Sponsored Links Spacer Image

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 3:38pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobayashi
    The seminar that I'm referring to had I believe 5 Renshi's (5th and 6th dans) and were from all across the country - they all had around 15-20 years of experience in the Shorinkan.
    Do you call them Renshi when at the bar after training?

If so, that is 5 Renshis too many for me. I can excuse LARPer Japanofiles on the mat occasionally calling their instructor something other then Sensei, but anywhere else goes too far.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 4:19pm

Style: Baguazhang

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Askari
    Do you call them Renshi when at the bar after training?

If so, that is 5 Renshis too many for me. I can excuse LARPer Japanofiles on the mat occasionally calling their instructor something other then Sensei, but anywhere else goes too far.
    Nakazato set the tone, so to speak, as he wanted to be referred to as "sensei". So, it was hubris for any other instructor to demand to be referred to as anything else (e.g., Renshi, Kyoshi). I'm still good friends with my former instructor and refer to him as Renshi - it's my personal choice.

As for being Japanofiles, some in the organization are, others are down to earth. I was not interested in Kubudo mainly because I believe it is LARPing, how useful is developing skills with weapons such as the bo, tonfa, sai, eaku, kama, etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2007 9:17am

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow and all I was wondering was if the dojo I was looking at was on the up and up. Didn't know it was gonna cause such an uproar.

On the other hand I did end up going to that dojo because I liked the instructor and he is no longer affiliated with any organization. It's very laid back and an enjoyable learning environment.

Thanks for the replies :)

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 11:51am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: shorin ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ihatemc dojos,

i have seen that it is easy to talk bad when you go unidetified.

i have training with Hargrove Kyoshi for many years. he rasied from the time i was 13 years old. when i say rasied i mean live in his house. so i ask where do you get your information. you have half truths that i would love to know about.
    i learned great karate from him, and learned about lving with bushido. i have seen 95% of the people that are against hargrove Kyoshi trainied not jsut under him but was under him in the shorin ryu shorin kan ass.

please do not speak of my teacher without know your facts. he did get in trouble but not for what you are saying. you attack his honor for no cause.

i will end this is if you do speak of him in a negative manner use your real name. mine is joseph p. niemiec i live in charleston sc.

My teacher had giri to nagazato hanshi and for that he will never tell what went on. giri is somthing i think all the people in america that training under hargrove must learn (and americans must know).

so with this said do not speak false information about my teacher. he is a great teacher and a human with honor.

have honor who is your teacher, who are you. id yourself.

hargrove gave me prime training in shoirin ryu, and i am not saying that it is the best style (cause we all know it is the practictor not the style) real training that i use every day as a police officer in the 20th must dang city in the nation.

thank you for you time and train hard fellow martial artist, because that is what matters.

Joseph Niemiec

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 6:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dear Joseph, as much as I think IHateMcDojos came across as a bit misguided, I must say that your post is hardly better. You say that Hargrove did get in trouble, what trouble?

You also say that you are a police officer, implying that that validates Hargrove's martial arts teachings. How so?
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 9:57pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i apoligize.

i am not here to validate styles nor teachers. i am just simply saying that he changed my life with his martial arts teaching. i apoligize if i seemed to mean anything diffrent. if i came across as i was some great person, or that his teaching makes me a kick as cop. all i know i that i went from a snot nose child to a responsible adult witht he sole help from him.

as for what he got in trouble for that is something he can talk about himself, or i will speak with him first.

i do not want to miss guide, nor sound like i am backing out, but it is someones personal life and i have to respect that until i speak with him. but i do say it was to do with taxes.

again kick my blog was spontanius and not well thought through, i just belve that if you are going to speak of someone in such a way you would want to have all the facts.

Posted On:
    7/13/2007 12:57pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember years ago in Baltimore being at a seminar Hargroves was teaching... so my comments are based on impressions, not facts. It is ironick that when Hargroves was giving his seminar at least a few teachers in Baltimore were having serious legal problems... I know that Arnold Mitchell had just gone to jail and a few of Rawkin's students were having legal issues. The irony is that Hargroves was obviously not touched by these problems. AS a matter of fact if you could have drawn a picture of an upstanding karate guy Hargroves could have been the model for that picture.

Hargroves presented as a traditionalist, which was very different than most in the Okinawan karate scene in Baltimore. Most teachers and their students were fighters and had little interest in anything that was not flashy (regarding forms) and in anything that would not break somoene up in a confrontation. It says a lot that Hargroves could hold this group's respect and he did. I think my teacher (Willie Ben) was typical for that group of fighters and his comments were also typical when he said Kobudo was not his thing but Hargroves was for real.

Hargroves was well conditioned, well informed and had a great sense of humor. The guy may have been smooth, but smooth like a single malt scotch... not like somoene trying to talk you out of money, or trying to take students. Truth is in Baltimore at this time you had to have some confidence and skill to walk into a room and clown around with students of Riley Hawkins, Arnold Mitchell, etc.

With that little background info provided I want to say that I would find it hard to believe that Hargoves is anything close to Bullshido. You have my point of reference for this statement above.

Darrell Simon

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    7/13/2007 3:07pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is this feudal Japan?

Giri is a Japanese value roughly corresponding to "duty", "obligation", or even "burden of obligation" in English, but one with a far more pervasive influence on the Japanese world view and culture than its English equivalent. It is defined as "to serve one's superiors with a self-sacrificing devotion" by Namiko Abe.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giri
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2007 1:24pm

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As being the original poster of this thread. My intent was only to validate that the style of budo taught under him was a valid representation of the original style and that he didn't leave because of some bastardization of the style intended to produce money and turn over students. Basically I wanted to know if what I was learning was true to the original style which from all the threads above seems it is.

Now that I've been doing it for 2 years and know everything there ever is to know I'll go start my own dojo. Similar to 24 hours fitness this will be 24 hour Blackbelt.

kall.

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 1:34am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    know everything there is to know. okay
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast