5/27/2006 12:43pm

Style: Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm currently deciding between this (the 4" zytel):
    http://www.coldsteel.com/tilites.html
    and this (plain clip pt.):
    http://www.coldsteel.com/recon1.html

The good thing about the first one is that it's cheaper and looks pretty bad ass. Plus I think it's legal to carry where I live.
    The second, however is black, which would come in handy in case i needed to disguise it at night and it's probably legal as well. But it's also a bit more expensive.
    If anyone has any reccomendations on which one to get, please let me know and if I get one, i'll report with a small review on it.
    I was thinking of getting the karambit and a boot knife II from their nightshade series because it would be a cheaper black knife and i could get the ti-lite as well, but I don't think they come with sheaths so I don't know how the **** i'd carry it around without dying from blood loss.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    5/27/2006 2:02pm

Style: Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSparkle
    The good thing about the first one is that it's cheaper and looks pretty bad ass. Plus I think it's legal to carry where I live.
    The second, however is black, which would come in handy in case i needed to disguise it at night and it's probably legal as well. But it's also a bit more expensive.
    If anyone has any reccomendations on which one to get, please let me know and if I get one, i'll report with a small review on it.
    I was thinking of getting the karambit and a boot knife II from their nightshade series because it would be a cheaper black knife and i could get the ti-lite as well, but I don't think they come with sheaths so I don't know how the **** i'd carry it around without dying from blood loss.
    I'd say you're thirty points off course and need to get back on the map.

First, it's a tool, not a fashion accessory. It can look good. If your aesthetic demands cheap and black (I can give you the phone numbers of a couple old girlfriends if you're into that :toothy9:) then go for it. But you'd be a fool to buy a tool you are staking your life on by appearance.

Black blade? Disguising it at night? What the ****? Ditch the ninja fantasies. If you're buying a knife for self defense go for good quality. Then think long and hard about the ethics and legalities of deadly force. Then get a lot of training. If you stroke yourself off thinking about cutting throats from behind or seriously think you are ever going to (outside of certain specialized jobs in the military) get some psychiatric help soonest.

This is why my teacher won't show knife to anyone who hasn't been with him for a long fucking time. He doesn't want to be responsible for mall ninjas or criminals going out and killing people with what he taught them.

Posted On:
    5/27/2006 9:25pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSparkle
    I'm currently deciding between this (the 4" zytel):
    http://www.coldsteel.com/tilites.html
    and this (plain clip pt.):
    http://www.coldsteel.com/recon1.html

Wow....conceal at night...the dark wasn't enough?? Anyways, purchased a 4 inch zytel Ti Lite today, lots of fun, sharp, good pocket knife. Pretty thin blade though, so I would go with something with a bit more strength to it and what do you mean where would you carry the Ti Lite it has a pocket clip, and how the hell are you going to die from blood loss? IT CLOSES!!
    Last edited by Crazy_eyes; 5/27/2006 9:28pm at .

Infidel

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    5/29/2006 11:39pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm of two minds with folding knives. (I refuse to call them "tactical folding knives because thats just some gimmick to make them sound high speed low drag).

I'm a big fan of putting money in good equipment but some of the pocket knives out there are retarded. $100-$150 for a folding pocket knife?

Sometimes I think you need to balance quality with being able to throw the knife away or loose it without crying.

Those CRTK or however it's spelt knives seem to be the big popular ones. Unfortinuately I think in many cases companies jack up prices on these suckers because they know people will think hey if it's expensive then it must be awesome.

BJJ wins again!

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Posted On:
    5/29/2006 11:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Many of the 100-150 dollar knives are well worth that price and some are even bargains. I firmly believe my Maxx was a steal at $125. It's huge, it's light as a feather, the D2 takes and holds a wicked edge, it's smooth as can be, the frame lock is nearly as strong as a fixed blade, it carries like it's not even there and it feels great in my hand. That's a lot to ask of a $100-range knife.

Anyway, if you want an uber-tactical knife camouflaged for covert deanimation activities, I suggest Dork Ops.

(Disclaimer: No, I don't actually suggest you buy this stuff. Their target audience is wannabes who don't know any better. They're not even trying to be subtle about it.)

BJJ wins again!

Achievements:

Posted On:
    5/29/2006 11:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    but I don't think they come with sheaths so I don't know how the **** i'd carry it around without dying from blood loss.
    Please keep in mind that I say this with kindness and love in my heart: you may not be smart enough to carry a pocket knife.

No, seriously, if you are determined to buy a knife to carry with you daily, go to an actual knife shop and ask the guys there what they think. If they suggest something too expensive, tell them so and they should move you down a level until you reach something with which you're comfortable. Otherwise, take their advice unless you have a solid reason why you're certain it won't work for you.

There's no shame in going to people who know and asking their advice. You CAN get hurt playing with knives if you don't understand and respect them.

Infidel

Achievements:

Posted On:
    5/30/2006 12:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fair enough. I guess if someone really wants to put the money into something they honestly feel they will use (I'm about to sing $370 into a GPS heh) then $150 pocket/ folding knives is perfectly sane. You obviously know your knives so your not going to settle for ****. I just don't like seeing guys getting ripped off paying a bunch of money for nothing, or getting something thats way beyond their requirement.

I guess I'm biased too. Up around my neck of the woods "tactical folding combat knives" are the fad and everyone carries 2 or 3 of them. I figure in a knife fight most peoples best bet is to throw your knife at the guys feet and hope he recognizes it and says "Hey thats the $200 Gerber mark IV!" and then hit him in the head with a rock :)

Those darkops fellows are out to lunch. I like the 911 interceptor.
    The 911 designation isn't for the emergency call, it's to remind its user of the enemy we face, the war we fight, and the heroes who fight it! With the subdued 9/11 Tribute limited edition nomenclature on it's blade, the operator carries with him a visible reminder of the Americans lost and the heroic efforts of those who take arms in defense of libert!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2006 2:29pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i am looking at getting a crkt m1 lightfoot, good value 4 money and fits really nice in my hand, the blade is a bit short though.

Infidel

Achievements:

Posted On:
    6/01/2006 3:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the blade is a bit short though.
    Get closer :)

BJJ wins again!

Achievements:

Posted On:
    6/01/2006 7:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I figure in a knife fight most peoples best bet is to throw your knife at the guys feet and hope he recognizes it and says "Hey thats the $200 Gerber mark IV!" and then hit him in the head with a rock :)
    That would work like a charm on me. You could probably do whatever you wanted.

And in the spirit of all things Tactical: www.tacticalgrilling.com
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 78 LastLast