Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2003 2:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have seen a lot of MMA/TMA fighters smoking. Don't they know what it does to their abilities as an athelete? Or am I wrong?

Do you smoke? If so, are yo MMA or TMA fighter? Why do you smoke?

Just curious about this one. :)

Marasmos

Posted On:
    5/15/2003 3:14pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to be a competitive fighter, then smoking is pretty much out of the question, unless you have superhuman stamina.

But a lot of us do martial arts as a hobby, and are not willing to make certain sacrifices.

I quit smoking a couple of years ago, but for reasons unrelated to martial arts.
    You say what about my rice?

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    5/15/2003 3:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think I qualify as a SMOKER but I do enjoy a go cigar over a snifter of brandy every once in awhile.

Smoking I do feel is bad for you but it seems to affect pple differntly. We all know it causes cancer and that tobacco leaves have been tampere with to make them more addictice but it still pple do it. My unit, like many others in the military, has it share of smoker and dippers. It really hard to tell someone he should quite smoking and that its kill them when they have a score better on a PT test than you. I see guys that run 5 miles like the wind get done and they are not really winded then they go light up a cig. I don't get it.

______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!!
    THE TRUE FIST OF THE NORTHSTAR!!
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    5/15/2003 3:19pm

Style: lame

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I occasionally enjoy some good ol relaxing mother nature's herb!!!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2003 3:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah balloon, if weed was legal in the states and 1 company started to produce it im pretty sure they would be more wealthy than all of the cig comps combined. I have a theory that more people smoke weed than cigs. After all, cigs give you cancer!

Posted On:
    5/15/2003 3:47pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    bah, most brands of cigs suck

--
    Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
    (And my two creaky knees...)
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    5/15/2003 4:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "After all, cigs give you cancer!"

Hey asshole, just on the off chance you were being serious, weed gives you cancer too. It really doesn't matter what type of smoke it is, smoke in general is bad for you, PERIOD.

Ever notice you can't really use what I just did, the whole blah, blah, blah PERIOD thing, outside of verbal communcation. It loses somehting in print, because EVERYTHING is blah, blah, blah, period.

Anyway, about smoking and athletes. Many people do things that will give them a short-term performance benefit but long term health problems. Even if there isn't really any phyisological benefit, there can be a psychological one.

A friend of mine once told me that smoking increases you lung capacity and he would always smoke before a track meet. Never mind that you now larger lungs work less effciently and all that. All he needed for evidence was that his times were 5 to seconds lower when he smoked right before a race. Who knows, maybe it was all in his mind.

Anyway, I don't see a lot of martial artists smoking, but I live in CA and it is almost illegal to smoke anywhere here now.

<marquee>Dragon , Snake , Tiger , Leopard , Crane. R.M.F.A.F.T.A.T.! </marquee>

Edited by - Punisher on May 15 2003 16:03:37

The REAL thread killer

Posted On:
    5/15/2003 4:11pm

Style: World 10-3 Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most students and dans in my karate school are big drinkers. It seems pretty taboo in my ryu to smoke but I have met a few students who smoke all the time. I think there are a lot closet smokers.

Cast in the name of God. Ye not guilty.
    "The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time."

-- George Bernard Shaw

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2003 4:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am in Florida, so I see a lot of smokers here. And have noticed that many martial arts practioners smoke here. One guy told me he didn't inhale, just smokes because he likes the smell and taste of menthol. I understand that, because I too have always like the menthol smell.. Seems to open your sinuses and remove congestion.

Several people in my family smoke, and none of them have health problems. But, I am sure that something besides smoking always plays a role in smoking-related illnesses (i.e. obesity, poor diet, etc).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2003 4:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not sure about smoking. I don't know whether all smoking is bad or just heavy smoking. Like some of you've said, some people seem to be able to smoke without problems and others seem to get sick from just a puff of smoke.

I wonder if any of the top fighters in UFC or Pride smoke? Reason I am curious is I want to know how it affects MMA fighters and TMA fighters? Does it weaken their progress? Does it inhibit their ability to win fights? Hrmm.. I am just wierd I guess.. :) Haha
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast