Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2006 10:58pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Villain
    The STUDENTS don't pay the trainer. The PROMOTER pays the trainer. You've never heard of gym fees? My instructor manages every fight I'm in and when I show, he makes 150 dollars. If I actually payed for my lessons, I'd see 75 as a courtesy. I've never heard of a trainer, especially one who needs the money as bad as Manu letting his students go fight wherever. That gives him a bad name if they take and lose unauthorized fights and he loses the fighter fees that he should be receiving.
    Promoters will cover "travel" for amateur fighters. If they line up their own fights, they receive the travel stipend. If a trainer lines it up and comes with the fighter, the trainer receives it to disburse how he/she wants.

You just summed it up yourself... "If I actually payed for my lessons...... ", so in other words, you are not paying your trainer memberships fees for your training, so therefore he collects your travel stipend as payment for training since you are not paying him/her a monthly gym fee. Is that correct? Where a fighter is a member of a gym and actually pays a class tuition or gym fee, then the trainer doesnt usually just pocket the travel expense.

So when you fight and your trainer gets "paid" $150, who covers your travel expenses to get you to the fight? does your trainer also go with you and corner?

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    5/24/2006 11:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Plus, if Manu isn't managing them, they're getting ripped off. You can get management, boxing, muay thai and grappling all for 100 bucks a month.

One of the things I've been looking forward to is having Manu manage us, actually.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 9:06am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, my coach comes and pays for the travel. Whats your point? My agreement with my coach/manager is irrelevant here and I'm not saying he doesn't deserve his money. My point isn't that Manu MUST operate a certain way or anything, but that its out of character for Manu/Alliance. I've never heard of Alliance fighters running around without permission and/or endorsment, and I've heard that Manu takes care of his fighters. The money, which I've also heard Manu wouldn't mind, is a side issue.

In general its a good idea to talk with your instructor about your plans before running off haphazardly managing your fight career, which Kid and Kat obviously haven't done. How the money is divided up is the least of their concerns.
    My "point" was, you were making it sound like he took the full travel stipend and pocketed it and then the girls would be on their own to dig even deeper into their own pockets to travel to fights.

If he goes with them and takes care of them and their travel, then it sounds like a good thing for the girls. I am not trying to attack anyone, which is the way your posts sound like you are taking my posts. I want what is best for the girls too. I dont agree with trainers that pocket all of the travel and dont help out the fighters at all, which is what you made it sound like Manu does.

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 11:59am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Besides, they need to TALK to Manu about management, not form a judgement based on my comments.
    Perhaps this should be stapled to someone's forehead for emphasis?
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2006 12:50pm

Style: Muay Thai, JKD, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kat and ashley were going to fights on there own for some time now, because the gym they were previously training at, did not line up fights for them. As I understand it, they were primarily MMA and I think Kat and Ashley were the only females training there. So, much of the emphasis was placed on the male fighters. Thus, Kat began getting them fights so they could get some experience.

The trainer there did not seem to mind at all. Now that they are with Manu (I do not know him personally), he may not have cared up to this point if they took fights, since they had been prior to coming to his gym. I really don't know. BUT, If it were my gym and two new fighters began training under me, previous fight experience or not, I would require them to get all potential fights approved through me, because yes, it is now his "name" out there as the trainer. It only makes sense that he oversees the match ups.

So yes, I would also advise Kat and Ashley to "talk" with Manu and get his thoughts on the whole thing.

The word "manage" in my opinion, has no business being in the same sentence regarding "amateurs", as they are not managed in the same manner as PRO fighters, where contracts are negotiated and such. Manu would simply approve the actual match up so his fighters are not getting screwed by some shady matchmaker/promoter. If Manu goes along, HE is paid the travel stipend. IF the fighter comes alone, then THEY are paid the travel stipend. The coach (Manu in this case) would however negotiate the amount of travel stipend.

As far as being paid "gym fees" and not paying membership but paying the trainer for fights, well...I have not heard of that, but I guess coaches and fighters can make any arrangements they agree to in terms of how their training is paid for. You just gotta be careful with some athletic commissions as to how the fighter's travel is paid and how it is worded, make sense?

That is my 2 cents, take for what it is worth.
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920