Style
    n/a
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Newbie here - need advice

I've been searching around the Newbietown threads and have found quite a few great threads. Although, I haven't found anything that scratches my itch.

I'm 19, work a full time job, and I am really serious about starting with MA. I just don't know what I should do because I want to commit as much time as possible to learning and training. My aim is to stay with MA for a long time and get involved with MMA competition.

I'm really interested in Kickboxing and Jujitsu. A local school teaches both Kickboxing and Goshinbudo, so I'm thinking of going with that school.

Anyone have any advice as to the best road to take on my way to MMA competition?

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens! supporting member

Style
    karate / bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it is usually difficult to go wrong with boxing, kickboxing, muay thai, judo, wrestling, or bjj. either find a dedicated mma gym or try a combination of the above. most other styles can be highly variable, and require more research into specific schools (not that you shouldn't research before joining a school teaching something on the above list, mind you).

if you want the 'nutrider special,' go for mt and bjj.

all that said, the biggest thing about deciding where to train is remembering that NOTHING matters more than the instructor. if you find someone who supports your goals and understands how to help you advance towards them, it doesn't matter what style he nominally teaches.
    Last edited by pauli; 6/02/2006 9:42pm at .

Style
    n/a
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for the advice pauli. I'm contemplating private lessons once I find the school that feels the best and get into the swing of things. is private lessons something I should consider later?

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens! supporting member

Style
    karate / bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    private lessons would be a poor use of funds for a beginner.

Style
    Kyokushin
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree, learn the basics of a style before paying for one on one training.