Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2006 11:46pm

Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAB MY WRIST
    My point is that, J Kano was creating a physical education syllabus based on Japanese Budo arts, and he was open minded enough to allow teachers of other jujutsu school to help him formulate his education materials. M. Ueshiba was a teacher of a branch of Jujutsu, and indeed a man of good caliber, so it would not be surprising that J. Kano wanted to learn a thing or two from this man.
    It was a bit more then that.

Kodokan Judo was created in part to improve the standing of Jujutsu in Japanese society, raising it up from its association with street thugs and antiquated ideas, while at the same time preserving what Kano considered the best of Budo.

Once Kano had shown that his methods of teaching produced better fighters then the other Ryuha at the time he began the process of inviting as many traditional bujutsu instructors to the Kodokan to teach what they knew. When these teachers were good he would often send his better students to learn the complete Ryu if possible so they could integrate it into the Kodokan's archives.

In the case of Ueshiba, Kano was impressed by his control of timing and balance wihtout unnecessary force, seeing in his Aiki methods the same notion that he was trying to teach as "Ju." He sent Tomiki to train with Ueshiba to both learn the entire curriculm of Daito-ryu as well as Ueshiba's attempt to modernize that school. While speculative he was probably hoping to influence Ueshiba to adopt the "Scientific" and "Modern" theoretical framework he had used to make Budo acceptable to Japanese polite society.

The later part didn't really work out but Tomiki did bing back the Daito-ryu to the Kodokan as well as the formative version of Aikido and atempted to integrate it within a Kodokan framework. How sucessful that integration was is up for debate as Tomiki's branch of Aikido is seen as deeply heretical by many mainline Aikidoka and never really caught on strongly with most Judoka.

It's too bad since for a long time Tomiki Aikido Randori was basically Judo with expanded joint locks and knifework. It can teach people pretty quickly how to execute wrist locks, spine/neck throws, etc. in an effective manner against resisting opponents familiar with and capable of countering the same methods. This is something almost entirely missing from the primary lines of Aikido and has helped contribute to that arts descent into Granola Hell.

But don't believe me, go research this stuff yourself.

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    5/19/2006 11:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will.

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja

Posted On:
    5/20/2006 4:02pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: JJJ/Judo[Nidan] BJJ[Blue]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Probably cause Ueshiba was a badass and used to throw people through the floor of his dojo. Not the Hippie **** passes as Aikido now.

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    5/20/2006 4:26pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pl4zM4
    Probably cause Ueshiba was a badass and used to throw people through the floor of his dojo. Not the Hippie **** passes as Aikido now.
    I told people like you to shutup. Why am i on bullshido I said I was going to look this up.

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja

Posted On:
    5/20/2006 4:55pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: JJJ/Judo[Nidan] BJJ[Blue]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jones, Kano sent his Judo guys to study with many systems and recurited a bunch of guys from other system. What more do you want to know?

Posted On:
    5/20/2006 7:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
    Okay no one give me the answer. Especially DCS. Can you at least give me the names of books or sites?
    1.- Suggestion: Do what Asia said.
    2.- Disclaimer: I have a real life outside the intherweb, so i don't read everything that's posted here.
    3.- Hint: "I think that there must be a method of randori and shiai that includes the atemi-waza, provided that we devise it gradually and only after thorough investigation. That system, however, is not as easy as the ones in which the relative merits are decided by throwing (nage) or restraining (osae) an opponent." (Prof. Jigoro Kano, 1926, quoted by Tomiki Kenji)
    5.- Rant: Naginata-jitsu is for ladies.
    6.- FIY: Draeger, Judoinfo and Aikido Journal are your friends.

My pleasure.

Posted On:
    5/21/2006 3:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: yang taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    tomiki was Kano's student. That's a laugh.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2006 12:27pm

Style: Ju d'oh!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You guys stop shitting up this thread you don't know anything.

Am I included in that? I even said my information came from a (likely) biased source. But it was all I had.

And I remembered what I had asked my freinds Aikido teacher: It was about Seagal, I thought he was Judo at the time, and we ended up having a brief discussion of Judo as opposed to Aikido.

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 1:03am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay I found my answer.
    You guys stop shitting up this thread you don't know anything.
    GMW, Asia, and DCS are excluded from this list.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 8:47am

Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GMW, Asia, and DCS are excluded from this list.
    :sad6:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast