Posted On:
    7/02/2008 11:43am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kobayashi-ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontsight
    :occasion1

Well, ronin752, you need to flush-out your headgear and stop viewing Frank through "rose-colored glasses". Based upon my experience with Frank, I would seriously doubt any academic or business creditials he may put forth. For all we know, Frank's graduating from a Japanese university might be another of his lies. He admits flunking-out of a local university during the past few years because "his writings were to spiritual". Go to his website and read his "subprime" attempt at writing. I've read his e-mails and listened to him pontificate his views on history, culture and governement, and was not impressed at all. Ronin 752 and I must have vastly different academic and intellectual standards. At best, Frank is a pseudo-intellectual... in my opinion, a cross between two hucksters: Al Sharpton and Jimmy Swaggard.

However, the one area we all agree that Frank is expert in is Okinawan Karate. He is one of the best I ever trained under. Frank is a walking Okinawan Karate encyclopedia. His is also a gifted instructor, from whom I learned a great deal. His interpretation of kata changed and greatly improved my karate, even though I come from another branch of Shorin-ryu than Frank. I study his DVD's on a regular basis.

We as students, and especially Blackbelts, have a duty and an obligation to warn others about the pitfalls of dishonorable and dishonest instructors. Frank deserted his dojo in Newport News, Virginia ...leaving it "high & dry," without any warning to his instructors and students. According to the sensei he left behind and his assistant, Frank also drained the dojo's bank account shortly afterwards. Sadly, the real victims of Frank's desertion are the kids who he let-down and ripped-off.

Now that Frank has relocated his circus to Hawaii, I do not want up- and -coming karate students there to be preyed-upon, like the ones he left in Virginia. Keeping quiet about Frank's personal conduct is what con-men like Frank hope for in order for them to continue ripping students off. Ronin752 should be embarrassed advocating not speaking-out about karate instructors like Frank. BTW, Frank has been successfully sued by a former student in James City County, Virginia in a warrant -in-debt for failure to honor a contract. The judge in that case must have agreed with Frank's Federal Judge that his organization is a "sham ."
    Wow, you attempt to assess my intellectual and academic standards based upon one opinion. That is just a bit of an overgeneralization, you think. I am not going to defend his character. That is a battle I can't win. I can't verify his degree from a Japanese University, either. But the mere fact that he can speak Japanese fluently suggest he is articulate, if nothing else. 2nd or 3rd grade education, is that realistic???

Many people have reason to be angry with Hargrove, but to question his karate credentials or his intellectual ability is absurd. To manage, even mismanage 95 or more dojos, speak 2 different langauages and obtain the wealth of karate knowledge suggest intellect. To scam people takes intellect. I am not defending him, but I get really sick of people attacking his karate credentials and yet at the same time to do Karate from the Nakazato-ha lineage. If his karate credentials are suspect, and you do kobayashi from the same lineage, then you are in essence negating your own credibility. If the arguments were about his character, I would have kept my mouth [pen?, cursor?:new_scatt ] shut. But the original poster asked about his credentials if I am not mistaken. I just would like to see people be honest. If from personal experience, someone knows he did something wrong, that person should say it. But to question if he wrote the book, or attack his karate knowledge, is just as dishonorable.

Posted On:
    7/17/2008 7:21am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shorin-Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

FYI

Just a heads up. He's at it again. Watch out for anything from The International Federation of Okinawan Karate-Do http://www.frankhargrove.com/ifok.html

Same chapter, different verse:

From the web site:
    ===================
    Kokusai Okinawan Karate-Do Renmei
    is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to preserving the art of traditional Okinawan Karate-Do. Today there are more than 30,000 karate dojos (schools) outside Okinawa, some are traditional, some are not. When traditional Okinawan Karate-do came to the West in 1950, shortly after WW II, it was brought to North America in the hearts and minds of many of the American soldiers who are now Mastersof Okinawan Karate-Do featured on this site. These American GIs were karate-do pioneers in their homeland, with a hope and a mission of offering the wisdom and goodness of their art for the benefit of those who wanted to learn.

Initially, those who came to train were the strong, the spirited and the able-bodied. But over the years, the eyes of many were opened to the tremendous depth and power that martial arts training brings to individual development -- regardless of age and level of natural physical ability. Karate training today is widely recognized as an art form that deeply affects the entire person, helping to balance body, mind and spirit.
    Since the early 80's, the trend has been for more young people to come to train in dojos of Okinawan Karate. The concept of specialized training geared toward the development of character and vitures in the youth generation has become the focus on many Okinawan Karate schools. Youth are encouraged to get involved in karate training as a tool of self-development. Today young people face various problems in their developmental process. Okinawan Karate training has service as a wonderful addition to the educational tools avalible to parents.

The International Federation of Okinawan Karate-Do aspires to contribute to the development of peace by helping people develop great self defense for themselves with karate-do practice.

The federation's founding members all practice and teach traditional Okinawan Karate-Do in the western world. All are respected worldwide for their leading contributions to the martial arts, and to other fields as well, including education, philosophy, religion and community. To learn more about each of International Federation 's Founding Masters, please click here. Further, International Federation holds various events to help foster the practice and the understanding of the philosophy of traditional karate-do in North America and worldwide. If you are interested in making a contribution to our organization, we accept donations .
    ================

Only through vigilance can the problems of the past be avoided.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/17/2008 8:52am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronin752
    But to question if he wrote the book, or attack his karate knowledge, is just as dishonorable.
    No, it isn't. As is often repeated the "honor" of not questioning someone because, they are Grand Pooba this and that, leads to the problems detailed in this thread.

Scholars question who wrote the bible, who wrote many of Shakespeare's plays, and even if Stephen King wrote so many books.

Basically, if you can critique famous books plus writers, Hargrove can be critiqued.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2008 9:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the info JS. I am Frank's estranged wife and haven't been able to locate him. I knew he was in Hawaii but this gives me the information I need. By the way, he accepts donations now??? That's interesting considering he owes back child support. I suppose he will use the donations only to his benefit.

Posted On:
    7/17/2008 9:35am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is what you do. And I say this a lawyer who formally handled child support matters.

1) Get copy of your child support order from court file.
    2) Go to the state agency which handles child support matters in your state. (bring a book, you'll have to wait in line)
    3) Ask them to open a case on your ex-husband for collection purposes, so using the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA) they can transfer the case to Hawaii, obtain jurisdiction over your ex, and drag him into court.

I could tell you if it was worth retaining private counsel in Hawaii if you could tell me what the weekly order, was and the seize of his arreage.

Just to be clear, I am licensed in Connecticut and not Virginia or Hawaii.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2008 9:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you Sam. I will exactly as you suggested. By the way, he owes me $22,000 in back support. I was a fool and got mixed up with him again. We now have two month old twins and I will be seeking support for them. Thanks again.

Posted On:
    7/17/2008 10:09am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I woulds suggest getting the order established through the UIFSA (Virginia to Hawaii) and see how well they work out.

Posted On:
    7/17/2008 10:15am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have two month old twins, he will have the right to dispute paternity. Do not take offense. He will be served with a separate motion to establish paternity for these children, you will cooperate with a DNA test. If he is found to be the father he gets to pay for the DNA test. In any case you will not have to pay for such test. Then based on a financial affidavit from you, and a finding of paternity they will set a new order for the twins as well.

Keep in your mind that Virginia where you presumably are, will be able to transfer the existing order to Hawaii with very little problems. It is establishing the new order which will be a pain in the neck but it can be done. It will take longer, and please understand that you have two cases instead of one.

Please also bring to the child support office any documents in which he acknowledged paternity for the twins if such documents exist.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2008 8:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Despite being married, he can still dispute the paternity? Well it doesn't matter. I'll let my attorney handle everything. There are so, so many factors. I don't want to bore you with the details. But thanks Sam. I appreciate it.
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast