Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 8910 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 11:05am

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    Ugh...you aren't getting me. I'm not complaining about tapping out, I'm talking about how I tap out when warming up rather than go apeshit and try to defend it till the bitter end when we're only supposed to be going 20%. I know how to defend an armbar =P

I need to read ahead.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 11:07am

Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some people just donít seem able to grasp the concept of ďgoing easyĒ. For them itís 100% or nothing. Sometimes (most of the time actually) even when they think that they are going easy theyíre still going ape **** and donít realize it. There is no excuse for the more experienced students to not be able to understand the concept of going less than 100%. For many/most of the less experienced students they often arenít trying to be a dick about it they just donít know any better or havenít yet acquired the necessary skills, ability to relax etc. You canít let it bother you too much itís just one of those things that you have to learn to deal with.

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 11:34am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    Now he's coughing and ****, and I'm thinking "Why the **** didn't you just tap?" But, I play it cool, and reach out to shake hands, and the dude just lays down, and starts pounding the floor, saying "****!" Like it's the end of the world for him to tap to a training partner.
    Dude, snap. But my story's better, though more tangential to the topic.

It involves a ninja.

This must have been about... what, three months ago, now? I wander into BJJ and start warming up, and there's a new guy there in a black gi, and a white belt. Now, I don't tend to find the problem mentioned in this thread occurring in our warmups, since most of the time the warmup is calisthenics, and when I am rolling lightly with someone to warm up instead, generally they're clueful and do the flowing thing better than I do. But I digress.

We warm up, we do some technique work, and then we roll. And luck is on my side. I get the ninja. He's a fairly big ninja, must've had at least ten kilos on me, and he's pretty well toned for a ninja. I'm expecting a lot of muscling things at this point, and well, when we begin I'm not disappointed. He has claimed some ground knowledge from his ninjitsu, but there's not a lot of evidence showing, and pretty soon I've prised out his arm for a juji-gatame.

He screams. It would be unfair to say he screamed like a little girl, or a banshee; it was a very manly scream. It was also a very unexpected scream. I think for one moment that I've done something gut-wrenchingly horrible to his arm, but it looks okay. I ease up a lot, give him his arm back, and say "Sorry, I really didn't mean to hurt you."

His response was something along the lines of, "You didn't hurt me. I was just so frustrated..." Well, it's a relief I haven't actually broken his arm, so I let it go and roll again.

And the motherfucking ninja screams every time he should tap. He screams through armbars, he screams in the omoplata, and he screams in the triangle choke. (Okay, I exaggerate a little: a lot of it resembled hoarse yelling more than screaming, but I claim poetic licence). And every time I let him up and ask if everything's okay, it seems that nothing but his ego's been damaged.

After we've rolled, he claims that his ninjitsu groundwork is different - it's more oriented around getting a good position to strike from. (I unaccountably fail to ask him about the striking potential to be found under mount, which seems to be one of his favourite positions to gravitate towards). Sadly, he doesn't furnish us with details.

Nor does he turn up, ever again. I'm still waiting for him to come back. I've mostly made the mental adjustments necessary for me to treat a despairing wail with the same calm aplomb I accept a tap. Is it to be all for naught? Has he forgotten us? Or will I be walking alone, late at night, when a shuriken whizzes out of the blackness and buries itself in a nearby tree...

Only time will tell.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 11:46am

Style: Aikido/Judo/BJJ/Naginata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Believe it or not guys, but this happens in Aikido A LOT too.

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 12:06pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's nothing like making a ninja scream, huh Sophist?

Very nice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 12:07pm

Style: judo, wrestling, bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On the other hand, a little red-blooded aggression would probably improve aikido immeasurably.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 12:09pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophist
    Nor does he turn up, ever again. I'm still waiting for him to come back. I've mostly made the mental adjustments necessary for me to treat a despairing wail with the same calm aplomb I accept a tap. Is it to be all for naught? Has he forgotten us? Or will I be walking alone, late at night, when a shuriken whizzes out of the blackness and buries itself in a nearby tree...

Only time will tell.
    BWHAHAHAHAHAAAA. LMAO.

There was this guy once at the BJJ place I used to go, Brazilian dude, who I'm going to call Mini-Hulk, and got paired up with him once. He was a n00b like me but a big heavier. Anyways, we are told to drill triangles, and for the love of God, the punk almost ripped my arm out its shoulder socket. Mini-Hulk couldn't even get the triangle right because he would all balls out in a frenzy of movement as in trying to prove something.

And I couldn't do a thing with the drill when it was my turn since he would resist 100%. It was supposed to be a drill, not a sparring session. I had to endure that frustrating, wastefull, uselesses **** for like 15 minutes until I got switched with another dude. With the other dude, the drill was much more usefull as we were both asking questions and going over the technique... while in the meantime, Mini-Hulk was doing the same ****, going all balls out, trying to rip his partner's arm without even stopping to see if he was getting the triangle right.

What a fucktard. :seppuku:
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 12:10pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, it really is weird with grappling like this. For striking, if someone is going too hard during a light training session, you can just knock the **** out of them, then ask Do you really want to keep going this hard?, and they seem to learn the error of their ways pretty quick. But some noob grapplers just seem to be more thick-headed for some reason.

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 12:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What are aikido warmups like?

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 12:16pm

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Leg stretching, wrist stretching, movement exercises, and rolls.

In summary:
    BJJ warmup > Aikido warmup.
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 8910 LastLast