Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2006 11:56am

Style: BJJ, WMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pl4zM4
    If I even meet Dale. I just probably just point and laugh at the Ninja. Kinda like the way you do to Monkeys at the zoo.
    I wonder if he'd fling poo in response...

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    5/24/2006 5:44pm

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    Don't mind Dale, he's just a little Set in his ways.
    Virus, you have to stop posting. Nothing can be funnier than this, ever. Quit while you're ahead. :)
    --
    L.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2006 6:24pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Virus,
    did you ever ask your instructor if he would consider add alive training to his classes? If so how did he react?

Posted On:
    5/24/2006 7:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceOfPain
    Hey Virus,
    did you ever ask your instructor if he would consider add alive training to his classes? If so how did he react?
    I did but he had difficulty understanding what aliveness was. I think he took it to mean just sparring, which he said is fine if you can find someone to do it with. That was partially the problem, one guy I asked to spar said he can't spar becuase he will eye gouge and bite and can't follow rules. The only other regular was probably about 1/2 my weight and I'd be concerned with him getting injured. My ex-sensei was very flexible on how classes were run but he really thought sparring and sport-style training was a joke. Once me and another guy who did BJJ decided to have a roll during class, everyone stopped training to watch. I could overhear sensei in the background telling everyone about how what we were doing was bullshit.

Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    5/24/2006 7:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't mind Dale, he's just a little Set in his ways.
    I shouldn't read this at work; people are looking at me wondering what I'm laughing at. I'd +rep you if I could.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2006 7:43pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did but he had difficulty understanding what aliveness was. I think he took it to mean just sparring, which he said is fine if you can find someone to do it with. That was partially the problem, one guy I asked to spar said he can't spar becuase he will eye gouge and bite and can't follow rules. The only other regular was probably about 1/2 my weight and I'd be concerned with him getting injured. My ex-sensei was very flexible on how classes were run but he really thought sparring and sport-style training was a joke. Once me and another guy who did BJJ decided to have a roll during class, everyone stopped training to watch. I could overhear sensei in the background telling everyone about how what we were doing was bullshit.
    Oh ****! I can see why you left. That kind of crap would leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth. Unless I am mistaken...I got the impression you only had a very small class. That would make sense if that was the logic there.

I must say, I have always been amazed by martial arts instructors that trash talk other styles. Do they really think they make themselves look better by making others look worse? Your sensei should have listened to you. Now he would have still had a high ranking student as well as a new "hook" to pick up new business..."Alive Bujinkun!"

Yesterday, my neighbour came over to speak with my wife. She is 24 years old and a black belt (wait for it) 4th dan in Karate. She had gotten her junior black at 15 but for some reason, her school never made her rank drop when she crossed over to the senior level. It just kept fucking growing. So now we have a 4th dan, who would have 7 new arseholes torn into her from some of the 2nd dans I know.

She tells me that her school is opening an MMA branch to their dojo, to increase business. She is to be one of the instructors. I say (out of politeness) how great that was and ask here what other styles they are incorporating into the new school. She tells me they areplanning on bringing an aikido instructor once a month for wrist locks. (Huh???) I suggested a BJJ instructor for groundwork. She said there was no need because she was going to do a 6 week course on BJJ

6 weeks?

People will come to them in the hope of learning an art that may one day save their life and you expect them to pin hopes to six weeks of experience?

I ask what other styles. There are no other styles. How the **** is that MMA? 90% Karate with 9.95% Aikido and 0.05% BJJ?

They think this is all they need. Sounds like your instructor.
    What I'm saying is that when people get into a mindset that what they do is not only right, nut all they will ever need...there's no fucking changing them

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    5/24/2006 10:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pl4zM4
    If I even meet Dale. I just probably just point and laugh at the Ninja. Kinda like the way you do to Monkeys at the zoo.
    Then once you find your dog mutilated nailed to a tree with its organs hanging out and a pentagram drawn in blood on your front step, you'll be in trouble.

Posted On:
    5/24/2006 10:59pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceOfPain
    Oh ****! I can see why you left. That kind of crap would leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth. Unless I am mistaken...I got the impression you only had a very small class. That would make sense if that was the logic there.

I must say, I have always been amazed by martial arts instructors that trash talk other styles. Do they really think they make themselves look better by making others look worse? Your sensei should have listened to you. Now he would have still had a high ranking student as well as a new "hook" to pick up new business..."Alive Bujinkun!"
    I did actually change the way he thought about sport arts, he used to think they were watered down versions of the old style d34dly, I used to think it too, but dispite the change of view he had, I think old habits are hard to break and he still didn't really accept sparring and alive drills as the best way to learn to fight. There were lots of reasons I left, that was only one. I had doubts about many of the core techniques (as in ten-chi-jin) material and kihon happo. Most of the core isn't terrible (some of it definatly is) but it is a little outdated. Audit the system for whats useable and applicable for alive training and you have kickboxing and judo with some dirty tricks. Many people put too much faith in the dirty tricks and not the core delivery system. I heard many people say things to the effect of:

"OMG Joodow guyz, just grab their hair they aren't ready for that they will cave in from the pain and you can pwn them. LOL KTHANKZ L8TA"
    Last edited by Virus; 5/24/2006 11:03pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 7:24am

Style: BBT/Flinging poo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Virus, this is an honest question for you. What, in your opinion, makes an art outdated? I hear this a lot, and I think people are using the word in an inaccurate way. Please explain what you mean.
    Last edited by Muqatil; 5/25/2006 7:25am at . Reason: can't spell for crap before my coffee

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 7:36am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Muqatil
    Virus, this is an honest question for you. What, in your opinion, makes an art outdated? I hear this a lot, and I think people are using the word in an inaccurate way. Please explain what you mean.
    I know you asked Virus but I would like to provide some input since I've defined this several times.

Arts (Skills) do indeed become out dated. The prime example I use is any art that falls under the heading KUMIUCHI. These various arts deal with fighting while wearing yoroi. This isn't done anymore, thus it is outdated. Kenjutst or Bikenjutsu because a sword is not a primary, and thus not practical, weapon for the battlefeild or Self Defense anymore. No the arguement of replacing a sword with a stick doesn't hold water. Since the movements are designed to CUT instead of blunt force they don't translate over well. And if it was that simple why did seperate arts for stick fighting develop?

When it comes to other forms of Koryu JJ some are still outdated becuase they came up to address certian social needs for that particular time. Would you need to invest alot of time on seiza waza? No because situations where you might be attaked in such a postition are extremely rare nowadays. Kukishinden has many areas the focused around fighting at sea with a bo or hanbo. How much call is ther efor that? Considering the pirates today use rifles.

So yes arts can indeed become outdated.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 61213141516 17 LastLast