Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 910 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 12:47pm

Style: Shidokan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know exactly where this guys coming from.

I'm not saying that this is the case but some people's 30% can sometimes seem like your 90%.
    Some people genuinely find it hard to moderate what they do. Not through being a dick but just being naturally intense or used to going hard.

That said this sounds like good old fashioned ego bollocks to me.

Worse example I had of this was at the end of a Matt Thornton seminar. We finished up with some rolling. I tried to flow and work on some of the things we'd touched on in the seminar. As you do.
    One guy I rolled with was going crazy. He was much bigger than me and at one point got me in a freakin' crucifix! A crucifix on a complete stranger at a seminar FFS! And as he was going crazy he ragged it good and proper. Everytime I tapped he'd collapse on the mat puffing and panting while I was ready for more. Total tool.

Hopefully this kind of attitude isn't endemic at the club and only restricted to a few individuals.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 1:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    Considering I'm the one who normally calls people a ***** when need be (Emevas is a isn't that tough),.
    I can't tell if this was a compliment or an insult =P

Anyway, thanks for the rest of the post folks. Yeah, I'm on the program now, and I know what's going on, I just wanted to rant about it. I saw it all the time in wrestling too, and called folks on it too, but was just amazed to see it again at such an older crowd. I can understand there being ego and **** at 15 in wrestling practice, but as I got older, I had higher hopes =P
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 1:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Probably a little late but a huge part of this problem is communication, or lack thereof. If your sparring or rolling lightly and your opponent is trying to kill you, then you have to tell him to ease off, or he/she might not think there is a problem.

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 1:52pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meager
    Light grappling fucking sucks. It's hard to judge just how light you're supposed to go, and one guy usually goes harder than the other so the other guy has to step up his intensity to compensate and pretty soon you're both going all out anyway. There are better ways to warm up.

Edit: It's weird, but I don't have a problem with light or medium sparring in striking. It just doesn't seem to work out in grappling.
    Quoted for emphasis. I agree with you here completely. I think "flowing" builds bad habits and is generally more trouble than it's worth. It's the point sparring of the grappling world.

My club does it occasionally. We used to do it more often, but we're down to probably once a month, thankfully. If I want to warm up by rolling on open mat days, I'll usually just roll for position with a like-minded individual.
    Last edited by Cassius; 5/17/2006 1:58pm at .
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Office Drone

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 2:02pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    Quoted for emphasis. I agree with you here completely. I think "flowing" builds bad habits and is generally more trouble than it's worth. It's the point sparring of the grappling world.
    I'm not sure I agree with this, I've learned alot rolling with the purples and above at my gym, guys larger or smaller. I roll with my instructor (3rd degree bb) almost every week and he's got an awesome game for guys at my level where he doesn't mind punishing you with the pressure, but he also gives you alotta clues about what you should be doing (nonverbal) and goes slow enough for you to figure things out and makes it impossible to use muscle or speed (ie if you keep trying to jump guard or speedy gonzales guardpass, he'll just flip you on your back and sit there until you nail a good and proper guard pass, etc). Also, with noobs and guys below my level, I don't go anywhere near 100% (esp as a large uncoordinated guy, going hard generally leads to injury for all parties involved)

That said, I would agree insofar as with guys around your level things are a whole different ball game and light rolling pretty hard to come by.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 2:17pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Rant

Always choose your training partner carefully. Realizing that sometimes your partner is chosen for you, you will occasionally have to deal. Regardless, if your partner is bothering you, say something. Ego be damned. One example, I don't know how many guys have been re-injured because they didn't tell their partner to watch out for their injury. I've certainly been guilty of this. What sucks more than getting injured? Getting re-injured and having to start the recuperation process all over again.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 2:26pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i would like to cross reference this thread with this one: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...646#post967646

just out of intuition

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 2:29pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiNnyX4
    Believe it or not guys, but this happens in Aikido A LOT too.
    No it doesn't now go sit in the corner.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 2:30pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shut the hell up and train.

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 2:44pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always had a problem going light in BJJ. I actually would not have minded, except, most imes, people go light, then try to suddenly man up when you a vulnerable- ie go about 50% then, when trying to secure a choke, put you in a face/jaw lock with all the strength they can muster. After awhile, all my joints started to hurt for 2 days at a time, and I decided that Intense Arthiritis wasn't worth it. That's the problem with injuries, they all turn into Arthiritis 10 years later, because you trained through the pain.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 910 LastLast