You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 3:40am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wakinonioi
    What do you hope to accomplish by crying about something like this?
    I suspect he was just ranting, and he put the thread in YMAS, which is one step away from Trollshido, so he's pretty much allowed to make whatever thread he wants here.

Emevas: I understand what you're saying. It sucks, but if your partner is going ridiculously hard when you're supposed to be going @ 20%, say something. Here's an example of something you could say:
    "Hey, I'm not warmed up yet, so let's take the intensity down. I don't like to roll full on when I'm cold, because I always seem to get hurt when I do that."

For the people that don't seem to get what Emevas is saying, I shall attempt to clarify:

Emevas is coming into class, and during the warmup, he and his classmates are supposed to be rolling at low speed ("Flowing," if you will.). Instead, the guys he is paired up with seem to want to go full blast, especially when one of two situations arises:

A.) Emevas is about to submit them.
    B.) They are about to submit Emevas.

Instead of going full bore, they should just be flowing from one technique to another. In short, he's saying that people's egos are getting out of hand during warm up rolling, because they either wany to submit him, or they don't want to get submitted, even at a time when they really shouldn't be resisting much. Instead of warming up, they end up rolling full bore, which is not a fun thing to do when you're completely cold.

In all honesty, I don't really care for "flowing." I've never gotten much out of my teammates and I just going through the motions. It doesn't help me get a feel for anything, and really just seems to reward bad habits.

I prefer guard passing drills or positioning only grappling as warm-ups for full-bore rolling.
    Last edited by Cassius; 5/17/2006 3:43am at .
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 3:40am

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, its nice that the therapy is working for ya.
    Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your signatures.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 3:44am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    Emevas: I understand what you're saying. It sucks, but if your partner is going ridiculously hard when you're supposed to be going @ 20%, say something. Here's an example of something you could say:
    "Hey, I'm not warmed up yet, so let's take the intensity down. I don't like to roll full on when I'm cold, because I always seem to get hurt when I do that."

For the people that don't seem to get what Emevas is saying, I shall attempt to clarify:

Emevas is coming into class, and during the warmup, he and his classmates are supposed to be rolling at low speed ("Flowing," if you will.). Instead, the guys he is paired up with seem to want to go full blast, especially when one of two situations arises:

A.) Emevas is about to submit them.
    B.) They are about to submit Emevas.

Instead of going full bore, they should just be flowing from one technique to another. In short, he's saying that people's egos are getting out of hand during warm up rolling. Instead of warming up, they end up rolling full bore, which is not a fun thing to do when you're completely cold.
    I want you to have my children.

But in all seriouness, yeah, you got my point exactly. It's the wrong time and place to be doing that, and it hinders the learning process.
    "Emevas,

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 3:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    I want you to have my children.

But in all seriouness, yeah, you got my point exactly. It's the wrong time and place to be doing that, and it hinders the learning process.
    Your problem is indicative of a much larger one. There's a conceptual leap that grapplers (well, any kind of martial artists, really) need to take if they want to become proficient: They have to learn that nine times out of ten, class is not a time for competition. Sure, you might be trying to win during a roll, but you should have specific techniques in mind to work on. You should be working on what you need to work on.

In other words, class is for learning and refining technique. Class is NOT for racking up submissions victories over your teammates.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 3:50am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, that's exactly the nature of the beast I'm trying to get at. Just annoying mentality that I never really saw in striking.
    "Emevas,

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 3:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    Yeah, that's exactly the nature of the beast I'm trying to get at. Just annoying mentality that I never really saw in striking.
    Ego tends to go out the door much faster when someone's punching you in the face.

The problem with grappling seems to be that once you get over the hump and actually start submitting people regularly, it becomes hard to give the thrill of winning up, even to the greater good. That particular "beast" tends to answer to two names: Arrogance and Insecurity.

To use BJJ as an example, it seems like that mentality should really be riding off into the sunset by the time you hit mid level blue. Purple belts have NO excuse for this kind of behavior, as far as I'm concerned.

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 4:03am

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    I suspect he was just ranting, and he put the thread in YMAS, which is one step away from Trollshido, so he's pretty much allowed to make whatever thread he wants here.

Well, the point I was making in my subtle, gentle way, is that ranting won't accomplish much but just get him more steamed. Every place is different, no use swimming against the tide. Figure out how folks go in that club and adjust yourself to it, or leave. Not much else to it.
    Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your signatures.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 4:09am

Style: Aikijiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I suppose that I can agree with all of you in some way.

1. What the **** is 20% supposed to mean. Do you bang your girlfriend at 20%? I don't and I suspect your training partner might be trying to bang you.

2. Learning can't be performed at full throttle or people get hurt as Omega pointed out... but usually they just get their feelings hurt like you.

3. Toughen up a little bit and earn some respect, when it's your turn to apply a choke, make him pass out. His feelings will be hurt and he'll also not want to bang you anymore. Then kick him in the balls for good measure (be sure to smile, it's much better and cheaper than therapy)

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 4:24am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wakinonioi
    Well, the point I was making in my subtle, gentle way, is that ranting won't accomplish much but just get him more steamed. Every place is different, no use swimming against the tide. Figure out how folks go in that club and adjust yourself to it, or leave. Not much else to it.
    Dude, it's "YMAS". Read the description. I wrote it to express a common frustration to see if other people share it. As such, it has been discovered.

Conversation, it's amazing isn't it?

3. Toughen up a little bit and earn some respect, when it's your turn to apply a choke, make him pass out. His feelings will be hurt and he'll also not want to bang you anymore. Then kick him in the balls for good measure (be sure to smile, it's much better and cheaper than therapy)
    Arg, for ****'s sake, I'm not complaining about getting hurt. I've dislocating my shoulder 3 times doing this ****. I've had a lot more pain than some guy with an ego cranking my head. My issue is simply when people don't follow the coach's instructions just so they can add another "W" to their "record" like Rickson =P
    "Emevas,
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast