Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 11:46am

Style: Aikido Ceteris Paribus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MrGalt - Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!

I'm still crying with laughter at the Jim Carey clip. Like all really good satire, it's just a whisker away from the real thing. Especially the 'you attacked me wrong!' - how often have I heard that one! I'd say 'awesome' but I'm not American.

Saw a Women's SD course advertised at my local gym, run by some Tang Soo Do dudes who made all the MA savvy members speechless with their ineptitiude at their inaugural demo. I've half a mind to take the clip along to their first class. Jim carey actually looks more credible than some I've seen - and that's scary.

One Aikido 'Sensei' I encountered entered the dojo in EXACTLY the way Carey satirises! After a brief opportunity to admire his belly (sorry 'hara' full of 'ki') he waltzed off. later on, he walked onto the mat with a fag in his mouth! He asked me what I would like to do on my first night. My answer: 'Leave!'. I was already a Dan grade in another style, and did not disguise it, so felt I had to leave rather than wreck his ego-trip.
    Last edited by kiaiki; 7/29/2007 11:50am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 11:49am

Style: Sanjuriu, Aikijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGalt
    That's okay, Bass. I think we've pretty well established that you won't learn anything from that and I have nothing to gain for myself. I'm going to go with Neko and let this thread lie for a while and see if any other Sanjuriu practitioners stumble upon it and begin the merriment again. Maybe the next guy will be willing to come to a throwdown or some other learning venue. In the meantime, I'm going to step out and let you have the last word, which will undoubtedly be about how I backed down from your honorable randori challenge. I'll check back in a couple of weeks maybe. I only even got into all of this because I wanted to see what was happening at my gym. I hope they're not paying you guys much. Maybe I can start a petition to see if we can get some judo or a boxing coach or something more worthwhile. In the meantime I'm unsubscribing from this thread and moving on.
    That's too bad really. The tourney is a BJJ competition, and even if you decided to just hate my guts and my art, I think you'd really enjoy watching these guys compete. There are some really talented guys out there from a lot of different schools and everyone seems to really get along. There is a mutual respect among schools that don't feel threatened by each other that I found very refreshing after spending way too much time here.

You can choose to be a hater because you're work-out with a fifteen year old in a health club didn't go the way you think it should have. You could even be a hater after coming into our circle and trying to make fools of us if you wanted, but none of that changes the fact that we're going to be out there on August 11th breaking our backs so that our friends in the MA world can enjoy a friendly competition.

Maybe many of the guys that come to the tourney really don't care for what we do at Sanjuriu. In fact, I'm sure there are many... they chose their styles for a reason. But I guarantee you that not a single one of them is going to set out on a crusade to piss on our school, not here, or not anywhere. People that know us, know what we're about.

Many of the MMA guys have cross-trained with us. They don't jump on forums and start crying about resistance or scripts. They are quiet and confident enough to just simply train and get better. And if you think we've offered them nothing, then I'd like to introduce you to a few of them at the tourney. They are a very nice group of guys, and so are we. We're not out to dog their style and they aren't out to dog ours. We're there to help each other and that's the way the MA world is supposed to work.

I saw some beautiful fighters this weekend. I watched the two smallest weight divisions compete for the belt. I saw the most incredible fully alive foot sweep in my entire life in this weekend's competition from a guy that didn't win his match. I was awed by how fluidly he executed the maneuver against a man that out-weighed him by 75 pounds. It was beautiful.

Like I said, he lost. The guy that beat him isn't on here dogging his style or asking for his instructor's creditials. I'm not out trolling his school to see how they train. And if I was going to trash him or his art I sure wouldn't do it faceless behind the internet. Nope, I've got nothing but respect for that guy.

As far as you getting a petition signed to get something more worthwhile in your gym, that just reaks of sour grapes. So what if you didn't like it? You want to work to actively replace us in your health club? To me, that takes your behavior to an even deeper level of disrespect.

Funny though, because "head instructor" actually said you seemed like a pretty nice guy. He said you even seemed interested in the full-body armor kendo training we do. But maybe you were just being nice. We probably teach that wrong too. After all, the board has spoken... may the arrogant rise and now instruct us on how to teach in our own art. Just don't tell "head instructor" on your way into the kendo practice. I've seen him spin a helmet all the way around someone's head.

BTW -- ever seen any aikijutsu mixed into a fully alive sword session? ever seen the sword motions in your kata? I have advocated that we not even teach Kendo without charging something substantial and garnering some long term commitments. Beyond the basic strikes, blocks, and stances, what we teach is too rich and too complex for me to grasp at my skill level. But perhaps his highness could come in and write a lengthy negative review of it for his fellow haters.

Ciao,

SB

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 8:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look's like I was wrong on the venue for the fight on the 11th. It is at Coyote Joe's. Fighters check in at 2:00, so I'll probably be there early to help with set-up if needed, and then stay a while. I'll even buy you a beer if you come down.

http://www.thecagefight.com/Absolute_C.A.G.E.php

I think this is going to be an afternoon of great match-ups.

SB

"Yes Neko, please keep telling me more about your manly collection of Star Wars audiobooks"

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 10:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    eh... socratic, STFU dude, you wanted somebody to check your style before making coments, it happened and now you don't like what that person have to say about the experience, move on and let somebody with better knowledge in your art explain some of the questions you were unwilling or unable to answer.

Thank you and have a nice fucking day
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Yeah, you're probably right.

But still, something about having a black guy or a lesbian jump out from behind a garbage can yelling "SURPRISE GONG SAU" at any of your big-named RBSD kooks makes me giggle like a little girl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    There are two kinds of members on MAP:

1. LARPers/Partial Artists
    2. People who haven't heard about Bullshido.
    The Mighty McClaw to Fox when refusing to fight AnnaT.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    Don't fight girls? When are you living, the 1850's? I suppose you think they shouldn't work or vote either.
    Get with the times and punch a chick.
    Wingchundo's response after I called him a "*****"

Quote Originally Posted by wingchundo View Post
    Hey, I resemble that remark!

Ok, time for a snappy comeback.... uh...

OK. Here goes.

You are what you eat!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 7:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neko687
    eh... socratic, STFU dude, you wanted somebody to check your style before making coments, it happened and now you don't like what that person have to say about the experience, move on and let somebody with better knowledge in your art explain some of the questions you were unwilling or unable to answer.

Thank you and have a nice fucking day
    Coming from a guy that says his own skills aren't that great, that's fine. I'll happily let the fact that a guy with MA experience didn't enjoy his underbelt training with a fifteen year old. I will also happily admit that we teach underbelt techniques slowly, especially to first time visitors in a health club.

And I'm more than happy to let it drop.

"Yes Neko, please keep telling me more about your manly collection of Star Wars audiobooks"

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 7:50am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sorry Socratic, I understand your excuse about the basic class and underbelt techniques and all, But I can't agree, I would expect a brown belt to be at the very least decent on his art, and given your history of misspelling basic common terms... I don't believe that you guys have a high quality control program established on Sanjuriu (I know you're gonna disagree, and that's fine cupcake, you're entitled to your opinion)

So let's go ahead and let it drop... you should be good at this, being a compliant drop and all.

But still, something about having a black guy or a lesbian jump out from behind a garbage can yelling "SURPRISE GONG SAU" at any of your big-named RBSD kooks makes me giggle like a little girl.

Don't fight girls? When are you living, the 1850's? I suppose you think they shouldn't work or vote either.

OK. Here goes.

You are what you eat!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/02/2007 4:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neko687
    (I know you're gonna disagree, and that's fine cupcake, you're entitled to your opinion)

So let's go ahead and let it drop... you should be good at this, being a compliant drop and all.
    Cupcake? That's so sweet! And all this time I thought you didn't care.

Once again, I'll let you drop me in a non-compliant manner anytime.

Posted On:
    8/02/2007 5:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like I said before, you're more than welcome to drop me a line next time you're in south florida, and afterwards I'll buy you a beer

OK. Here goes.

You are what you eat!

Posted On:
    8/02/2007 10:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: sanjuriu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sanjuriu

I am new to this and somewhat confused. I just logged on because I thought an intelligent dicussion on the merits of Sanjuriu Martial Arts sounded intriging. However, there has been nothing intelligent about this discussion. From what I gather from reading 27 pages of this thread is that SB believes in his art and in his training and Mr. Galt and others do not. Please, correct me if I am wrong.

SB sent out a challenge. Only one man responded, Mr. Galt. He responded under false pretenses and made many usumptions based on one encounter with one teenager. Am I the only one who sees a problem here?

SB then offered him to a new challenge on equal terms without the deception. Just straight forward one on one competition. Mr. Galt denied. Yet, continued to bash the Art as well as a 16 year old teenager. SB sent out another invitation to come to the dojo and compete man to man, not man to boy. Again, Mr. Galt denied.

It seems to me that the Sanjuriu Martial Art is not in guestion, but, rather the character of Mr. Galt. I dont know if Sanjuriu is all that SB claims it to be. I dont know if any form can stand up to all its claims. But, I haven't seen Mr. Galt stand for anything but deciet and the ability to bash kids who are learning and putting themselves out there for everyone to see. They are not pretending inorder to decieve others (that would be Mr. Galt.) They are working to improve themselves. Isnt that the basic philosophy of Martial Arts.

I wonder exactly what the Intent of Mr. Galt was. Why would anyone feel the need to decieve others inorder to prove their point. Where is the honor in that?
    Last edited by akidomom; 8/02/2007 10:57pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2007 2:40am

Style: Systema & BJJ noob,x BBT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by akidomom
    I am new to this and somewhat confused. I just logged on because I thought an intelligent dicussion on the merits of Sanjuriu Martial Arts sounded intriging. However, there has been nothing intelligent about this discussion. From what I gather from reading 27 pages of this thread is that SB believes in his art and in his training and Mr. Galt and others do not. Please, correct me if I am wrong.
    No, that's about right.

SB sent out a challenge. Only one man responded, Mr. Galt. He responded under false pretenses and made many usumptions based on one encounter with one teenager. Am I the only one who sees a problem here?
    I don't think SB was sending out a 'challenge', unless my memory is failing. He offered an opportunity to train with Sanjuriu, and to practice randori. By the standards generally used on this board, a demonstration of randori would not adequately address the question of whether the art works in an 'alive' situation against a fully resistant opponent.

SB then offered him to a new challenge on equal terms without the deception. Just straight forward one on one competition. Mr. Galt denied. Yet, continued to bash the Art as well as a 16 year old teenager. SB sent out another invitation to come to the dojo and compete man to man, not man to boy. Again, Mr. Galt denied.
    Again, see the comment about randori. I don't know for certain, but I suspect that Mr Galt would not regard this as a sufficiently free environment to adequately test the art.

It seems to me that the Sanjuriu Martial Art is not in guestion, but, rather the character of Mr. Galt.
    I'll stress here that I don't know Mr Galt at all, but I think you're probably judging him somewhat more unfairly than you think he is judging Sanjuriu. My estimation of his motivation for what he did is as follows:

He had some doubts about the efficacy of Sanjuriu and the teaching methods used in the art.

For whatever reason, he didn't think that a randori challenge would be the best way to answer the questions he had in mind. The next best thing was to attend a class and see for himself what goes on.

He didn't want to create a 'scene' in the class, or get any special treatment. He just wanted to find out what a genuine beginner to the class would be presented with. So, he didn't announce his previous training.

He had some disagreements with the material that was shown, and with some of the teaching/training methods. He posted his opinions here, to inform the debate. This moved things on several stages from previously, when all the non-Sanjuriu posters had no direct knowledge about what the training was about.

I dont know if Sanjuriu is all that SB claims it to be. I dont know if any form can stand up to all its claims. But, I haven't seen Mr. Galt stand for anything but deciet and the ability to bash kids who are learning and putting themselves out there for everyone to see.
    Well, I don't think Mr Galt 'bashed' anyone in a literal sense. He did make some criticisms of the class he attended, and of some of the things that the brown belt he trained with did/said. Regardless of age, I think most posters here would share the opinion that it's not unreasonable to think that a brown belt ought to be able to give a mostly decent representation of their art.

They are not pretending inorder to decieve others (that would be Mr. Galt.)
    The arguments about deception, which have been gone over a number of times, have been mostly about the lineage of the art. Most arts that claim to have their roots in Japanese martial traditions can fairly easily trace their lineages back more than one or two generations. The point of doing so is to demonstrate that your teachers and their teachers have 'received' and are able to teach an 'entire' system.

Sanjuriu claims descent from Japanese martial traditions, but there has not been any evidence supplied to show that anyone within the art has been fully qualified in any Japanese art, other than Sanjuriu itself.

Personally, I have no problem with anyone developing their own system and calling it what they like. However, to do this honestly demands having a degree of openess about what has been learned and from whom. So far, this really hasn't happened with Sanjuriu.

They are working to improve themselves. Isnt that the basic philosophy of Martial Arts.

I wonder exactly what the Intent of Mr. Galt was. Why would anyone feel the need to decieve others inorder to prove their point. Where is the honor in that?
    I hope I've given a fair estimation of Mr Galt's intention. If I got it wrong, no doubt he will tell us. If you haven't understood, hopefully you'll ask some more questions.
Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 192526272829 30313233 ... LastLast