My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    5/18/2006 10:32am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So true!

However pple use the "health, exercise, forging the spirit, learning culture, confidence, fun, social outlet, and etc" line to cover the reason why the keep getting the asses handed to them. Which is a slap in the face to all that came before them. You know the guys that went out faced challenges and test their skills.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2006 5:04pm

Style: aikido, taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    Colour me unimpressed by this arguement.
    Well, I'm not trying to persuade here, just pointing out that likewise many people are unimpressed by referring to combat sports, as if the situation of combat sports pertains to the average Joe/Jane.

I won fights when the only martial art I studied was fencing, does this validate the foil as a training tool for teh str33t?
    It may help somewhat in general as far as using weapons in real life situations. Evangelista has a book out called Fighting with Sticks that has discussion on how fencing skills translate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2006 5:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD ASIA
    If you think you're doing Taijiquan like it was during the warring eras of China then you are WRONG.
    Hmm, I don't think I do believe that.

Pple then didn't practice MA fo culture, social outlet and other BS they did it for a very simple reson, TO FIGHT.
    I don't disagree with that. But we live in modern times and we can afford to get many benefits from martial arts, not just limit it to combat. You may write off the "health" reason as "BS", but to many that is the most important aspect. It does no good, afterall, to be the baddest mofo martial artist in the graveyard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2006 5:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    haha, lol.

I love that my post was edited (for no valid reason). I'd say it proves insecurity (despite much puffery here), but that would be stating it politely. :)

Phrost, you're typically open for discussion even if you disagree with it from what I've seen. I don't disagree with the moving of the post, but the editing of the content of my post by Shuma-Gorath? Is that acceptable to you?

Anyway, I'm not sure how Thornton's video made me "cry". Hmm, in fact I wrote that I thought that one can be effective fighter and be well trained there, etc. I just think that what he talked about wasn't any big revelation, and that saying things are dead, worthless, etc., flies in the face of the non-extraordinary fact of people being able to use their arms and legs to defend themselves that has been going on for thousands of years, way before the MMA fad.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2006 5:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by P A Smith
    Just because you only want...

"health, exercise, forging the spirit, learning culture, confidence, fun, social outlet, and etc"
    Well hold on a sec, you're attributing things to me I do not hold. I said
    (bold added)

---
    This misses the mark considerably IMNSHO, considering that the "dead" martial arts have been very effective for many, many years (people couldn't fight effectively pre-UFC huh???) for fighting as well as non-martial aspects such as health, exercise, forging the spirit, learning culture, confidence, fun, social outlet, and etc. Many of these practicioners aren't interested in training for sport events and winning fake gold belts, much like MMA people aren't interested in participating in t'ai chi sensing hands tournaments.
    ---

I did not say "only" for non-martial things, but these things in addition to the fighting.

Posted On:
    5/18/2006 5:25pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That forum is run in a different fashion than the rest of the ones here. Double check the description. We're still working on nailing down the particulars of things though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2006 5:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD ASIA
    However pple use the "health, exercise, forging the spirit, learning culture, confidence, fun, social outlet, and etc" line to cover the reason why the keep getting the asses handed to them.
    Using it successfully in a real life situation (not sports), as many others have done, is just the opposite of that.

Which is a slap in the face to all that came before them. You know the guys that went out faced challenges and test their skills.
    Not at all. It is saying that in addition to fighting there are many other beneficial aspects of the martial arts.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    5/18/2006 6:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm, I don't think I do believe that.
    Que? You don't think you are doing Taijiquan like it was done then? Then you are right.

But we live in modern times and we can afford to get many benefits from martial arts, not just limit it to combat. You may write off the "health" reason as "BS", but to many that is the most important aspect. It does no good, afterall, to be the baddest mofo martial artist in the graveyard.
    Last time I checked pple still get in fights and war still goes on in this modern times. So Martial Arts hasn't lost its purpose so why bog it down with things you can get elswhere? It also does no good to be a lamb to the slaughter.

I just think that what he talked about wasn't any big revelation, and that saying things are dead, worthless, etc., flies in the face of the non-extraordinary fact of people being able to use their arms and legs to defend themselves that has been going on for thousands of years, way before the MMA fad.
    You're not getting it. We KNOW pple have been using their arms and legs to fight for thousands of years. We recognize that the oldest forms of MA come form Africa and were basicly boxing and wrestling and submission wrestling, unarmed wise. We know the Pankration was an event that allowed both striking and grappling. We know that every warrior culture used sport fighting to hone real fighting skills. This we all recognize. What we have been saying is that the socalled Traditional MArtist are far removed form what pple did before yet think they are doing it the same way.

Using it successfully in a real life situation (not sports), as many others have done, is just the opposite of that.
    See above.

It is saying that in addition to fighting there are many other beneficial aspects of the martial arts.
    Not really. What you say are other beneficial aspects of MA is the same for ANY long term physical, mental, or social endeavour. Fact of the matter is there are other activities that are better suited to building those other beneficial aspects but pple keep trying to at like a) MA was made for those things and b) that MA is the only place to get them. Both are incorrect.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    5/18/2006 6:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All glass and lava jokes notwithstanding, could someone explain to me what exactly is so fucking different about a punch thrown on the street and a punch thrown in the ring?
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Posted On:
    5/18/2006 6:38pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Clearly on the street we are wearing shirts whereas in the ring we are not. The weight from the sleeves of the shirt will surely slow down my attacker's punch allowing me to employ a myriad of moves that don't work in the gym for various illogical reason.
Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast