Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2006 12:22am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Karl Gotch Indian mace swinging

http://www.scientificwrestling.com/public/160.cfm?sd=2

Exercises that legendary catch wrestler and trainer Karl Gotch does with an Indian mace. He's big on Indian maces and Indian clubs for training. Here he's training some Japanese wrestlers, showing them some mace techniques. What makes this crazy is that he's an old geezer, and in better shape than like 90% of people walking around. The Maces are I believe 25 pounds.

Competition Team Tag...yes?

Posted On:
    5/20/2006 10:45am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great find, QJ. That video is inspirational. I love seeing the old schoolers doing their badassness.

Aloha, Poi
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/20/2006 11:16am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually saw an Indian guy do that in a video I watching in an anthropology class.

Anyone know the point of doing that? It looked like some sort of ritual in the native context.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2006 7:38pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its a strength exercise, I'm not sure what exactly is works though. I've heard from a few people that have tried thats its hard as ****. Its a 25 lbs ball, but feels like ALOT more cause of the long pole. The Japanese guys in that video include a young Funaki (pancrase fighter) and a young Sakuraba.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/20/2006 9:39pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kein Haar
    I actually saw an Indian guy do that in a video I watching in an anthropology class.

Anyone know the point of doing that? It looked like some sort of ritual in the native context.
    It's hard as ****, specially for your wrists and forearms. What makes the exercise hard is that the entire weight is at the end of a handle (as QuickJab pointed out.)

I saw a documentary of Iranian wrestlers practicing an old form of training using heavy clubs as well. They hold one in each hand and swing them back and forth. That, and after reading other material, I decided to make two out of plastic baseball bats (the big fat ones for kids.) I filled them up with sand and compacted it with a stick until the bats got hard as concrete. They weight about 10lbs each.

Now, the thing is, I used every other day by holding them by the end of the handle and swing them horizontally in a open-arm, cross-arm movement. My wrists and the base of the thumbs get numb after a short while.

So I can only imagine how much harder it would be to the same or similar movements with a weight twice as much (25lbs+) with a much, much longer handle as in the video. What Gotch is doing is reminescent of some exercises for grip and foream strenght.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    11/08/2008 10:57pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: karate and kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    how did you access this video ?