, and this local MMA place as well. I'm worried that I'll be expected to preform at a higher level then other people, due to previous training. Anyone have some stories about switching training places, the good the bad the ugly type of stuff?
    :thebirdma

Not to burst you bubble.But how well do you think you will be?You may be leaving one striking style for another but MT is supposed to be hard in cardio.You could become gassed after 5 minutes of warm-up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2006 2:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm in pretty good shape compared to what I was a year ago. Having lost hella weight, i'm hoping to find something more strenuous then what my previous training offered. My way of looking at it is if I get gassed, so be it. I'll work upto being able to do a whole class constructively instead of suckin wind.

By the way, the MMA class went well.

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    5/20/2006 2:35pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think if you explain that you have done TKD, they will expect you to perform at a much lower level, especially at the clinch and ground ranges. They might expect you can kick well but that is about it.

I have a story about switching training places... I walked into a Gracie Barra Brazilian Jiu Jitsu school with my Karate Gi, and walked out with a torn Karate Gi and a damaged elbow joint capsule. Gave me something to ponder for the next 4 months.
    Last edited by BSDaemon; 5/20/2006 2:38pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2006 2:47pm

Style: Kung Fu/TKD/MMA n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I joined an MMA club about 3 months ago, my kung fu teachers train there too, so the MMA guys knew I at least semi-knew how to fight. as soon as I mentioned I do TKD as well, they made me go right back to basics. And I've been promised that I'll get TKD sucks jokes for at least another 5 years (how long I did TKD for). luckily for me, I don't suck too badly, so I don't get mocked too much.
    anyhoo, to answer your question, chances are if you tell them you do TKD they'll laugh and take the piss a bit. If you really put the effort in, admit your weaknesses and are prepared to learn, they shouldn't rag on you too much.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast