Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 10:04am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They have talk about scrolls and about sport vs street...that is pretty much all I need to call bs. Lack of information about the instructrs a was also a big concern of mine. But my old krav school doesn't have any info on the net either...

And SocraticBass...never put your email addy on a web forum. Spiders can scan pages and send out spam...if you must, use the format:

socraticbass AT comcast DOT net

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 10:09am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We teach self defense based on kata: our students do not learn kata for aerobic exercise or stance practice, rather all of our techniques are represented in the kata.
    This is an issue. So there are hidden techniques?

In this manner students are prepared for the physical and mental stress of a violent situation
    No. Training with resistant partners will help you overcome adreneline dump. Kata will make you over confident.

Sanjuriu - or three level school - is the scroll of knowledge which describes the body of information contained in the martial art.
    This is idiotic. It is like saying, "We train by the Lord of the Rings Book1" A scroll is nothing but an early version of the book. And you don't learn to fight by a book.

This seems to be nothing but silly LARPing

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 10:14am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can't help myself...

WTF IS THIS?
    http://www.sanjuriucolorado.com/Grap...utsuThrow.html

Even ignoring the magic pants, it is pretty sad

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2007 1:43pm

Style: Seidokaikan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn. I was eager to go tonight because I actually had an evening off during the week...didn't think about the fact that it's a holiday means plans might be inflicted upon me. Fiance has declared we shall watch noisy explosions at a friend's house for the evening so no trip to sanjuriu for me. No doubt you were all waiting on tenterhooks.

I've been in touch with Socratic Bass, who cyrijl is quite right shouldn't give out his e-mail address on forums, (SB - you can edit your post to remove it), and he seems straightforward and informative and I think we'd all benefit from his level-headed posting if he chooses to post again. If I can't catch one of these Wednesday night classes maybe I can meet SB on a weekend sometime soon and get a chance to see some of Sanjuriu's techniques, although I'd really prefer to see or take a standard class.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 6:14am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aristodemus.. what form of Aikijitsu do you study ?

I ask because it is a known and researched fact, the only system to have legitimately coined the term "aikijujutsu" (of which "jujitsu" is a common western pronunciation) would be Dai-to Ryu, the term being specifically used by Takeda Sokaku, not by his father so, the term Aikijujitsu or Aikijujutsu is a relatively modern concept, one of the reasons why the term Aiki was adopted by Ueshiba Morihei when he finally named his budo "aikido"

It seems that there are a plethora of martial artists claiming to be teaching "aikijujitsu" and using that term as the physical name for the art they present when in fact, aikijujutsu is merely a description of a methodology behind the art.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 6:18am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrijl
    Can't help myself...

WTF IS THIS?
    http://www.sanjuriucolorado.com/Grap...utsuThrow.html

Even ignoring the magic pants, it is pretty sad
    Well.. I just endured that video and all I can say is.. OMG

Anyway I edited my previous comment at it would have been deemed offensive lol..

I have another question based upon a statement on their website
    Kenjutsu is considered a classical bujutsu (art of war or martial art), having been well formulated prior to the Meiji reformation (the classical/modern dividing line).
    Ok, so; I myself am a student of a koryu sword art, my teacher lived in Japan for over a decade and is a legitmate "Renshi" title holder.

If what is presented on the Sanjuriu website is to be believed, I must assume then that what they are teaching within what they describe as "Kenjutsu" is indeed a Koryu (oldschool) Ryu-ha so, my question is very simple.. Which Ryu ?
    Last edited by Rock Ape; 7/05/2007 6:32am at .

~Ella Wheeler

Old School DM

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 8:53am

supporting member
     Style: Nothing current

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivor Biggun
    I have another question based upon a statement on their website
    Ok, so; I myself am a student of a koryu sword art, my teacher lived in Japan for over a decade and is a legitmate "Renshi" title holder.

If what is presented on the Sanjuriu website is to be believed, I must assume then that what they are teaching within what they describe as "Kenjutsu" is indeed a Koryu (oldschool) Ryu-ha so, my question is very simple.. Which Ryu ?
    I'm going to predict that you won't get a satisfactory answer to either this question or your earlier question about Aikijutsu. I'm going to go further out on a limb and predict that they can't give such an answer because they have no idea what you're talking about.
    Jesus loves you. I think you're an asshole.

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 9:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Assume any Japanese Jujitsu outside of Japan is fake until proven otherwise. Until then, please refer to it by the name crapanese jujitsu
    Last edited by Virus; 7/05/2007 9:16am at .

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 9:18am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    Assume any Japanese Jujitsu outside of Japan is fake until proven otherwise. Until then, please refer to it by the name crapanese jujitsu
    AKA Shitjitsu

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 2:58pm

Style: Sanjuriu, Aikijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivor Biggun
    Aristodemus.. what form of Aikijitsu do you study ?

I ask because it is a known and researched fact, the only system to have legitimately coined the term "aikijujutsu" (of which "jujitsu" is a common western pronunciation) would be Dai-to Ryu, the term being specifically used by Takeda Sokaku, not by his father so, the term Aikijujitsu or Aikijujutsu is a relatively modern concept, one of the reasons why the term Aiki was adopted by Ueshiba Morihei when he finally named his budo "aikido"

It seems that there are a plethora of martial artists claiming to be teaching "aikijujitsu" and using that term as the physical name for the art they present when in fact, aikijujutsu is merely a description of a methodology behind the art.
    You mean this stuff?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvPEU...related&search=

Glad we're not related!