Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 10:17pm

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Silencers: Fact and Fiction.

It occured to me the other day that as far as bullshit in guns go and misrepresentation in the media and the common world. I think silencers might have the biggest bullshit surrounding them, or at least unknowns.

I've done a little bit of research but most of the knowledge I have is heresay and therefore undependable.
    Also I'd like to get this topic addressed for further reference, because inevitably someone else is going to come and ask the same damn question.

Anyway, can someone verifiably, or at very least give me an account of first hand experience with silencers on weaponry?

The bullshit aspect that I am addressing of course is the issue of actual noise produced. I have heard from different people that it can make them as quiet as they appear to be in the movies. I have heard from others that they do no so much make it a quieter noise as they do change the sound of it so it sounds less like a gunshot.

Also if you could, address the issue on whether or not silencers can increase the chance of misfires and the chance of an accident occuring due to barrel blockage or just in general.

(Go ahead, someone post a link and make me feel like a dumbass, I just know it's going to happen.)

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 10:23pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The fact that the media has given silencers a bad rap really sucks. As if the sound of a gun shot is a deciding factor in trying to shoot someone.

I think it's a conspiracy by the manufacturers of hearing protection to keep us buying little foam earplugs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 10:27pm

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    speaking of that I was reading somewhere that even with protective ear covering continued use of guns can still damage your hearing, but not so with a silencer, which is why they are still legal in many states for civilian use.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    5/16/2006 12:24am

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It depends on the caliber of the round being fired and the size of the silencer. Remebr when doing you research that sound in decibles represent orders of magnitutde, so a reduction of 10db is extremely significant.

It has been my experience that cans work best with small caliber rounds such as the .22. With larger rounds the volume needed to baffle and silence the escaping gas entirely would call for an unrealistically large device. This is true for both large pistol and rifle rounds.

Here is a link for all of you to enjoy. I also have a PDF file on the engineering of a silencer, if any of you are interested.

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/.../518/sesent/00

This article will make you moist!

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    5/16/2006 6:49pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gunshido question from "Hannibal:"

In the book, one of the characters tapes an empty 2 liter soda bottle to the end of a .22 pistol, which the author claims would make it act as a silencer.

Yay or nay?

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    5/16/2006 7:42pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, it would work.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    5/16/2006 7:56pm

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Walther p22 with a suppressor is quiet enough to fire without hearing protection.
    The H and K mark 23 is not, the majority of the noise is the cycling of the slide. With both weapons, there was no malfunctions of any kind but both were designed with the suppressor.

I have never used a homemade suppressor or a weapon that was not professionally altered.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2006 8:22pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Remember that movie "On Deadly Ground" with Steven Segal" He used a two liter bottle and some duck tape to make a silencer for his pistol, it only worked for one shot though. I doubt it would work in real life, I mean the gases escaping the chamber, not to mention the the slug hitting the end of the bottle would probably blow the bottle off of the gun, or make it explode. I've never tried it so I don't know.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    5/16/2006 10:49pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Steve
    Gunshido question from "Hannibal:"

In the book, one of the characters tapes an empty 2 liter soda bottle to the end of a .22 pistol, which the author claims would make it act as a silencer.

Yay or nay?
    Yay, for one shot. Other expedient silencers include large 'taters (popular in Idaho and Ireland,) and baby bottles.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 4:25am

Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ive seen in some movies a guy put a pillow around the gun. How about that?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast