Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 9:49pm

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tactical folder recommendations?

This is very similar to filtersweep's thread. Im going to be buying a tactical folder here soon and I was wondering if anyone has any specific recommendations or what to avoid.

I've been looking at cold steel and Kabar folders, and frankly I don't know enough technical nitty and gritty to be able to tell each different model apart as far as effectiveness, stableness and quality.
    If someone can recommend another knife company as well that would be great. Really the big thing Im looking for is that it won't lock up and can stand a bit of tension. I am paranoid about lock ups on folders, and I would go with a fixed blade but I just prefer the ergonomic size of folders.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

Oh, as an adendum, if anyone wants to argue why I should go fixed blade instead feel free, I would like to see both sides. As is though I'm pretty sure I want a folder.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 9:55pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OMGBBQLOL

See my sig. Kabar Hawkbill.

https://www.kabar.com/product_detail...itary/Tactical

Yes I am a Kabar nutrider.

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 10:07pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know about the concept of tactical knives to begin with, unless you're actively training for sentry removal or something along those lines in the military. IMO a knife should be more about general utility than getting all stabby with it, at least nowadays.

I'd love to hear some actual facts on this, but there has to be some data regarding criminal convictions of people using knives for self defense vs licensed firearms vs non-lethal implements. I imagine pulling a knife in any situation is not going to be looked on positively by a judge or jury.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 10:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The hide of a living and resisting boar was no match for my regular old kabar.

Dead is superlative.

Sharp Metal doesn't have much of a problem entering flesh...and it need not be surgically sharp.

I'd concern myself with the higher qualities...looks, comfort, durability of cutting other stuff. That's subjective en ****, mmmhmmm.
    Last edited by Nid; 5/15/2006 10:16pm at .

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 10:35pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KageKaze
    OMGBBQLOL

See my sig. Kabar Hawkbill.

https://www.kabar.com/product_detail...itary/Tactical

Yes I am a Kabar nutrider.
    Join us in the land of the sane and realize your maximum utility from that thing will be using it as a letter opener.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 11:19pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuma-Gorath
    Join us in the land of the sane and realize your maximum utility from that thing will be using it as a letter opener.
    Actually, I use it mainly as a box opener and on occasion to cut string or thread.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    5/16/2006 12:33am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

For Folders

I really enjoy Benchmades if you have to go with a folder ...

http://www.benchmade.com/products/pr...aspx?model=610
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2006 1:39am

Style: Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Count this as another vote for Benchmade. I have a 707, had a Monochrome (which I lost truck shopping :( ), and am expecting a 12205 in the mail any day. They're made of great materials, they look good, they're well-built, and come with some of the best customer service the market has to offer (free sharpening for life!)

The only bad thing I'd say about them is that they tend to be expensive. If you're looking for deals, you can probably find an equivilent knife for less money somewhere else. Other than that, you really can't go wrong with anything in their catalog. Check them out:

http://www.benchmade.com

Also! They also sponser a lot of local fighters, especially out of Team Quest. Check out this limited edition folder they put together for Randy Couture to commemorate his retirement:

http://www.benchmade.com/couture.aspx

Ugly! But a nice gesture.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2006 9:55am

Style: BJJ, MACP (hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try also www.spyderco.com
    They pretty much started the clip-carried, one-handed opening revolution.

www.emersonknives.com
    Ernie Emerson's production company. Pricier than Spyderco or Benchmade, but also a proven commodity. Comfortable, ergonomic and sharp.

This is from a knife geek perspective, though. I mean, I pack around a Strider folder, and that is probably out of the realm of what you want...my recommendation would be a Spyderco Delica or Endura model, depending on how big a blade you want.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2006 2:03pm

Style: Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Benchmade, Cold Steel, CRKT, Emerson and the always-reliable Spyderco turn out excellent products for a reasonable price. They can be used for self defense and also as, well, knives. Find the one that fits your hand and lifestyle. Forget "Tactical". it's just a word that's used to describe anything painted black and sold at a high price to people with physical inadequacies real or imagined
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast