Thread: New Guy

Style
    Han Mu Do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

New Guy

:hello:Hi everyone. I am new here. Am wondering where I can find a legitamite dojo north of New Orleans. I have found a few in this area but, have been burned in the past [see you guys call them McDojos] and have hence been out of things for a while because of it. Let me know if you have any help in this area. Otherwise, just a simple hello, and thanks for having me.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Melvin from The Ultimate Fighter is from NOLA so I imagine there's a MMA camp out there somewhere. You could also try to find a Judo or other club at LSU.

Style
    Boxing/Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, as a Louisiana native... I'm not sure what's left standing in New Orleans. The rebuild is still going and my bet is that alot of schools probably had to go out of business from a loss of students and loss of property. Phrosts input is probably well heeded, there should definitely be at least a judo program near the campus or campus judo organization.

Judo's a good place to start for developing the game. My bet is you can probably find a BJJ startup around there somewhere. make sure to verify anyone's judo/bjj teaching claims. Louisiana's bad about bullshitters.

There was a guy near my old U. that claimed to have a 2nd dan of Judo and at first I was happy about a new school opening up, then I recognized the name as being a green belt who really really sucked from only a couple years before. Total out of shape loser. It's easy to get burned around the big easy too. Too many fruit loops and brain dead rednecks. No offense.
    A lie gets half-way around the world before the truth has time to get it's pants on. - Winston Churchhill

Style
    Han Mu Do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm closer to Hammond, if
    Last edited by thepreacher; 4/20/2006 6:36am at .

Style
    Han Mu Do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm closer to Hammond, if anything more people have moved here. I'm not sure of the state of things in New Orleans as far a schools go. But it seems things are getting back to normal for the people who are here.

I found an Aikido school in Mandeville, a Han Mu Do school in Covington [founder is in B.R.] and am unsure there is anything worth looking into in Hammond. There is a Krav Maga center but, I know nothing of that style.
    Last edited by thepreacher; 4/20/2006 6:36am at .

Style
    Boxing/Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hammonds a nice quiet place. Close enough to NO for fun, (and the thing I miss so much already --- FOOD. I will never go to a chinese restaurant again in my life of my own free will), and far away enough so you don't have to deal with Mardi Gras insanity.

I don't even know what Han Mu is. The Aikido school might also offer Judo, some do.

Krav Maga... yeah, they kinda tempt fate with this whole "We're the best martial art on the planet" survivalist thing they have going IMO.

It could still work out.
    A lie gets half-way around the world before the truth has time to get it's pants on. - Winston Churchhill

Style
    Han Mu Do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Went and took the Han Mu Do trial class. Like the attitude and feel of the school. The instructors seem to be very genuine. This school doesn't seem to be about the money at all.

Han Mu Do is a teaching of Korean Martial Arts arranged by Dr Kimm. I think it may be just right for me. It seems to be straight to the point and without garnish. I may be wrong, as I have limited experience.

And I am sure, as the board says' someone will tell me 'My Martial Arts Sucks'. But, honestly, I think it is truly the practitioner and not the practice that determine that. Like a Golden Gloves boxer could be beaten by a Girl Scout if she is swinging and he isn't. IMHO

I'm sure as I get more involved, I'll have more info. And I'll also, post on these boards as I see fit. I will also edit my profile style to HMD.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's their fight team look like?

Style
    BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    What's their fight team look like?
    Hanmoodo won't have a fight team. Dr. Kimm is a noted researcher of the Korean martial arts. His art is good if that's what you're looking for.

If that's what you're looking for...

Style
    Han Mu Do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am glad to hear that DerAuslander. Hanmudo seems to be a good fit for me.

Like I said in the beginning, I was trying to stay away from any fraudulent schools. This one seems to be very straight and upright.

And as far as fight teams go, I'm not even sure what that is. I assume it would be some type of competition team. If that is the case, then no, they do not have one at this school. That was one of the things I like about it.