Old School DM

Posted On:
    6/25/2007 3:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Nothing current

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Locu5
    O Soi No Waza is a slow fight, like push hands without all the hard contact.
    Ah, the definition of aliveness!
    Jesus loves you. I think you're an asshole.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 4:59am

Style: Aikido Ceteris Paribus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not only are Sanjuriu 'alive' but their .com website links to this 'fightlikeachick.com' - part of the same BS or some kind of ancient Chinese MA based on the postures of drunken cockerels?:

QUOTES on Sanjuriu.com:

'Every day four women die in this country as a result of domestic violence, the euphemism for murders and assaults by husbands and boyfriends.'

'training with males is the best way to learn what they need to learn'

So, let's see how we equip women to defend themselves over on 'fightlikeachick.com':

'Subscribe today and get the full access to the video classes as they are taught in our 8, 10 & 16 week self-defense courses for beginners intermediate and advanced. Fightlikeachick.com offers special online classes in self-defense for women seeking to supplement their current self-defense classes or just to learn in the privacy of their home.'

So now we know, Sanjuriu promotes an equally effective system - advanced SD skills in 16 (ore even 34 total) weeks all in the privacy of your own home? A sort of solo 'aliveness' - maybe against a viciously resistant cushion or pillow? Hmmmmm - isn't the privacy of their homes where this violence happens? Perhaps the violent partner won't notice the ninja moves!

Any testimonials to the effectiveness of this system against a determinedly violent aggressor, I wonder? Because otherwise this kind of stuff could be seriously damaging and may even get someone killed. Crappy MA is one thing but this makes me seriously angry!!

What TF does Sanjuriu mean anyway - TripleSoftStyle? And why can't they spell: 'ryu' properly, like in my own style - shaolin ozi kangaryu boxing?
    Last edited by kiaiki; 6/26/2007 5:43am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2007 5:33pm

Style: Seidokaikan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I suppose I'm not necroing this thread at only a couple of days since the last post, but guys, I'm sold. There's a sanjuriu class wednesday nights at my gym (Courtsouth in Knoxville), and I think I may just find myself there later this week. At first I looked at the posters and said, "Are those people doing...um...Judo? In t-shirts? This is just sad." but now I realize that I have been missing out on good quality free entertainment for months. Also amusingly according to www.sanjuriu.org one of their premiere dojos was practically next door to mine. I'm wondering if the teacher at the gym is just there on an outreach program trying to get gym members to start commuting to the real school.

So do I go to troll or do I go for respectful awe after I'm confronted with their mastery?

"Yes Neko, please keep telling me more about your manly collection of Star Wars audiobooks"

Posted On:
    6/29/2007 7:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't go with trolling in mind, find out as much as you can, see what is their point of view, and maybe they're not as crazy as the people we get here.... I doubt it though
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Yeah, you're probably right.

But still, something about having a black guy or a lesbian jump out from behind a garbage can yelling "SURPRISE GONG SAU" at any of your big-named RBSD kooks makes me giggle like a little girl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    There are two kinds of members on MAP:

1. LARPers/Partial Artists
    2. People who haven't heard about Bullshido.
    The Mighty McClaw to Fox when refusing to fight AnnaT.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    Don't fight girls? When are you living, the 1850's? I suppose you think they shouldn't work or vote either.
    Get with the times and punch a chick.
    Wingchundo's response after I called him a "*****"

Quote Originally Posted by wingchundo View Post
    Hey, I resemble that remark!

Ok, time for a snappy comeback.... uh...

OK. Here goes.

You are what you eat!

Old School DM

Posted On:
    6/29/2007 9:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGalt
    I suppose I'm not necroing this thread at only a couple of days since the last post, but guys, I'm sold. There's a sanjuriu class wednesday nights at my gym (Courtsouth in Knoxville), and I think I may just find myself there later this week. At first I looked at the posters and said, "Are those people doing...um...Judo? In t-shirts? This is just sad." but now I realize that I have been missing out on good quality free entertainment for months. Also amusingly according to www.sanjuriu.org one of their premiere dojos was practically next door to mine. I'm wondering if the teacher at the gym is just there on an outreach program trying to get gym members to start commuting to the real school.

So do I go to troll or do I go for respectful awe after I'm confronted with their mastery?
    Well, I would always suggest going with a polite, open mind. No matter what kind of BS people may be spewing on t3h interweb about a school, I think that if you are going to show up in person (grats on that by the way) that you should be respectful. After the class, I would, if you feel comfortable with it, as some questions. If you thought the class was bullshit, you could politely ask why they do X, or what the role of Y is in their system.

Its rarely worth anyone's time to be obnoxious to people like this in person. A report on the class would be welcome, and probably entertaining.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/30/2007 2:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    True. I'll just go for the old, "Why should I join your class?" question. I'll probably get a most enlightening history lesson. The version of the infamous sanjuriu legend on their website says it's 4,500 years old and descended from the first Emperor of China's bodyguards. I'll be interested to see if what they're teaching is watered down for health club members or the same as the normal syllabus, although I'll have to take their word for it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2007 3:44pm

Style: Sanjuriu, Aikijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGalt
    True. I'll just go for the old, "Why should I join your class?" question. I'll probably get a most enlightening history lesson. The version of the infamous sanjuriu legend on their website says it's 4,500 years old and descended from the first Emperor of China's bodyguards. I'll be interested to see if what they're teaching is watered down for health club members or the same as the normal syllabus, although I'll have to take their word for it.
    Wow.

I just read through this whole thread. There's an amazing amount of animosity for a school you guys have never visited. I'm trying to decide if you guys are just insecure about your own art, interested in advancing your own particular styles and/or training pedigrees, or if you're genuinely concerned about the many, many people getting roped into a school that doesn't teach them anything.

Any way you look at it, your time here is probably time better spent training. Same is true for me, so don't expect to see me get wrapped up in this nonsense. I think its pretty telling though when some of you start jumping on a school that enthusiastically promotes teaching women and children.

Props to you Mr. Galt for actually having the decency to pay us a visit. Email me and let me know when you are coming down, I'm a full time pastor and have to sort my training week out ahead of time, but would love the opportunity to work out with you and would arrange my schedule accordingly.

I've taken Isshinryu, Tai Chi, Judo, and dabbled in some Taekwondo, but personally find this "style" to be the most rewarding. Even so, like arguing over college football teams, everyone thinks their art form is better, older, more proficent, whatever. Personally, I could care less. I'm more than getting my money's worth.

Anyway, Mr. Galt, you can reach me at socraticbass@comcast.net. My name is David. If we miss each other, I hope you enjoy your visit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2007 9:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    David,

Sent you an e-mail. Congratulations on getting through the whole thread and not leaving in indignation. If you're looking for our motives I think one of the much more senior posters on this site said it best when he stated, "We were molested as children by the martial arts." There's a lot of silliness out there masquerading as real training and many of us believe that it is dishonest, which is despicable in its own right, and dangerous to its consumers who honestly know no better, which makes it even more onerous. To some extent you're right that the measure of how worthwhile the training is is subjective, although not really an "opinion" question.

Whose style is older is certainly not opinion. Claims to vast age on behalf of an art, especially when disproven, look bad.

I look forward to seeing a class, although I wasn't thinking about the fact that Wednesday will be a holiday, so there may be no class to attend when I get there.

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 12:15am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Aikijitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't addressed this thread in several days, because I've been quite busy working for Sanjuriu. But I'm finally taking some free time to ask these simple questions. I'm not challenging anyone, I'm not attacking anyone. I simply want these addressed, if at all possible.

If there's no longer even a desire to try to attack them, that's all well and good. Any questions asked about the school, I will happily and respectfully address them.

The questions I'm posing are:

1. Can you knowingly speak against our techniques, as in examine and study them, and determine them to be worthless?

2. While the claims of our history are grand, can you disprove them? As I see no way to honestly prove them over the internet, I relent I cannot prove them. But such was also not my intent from the start. That was the original defender of Sanjuriu.

3. The system itself. Can you explain what's wrong with our teaching methods?

I'm also pleased to see that things have calmed down, and further there are those willing to make an attempt to honestly assess(spelling x:) our system and what we teach, rather than go on about it with no experience regarding it.

Also, To Mr. Galt: There is a class Wednesday. The only Holidays I'm aware of we observe, as far as cancelling things, is Memorial Day, and Christmas.

All I have to say for now, other than I'm not likely to take this to the level of personal debate.

Old School DM

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 9:53am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I'm more than happy to have a polite discussion. Glad to hear that someone will visit and partake of a class.

I think its important to keep in mind that the purpose of this website is to discuss the martial arts and to expose people who claim to be teaching fighting arts but who are really neither qualified or are in fact incompetent or fakes. Unfortunately there is a lot of that going on.

The important word was "fighting". Frankly, I suspect that no one cares if someone opens a school to teach kids fitness, discipline, coordination etc by teaching them something that may or may not be a legitimate martial art. That's basically a daycare centre with a martial arts theme.

Where people here tend to get their faces in a knot is when people profess to teach self defence and are in fact teaching bullshit that will inevitably get someone's teeth knocked out if they try to use it in a fight.

In terms of Sanjuriu, I've gone back and looked at the Sanjuriu Colorado website (the only one I could get to load for some reason, my internet is acting up), and I have a couple of respectful questions (assuming any of you are related to that group - not sure where people are from).

1. Does the school promote itself as teaching self defence? There is some mention of this in the section on Kata, but all in all the website doesn't seem to put much emphasis on teaching an effective fighting art.

2. I looked at the class list and there doesn't seem to be any sparring on the menu. Are students allowed or encouraged to partake in hard sparring? You asked what people had against your techniques - I suspect the first thing would be to question whether or not they are effective in actual use, something that cannot be learned from Kata.

3. There is no information on the instructors. I know you don't want to debate the history of Sanjuriu, but if your school is going to profess to teach numerous unrelated arts (Karate, Jujutsu, Bojutsu, Kenjutsu, Saijutsu etc), I think it would be important to provide information on both the identities and training of the instructors. Indeed, failure to provide this very basic information is one of the first things that tends to identify a school that is not teaching serious martial arts.

I put these thoughts forward in a polite, respectful manner, in the hopes that we may discuss more fully.