Sponsored Links Spacer Image

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    5/16/2006 4:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Odacon, it's the same reason as he'd have for arming himself anywhere else. Self-defense, for most of us.
    Same reason a lot of people study. . . . well, whatever you study.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2006 6:01pm

Style: nada

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think most colleges have similar rules. Both colleges that I have attended did.

Anyway, I carried a tactical folder pretty much the entire time I was in college without incident and knew many others through various martial arts clubs that did likewise. You have to consider the odds of your actually getting called out/caught for carrying.

Anyway, I'm not saying you should break the rules as I did (it's not my place to do so). It's just a decision you'll have to make for yourself, and unless you go brandishing it around, you're likely to get by just fine.

Posted On:
    5/16/2006 6:07pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With a folder, you've got the excuse that you can use it for work, camping, general outdoors stuff, etc. With an ASP, you've got no excuse if you get caught with it and questioned. Folders are usually legal, APSs often aren't.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2006 6:10pm

Style: nada

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Exactly. And, having grown up carrying a pocket knife since I was in Junior High, I just took for granted that I would always carry one. It's a basic tool that I use almost every day.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2006 6:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would suggest learning how to use a Kubotan, and purchasing a Surefire E2D. After all, you can use a flashlight anytime there is darkness, you can carry a Surefire absolutely anywhere, only very few people are going to know that it is an alternative force weapon.

Surefires are bright enough to temporarily disorient most people who are in the dark, again if that does not work, you can use it on pressure points, and if the S really HsTF, you can use it's bezel as an impact device.

Why not carry a Surefire and a quality folding knife, IMO you would be much better armed than carrying an ASP, and neither one of them screams WEAPON!!

Here is more info on the Surefire:

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/...1132/sesent/00
    Last edited by Robert McLeod; 5/16/2006 7:08pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 10:06pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a Surefire owner, and swear by them as amazing tools.

Odds are...the price, and the fact they run on five dollar batteries with a runtime of one hour isn't going to justify their construction. You might as well buy a Mini Maglite with the same intent, they're cheap, extremely tough aluminum, they come in different colors, and with the headpiece tucked under the thumb they make excellent pocket sticks for literally a tenth the price of an E2D which does have 'Defender' engraved on it with a black anodizing job and visible spikes. Mini Mags are the universal flashlight. They're decent stock, but run by Lowe's and get a Nite Ize LED upgrade for it for about the same price of the light, and you have an awesome little LED light that runs for twenty hours and works great in a blackout.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 10:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Carry a Leatherman Tool if you want something non-threatning. It can be used as a kubotan, used for a solid punch and it has.... wait for it... a knife. (or a screw driver, or a... ). When stopped, it's just a tool.
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2006 12:48am

Style: Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Careful of the knife. Most multi-tools are slick, and your hand can easily slip up onto the blade. On the other hand, well, watch Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder's "Stir Crazy" some time...

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    5/18/2006 4:47am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a collapsible baton - a plain one (I hate those sai ones) with no spring.

They are good for what they do but they aren't a weapon cops look particularly kindly on because they are sort of "paramilitary" and have no "tool" application...but they work like a mother for five or six strokes (after which point you'll have bent a cheap on)
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    5/18/2006 9:45am

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I carry a squirt gun full of hot sauce!
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast