Posted On:
    5/17/2006 6:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I can only hope this is BS

From this MAP thread: http://www.martialartsplanet.com/for...9&page=1&pp=15

Bullshido's favorote ninja, Dale Seago tells one of his stories over on MAP. I can only hope that he is playing with the truth becuase if this is true I have fears for his students safety.

"That reminds me of a seminar on the subject of kuzushi (unbalancing) I taught some years ago, hosted by a local Aikido school headed by an instructor who was an acquaintance of mine. (I thoroughly liked the guy: He'd show the traditional formal techniques, but would also illustrate the points within them where strikes, kicks, and breaking stuff could occur if you really understood how to use them).

So anyway, there were people at the seminar from a variety of different arts, including some jujitsu folks of some sort -- not sure what, but I remember some of them wearing blue belts. At one point I was illustrating something via a henka of the kata Ken Nagare from Takagi Yoshin ryu, with a different ending involving following the uke down onto the ground and ending in position for an elbow break. My wife Teri was training as well, paired with a jujitsu blue belt about 3 times her size.

I was sort of watching out of the corner of my eye as he just wasn't getting any of it, and was becoming increasingly frustrated despite her attepts to help him understand. Finally as she punched he just resorted to pure brute force: grabbed her arm, flung her around and down, dropped down with her and tried to actually break her arm.

She just shifted and changed her structural alignment so slightly that he wasn't aware of it, taking the worst of the pressure off her arm. He was so focused on what he was trying to do that he was unaware that anything had gone wrong for him until he heard a "click" near his ear and felt the flat of her little Spyderco folding knife blade on his neck, held in her other hand.

As I watched, they both remained very still for a moment; then he carefully disengaged, got up, and went into the restroom. He was in there rather a long time, probably washing his underwear; and after he came out he stayed very far away from Ter for the rest of the session.

In my wife's case, the jujiitsu guy was trying to go "out of the box", or paradigm, that he assumed was operative: Non-competitive, mutually supportive training. But he was still within her paradigm, which specified that if someone wants to hurt you you make yourself safe and, if feasible, warn them; and if they persist, be prepared to kill them.

(Notice that I said he was still within her paradigm, not her box. I worded it that way lest someone comment in a fashion that might make me very, very angry. )

OK. So he stands by while someone tries to break his wife's arm? He allows this person to continue training? He has no problem with his students concealing live blades during training and pulling them on people? WTF!!!! As I said I hope this story is just another "OMG sportfighters are too stupid to realise people carry knives, you need ten years of lunge punches for that" story.

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 6:51pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought it was kind of funny, actually. It seemed that he believed hsi wife could take care of herself, and well, she did. Having had the experience of doing standup with a well known competitor in San Da, and him suddenly applying a flying armbar that left my ribs bruised for a week, I can only wish I had the foresight to be armed. The blue belt as an asshole with an Agenda, their to show everyone how much Aikido sucked- which it may well. But suprise! Their werre reprecussions- I suppose she should have sat there and get tapped, and be humiliated, but she didn't. Oh well. Now, if she did that in a BJJ school, while rolling, she should be commited.

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 6:58pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you are missing the point new2bjj.

Arm breaking student? What, acutally trying to snap someone's arm in training-literally attempting to snap it?

Having a knife secreted away whilst you are being chucked around?

Pulling a knife on your student?

C'mon.
    He who attains his ideal by that very fact transcends it- Nietzsche

I like my Te like I like my tea- from Fujian province and without any bullshit in it. Oh, and green. And scented with jasmine blossoms...

Quote Originally Posted by A Better American Than You
    In every country and every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 7:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who the **** carries a LIVE blade in training practice ? That is begging for a fatal/severe training accident . I go everywhere with a blade including when I go to practice/train .. but when it's time to roll , spar , drill , workout , etc . the blade is put somewhere safe .

What a fucking idoit I don't even have the time to explain why this is such a scary situation on so many levels . I too hope this is a lie ... errrrmmm ... "story" .

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Seago
    Nope, sorry. Actually, I hate having anybody view anything I've done that's more than six months old, as I always feel that more than six months ago I still didn't understand a bleepin' thing about taijutsu yet. This clip is close to year and a half old now. :rolleyes:

That reminds me of a seminar on the subject of kuzushi (unbalancing) I taught some years ago, hosted by a local Aikido school headed by an instructor who was an acquaintance of mine. (I thoroughly liked the guy: He'd show the traditional formal techniques, but would also illustrate the points within them where strikes, kicks, and breaking stuff could occur if you really understood how to use them).

So anyway, there were people at the seminar from a variety of different arts, including some jujitsu folks of some sort -- not sure what, but I remember some of them wearing blue belts. At one point I was illustrating something via a henka of the kata Ken Nagare from Takagi Yoshin ryu, with a different ending involving following the uke down onto the ground and ending in position for an elbow break. My wife Teri was training as well, paired with a jujitsu blue belt about 3 times her size.

I was sort of watching out of the corner of my eye as he just wasn't getting any of it, and was becoming increasingly frustrated despite her attepts to help him understand. Finally as she punched he just resorted to pure brute force: grabbed her arm, flung her around and down, dropped down with her and tried to actually break her arm.

She just shifted and changed her structural alignment so slightly that he wasn't aware of it, taking the worst of the pressure off her arm. He was so focused on what he was trying to do that he was unaware that anything had gone wrong for him until he heard a "click" near his ear and felt the flat of her little Spyderco folding knife blade on his neck, held in her other hand.

As I watched, they both remained very still for a moment; then he carefully disengaged, got up, and went into the restroom. He was in there rather a long time, probably washing his underwear; and after he came out he stayed very far away from Ter for the rest of the session.

I hope people can read the post above and see the negligence involved by the great Ninja teacher and his wife .
    Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 5/17/2006 7:08pm at .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 7:07pm

Style: Maybe Kyokushin soon...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ahhh Virus you keep punishing yourself by cruising MAP man. Just leave them be. After reading the article that got started about you, I once again thanked the gods I gave up on map months ago. Lets just assume that this little story isint true. If that man really wanted to hurt his wife and threw her, she wouldnt be so calmly drawing a hidden bladed weapon. I have been thrown hard enough to see stars, and I kinda know how to fall.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 7:12pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A blue belt takes around two years to get if you train regularly, a lot, and apply yourself. For him to suddenly not understand the basics of "unbalancing" is ludicrous. Next he'll say he was teaching a boxer how to punch and the boxer didn't understand.

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 7:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The story does contain all the classic elements of what a TMA wants to believe is true.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 7:44pm

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I gather its fiction or an exaggeration of one side of the argument.

Dale's ego is huge and it dictates his view of everything. His wife is an 8th dan in BJK and should have had the maturity and the skill to not let things get out of hand. Instead, Dale uses this as a story to advocate his view of what martial arts is.........

I am likely to believe that the Blue (if it is a BJJ Blue) probably understood kuzushi better than most of the BJK people due to the live application of kuzushi during training. I think that it would be easy for the uneducated to think that they were being yanked to the ground if they finally were thrown with some actual takedown/throwing skill. There is a lot of power contained in Judo/Bjj throws when done correctly and a little ninja could be overwhelmed by actually seeing skill for the first time.
    Last edited by MONGO; 5/17/2006 7:48pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 7:53pm

Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I visted a Stephen Hayes quest center. The instructor had a spyderco knife clipped to his obi.

I didn't go back. Carrying a live weapon onto the training floor is just...wrong.

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 8:03pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love the three times her size part.

If she were say five nothing...that would make him 15 ft tall!

If she is around 5 11 we're talkin 17 ft 9" here people!

Giant jujutsu guy pwned by ninja lady + knife!

Ahem. I'll put that silliness away now.

What is the LARPer's point exactly? Don't come to my LARP training, my lady will stab you?
    He who attains his ideal by that very fact transcends it- Nietzsche

I like my Te like I like my tea- from Fujian province and without any bullshit in it. Oh, and green. And scented with jasmine blossoms...

Quote Originally Posted by A Better American Than You
    In every country and every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot.
Page 1 of 17 1 234511 ... LastLast