Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2006 2:20pm

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tellner
    Forget "Tactical". it's just a word that's used to describe anything painted black and sold at a high price to people with physical inadequacies real or imagined
    I'm aware of that, its a loaded word much like "extreme."
    That is just what I tend to hear the more high quality folders refered to as. I.E. they would be capable of being used in a tacticle or combat situation because they are dependable and of high quality.

And thanks everyone for the recommendations so far, I will look into things. As far as the size I want, the laws here in Tennessee are basically folders with a four inch blade. Also gravity knives (balisong) are in a grey area. Because it doesn't say you can't use them specifically like it does switch blades, but it has a provision for knives that have "no common lawful purpose." So I suppose depending on the situation it would dictate whether or not they were legal.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    5/16/2006 4:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Tactical" has become a silly word, but the features of a "tactical" knife are generally thought to include the following, and they're very useful features for every day, not necessarily for fighting:
    • A strong, simple lock (I like pure lockbacks, frame locks, or the Axis/Rolling/etc. types.)
    • Egonomic grips and efficient blades with plenty of belly and efficient tips.
    • Light weight.
    • Strong, corrosion-resistant materials (this one gets debated.)
    • Easy, versatile carrying (the pocket clip was tactical before tactical was cool.)
    • Low-reflective coating and blood grooves for covert deanimation activities (Just kidding, but there's a company out there that actually uses those phrases in its advertising.)

I highly recommend Spyderco. Benchmade is very good, but I haven't been a fan since the Ascent. The Griptilian models with the Rolling Lock are very cool, though. I am NOT impressed with most Cold Steel models.

Hawkbills are really neato-looking and everything, but a good clip point is a lot more efficient at just about anything.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    5/16/2006 4:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn

I highly recommend Spyderco. Benchmade is very good, but I haven't been a fan since the Ascent. The Griptilian models with the Rolling Lock are very cool, though. I am NOT impressed with most Cold Steel models.

Hawkbills are really neato-looking and everything, but a good clip point is a lot more efficient at just about anything.
    So I should bite the bullet and finaly check out the Spyderco's ? I have been hating on them quietly becouse of the EXXXTREME !!!!! look they seem to carry .

I honestly haven't seen or handled one that looked "normal" and functional .

Off to google it for a while and see what I find .

*edit*

damn this is nice ...

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=195

A little big but I like it as well

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=22
    Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 5/16/2006 4:42pm at .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Posted On:
    5/16/2006 7:55pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, this is my first post, just like to say hi to all, anyways back to the point so to speak, as previously stated it doesn't need to be designated as "tactical" to damage. Any sharp knife blade can seriously f*ck you up, tactical or not. What you want to look for is STRENGTH, and SPEED. Not necessarily speed of opening but speed of access. So these are my two suggestions based on what I own.

1) Kershaw Storm 2, a folder with roughly a 3.5 to 4 inch blade, slight recurve.

2)Kershaw Military Knife, a fixed blade, but small (4 inches or so) and quick, the under the coat option of carry is outstanding, you cant even see the outline of the knife, and it's a quick release kydex sheath, no straps just give it a quick jerk and the knife comes out smooth.

A word on blade styles: If your looking for a tactical knife, look at drop points, sturdy stilletos (I say sturdy because some stilleto blades break easy at the tip), and clip points.

Thats all for my first post. Hope it helps

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    5/16/2006 7:59pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Am I the only one that likes Hawkbills?

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    5/16/2006 8:01pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    So I should bite the bullet and finaly check out the Spyderco's ? I have been hating on them quietly becouse of the EXXXTREME !!!!! look they seem to carry .

I honestly haven't seen or handled one that looked "normal" and functional .

Off to google it for a while and see what I find .

*edit*

damn this is nice ...

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=195

A little big but I like it as well

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=22
    $190? wow didn't know Spyderco was so pricy. I'll stick with Kabar.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 7:32am

Style: BBT/Flinging poo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Benchmade Axis lock is very strong. Most production liner locks are going to be a little on the thin side, to include the Emersons. Most people are not going to need a very beefy lock though unless there are using the knife pretty roughly.

I have an old benchmade Griptilian and loved it. It opened smoothly and had a strong lock-up. For the money, CRKT makes some good fixed blades also. I'm not a big fan of the Kershaws, only because their liner locks are paper thin. I'm not to keen on Cold Steel either, but that's because the owner is a fucking putz.

The best thing you can do, go to a knife store and handle all the knives until you find one that is right for you. Just because it looks cool isn't a good reason to buy it, unless it is for collecting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 7:35am

Style: BBT/Flinging poo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pl4zM4
    Am I the only one that likes Hawkbills?

Not a hawkbill, but I have one of these. It is my favorite folder. It's called the Raven. click on the picture for it to see some of the variations.

http://www.reeseweilandknives.com/rw_knives_home.htm

Sardonic or Sarcastic?

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 8:45am

supporting member
     Style: Filipino Kun Tao, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like my Cold Steel Vaquero but I have one problem with it: the serrated edge. I would recommend staying away from serrated edges unless your sharpening-fu is strong. Mine is not and I'm afraid of fucking up the edge of my knife. I'm considering getting a Cold Steel Scimitar w/o the serrated edge because of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    I would so do Buttsecks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2006 10:37am

Style: Muay Thai, Kali, Fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My two cents- I carried a Spyderco Military for years. When I got the itch for an upgrade, I went to the Emmerson Commander. Both are fabulous knives- the locks are very strong and they hold a good edge. FYI- the military is getting to be an old model now, so it might be relatively cheap. The Emmerson, otoh, has the fastest draw of any non-spring loaded knife (it is fast!).
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast