Posted On:
    5/18/2006 7:07am

supporting member
     Style: American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by eyebeams
    Just ignore him.

Anyway, he's back in that thread, holding court on T3h str33t and how it's only the rules that make you tuck your chin, instead of the desire not to get knocked out, hit in the throat or choked.

Incidentally, this is his SL-4 in action -- for T3h str33t.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...851539&q=kenpo

Again, it's dangerous advice to be handing out to folks. That';s why I brought it up.
    While I disagree with Chapel on MANY, MANY points, he's correct with the chin up. And though you think common practice is chin down, it's just not sound advice because it's used commonly. Having the chin down misaligns the spine and corrupts your movement in the lower quadrant much more than you may think, and I prove it time after time. If you're getting hit on the bottom of the chin, it's because you suck, and it's obvious that you'll need more work moving the target, moving the weapon, or moving both so they're not there to hit you at that particular point.

I do agree, the vids suck serious ass and I can't believe people actually go for that SL4 ****.

BTW, I would've responded on MT but I was banned for being a bad boy and actually telling people the truth LOL.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde
    Saving Kenpo souls one at a time!

Put down your purse!

Speed is fine, but accuracy is final. Wyatt Earp, 1888

"For certain 'tis a shameful spite, and dreadful to the heart,
    For an Irishman to see a fight, and not be taking part."

--"How McPherson Held the Floor"

Posted On:
    5/18/2006 7:19am

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde
    While I disagree with Chapel on MANY, MANY points, he's correct with the chin up. And though you think common practice is chin down, it's just not sound advice because it's used commonly. Having the chin down misaligns the spine and corrupts your movement in the lower quadrant much more than you may think, and I prove it time after time.
    I'm not talking about a big tuck here like you might go for if you're infighting in a boxing ring. I'm talking about what's standard in CMA -- something that actually aligns your spine *better.* The process Chapel describes ain't it.

I do know that tucking to look down and overly hunching is a very, very common mistake (as "hunchback" Geary demonstrates in his stances in the other thread). It's not that either.

If you're getting hit on the bottom of the chin, it's because you suck, and it's obvious that you'll need more work moving the target, moving the weapon, or moving both so they're not there to hit you at that particular point.

Clyde
    Better people than me have taken a shot to the chin or jaw. While I would love to learn how to never, ever get hit there, with all due respect, I don't think EPAK has that mighty fu.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    5/18/2006 7:33am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So SL4 is all about extremely stylalized slapping of yourself and posing?

And by all means keep your chin up. It will make much more easier for me to whip yo ass!:evil:
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2006 9:11am

Style: Some time ago: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Again, it's dangerous advice to be handing out to folks. That';s why I brought it up.
    This video seems to be is missing the bit where the guy who is doing the grabbing then uses his left hand to throw a left cross while pulling the defender forward. YesNo?

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    5/18/2006 9:27am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mole5000
    This video seems to be is missing the bit where the guy who is doing the grabbing then uses his left hand to throw a left cross while pulling the defender forward. YesNo?
    What the hell's wrong with you!?!?! Pple don't do that in Kempoland, especially in SL4!!! :tongue3:
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    5/18/2006 9:50am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde
    While I disagree with Chapel on MANY, MANY points, he's correct with the chin up. And though you think common practice is chin down, it's just not sound advice because it's used commonly. Having the chin down misaligns the spine and corrupts your movement in the lower quadrant much more than you may think, and I prove it time after time.

Clyde
    can you draw me diagram .. maybe magic up a video or clear picture ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/18/2006 10:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just ignore him.

Anyway, he's back in that thread, holding court on T3h str33t and how it's only the rules that make you tuck your chin, instead of the desire not to get knocked out, hit in the throat or choked.

Ummm.....huh......where are the pom-poms....KempoFist I am truly sorry for your plight, but KEEP YOUR CHIN UP (lol) and keep fighitng the good fight my man.

Kenpo Instructor

Posted On:
    5/18/2006 6:20pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not talking about a big tuck here like you might go for if you're infighting in a boxing ring. I'm talking about what's standard in CMA -- something that actually aligns your spine *better.* The process Chapel describes ain't it.

I do know that tucking to look down and overly hunching is a very, very common mistake (as "hunchback" Geary demonstrates in his stances in the other thread). It's not that either.

Better people than me have taken a shot to the chin or jaw. While I would love to learn how to never, ever get hit there, with all due respect, I don't think EPAK has that mighty fu.
    Well, I can honestly say, I haven't taken a chin shot in close to 20yrs, and I sucked out loud then. OMG, I can't even believe how horrible Geary looked in those vids all hunched over like that. Had I been there I would've slapped him upside the head and asked him if he was going to pinch a loaf right there or what LOL.

And yes, EPAK does have the mighty fu, it's just most Kenpoists are scared to come train with me cuz it hurts them when they do. They've gotten so lax over the last 15 years or so.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Put down your purse!

Kenpo Instructor

Posted On:
    5/18/2006 6:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    can you draw me diagram .. maybe magic up a video or clear picture ?
    Can't give the magic thing or vid but look at how Royce holds his head when he fights, and that's a little too high for me as well. I'd have to say, chin 90 degrees to chest, or an upside down L, best I can do to describe it.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Put down your purse!

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    5/18/2006 10:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Clyde, you seem to get respect from others here that have trained/fought with you, but I'm sorry but I'm having trouble believing that somehow keeping your chin up is superior with Kenpo training than your chin tucked. The difference it makes in your ability to strike or grab is minimal, but the difference it makes in your chances of getting knocked out are great.

could you perhaps explain or give us some sort of video elaborating your point? Why would keeping your chin raised put you in any better of a position for executing strikes or techniques than with it tucked slightly?
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast