1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    57
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Ready to Get it On!

    Ok so I've been taking TKD for 2 years now and have finally come to the realization that its not really worth anything (I have to give a big shout out to bullshido.com for that). Even though it is the ITA branch and it allows puching to the head and fairly realistic sparing I get the feeling that its still a dead art. So I think I'm going to try to get into MMA. Theres a school not far from where I live that I might join. But I do have a couple of questions...

    1. Whats the best way to figure out if its training methods are BS or not? Their website is pretty informative and their memebers seem to have had a lot of success.

    http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/afapraxis/

    2. I've never done full contact before. Whats the best way to get ready for it? How do you learn to cope with a knockout puch or kick? I'm ok with feeling pain but I think it would be a good idea to learn how to deal with it beforehand. Maybe I should have my brother clober me a few times until I can get over it...

    Any advice would be great.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    923
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You owe yourself an apology.
    He who attains his ideal by that very fact transcends it- Nietzsche

    I like my Te like I like my tea- from Fujian province and without any bullshit in it. Oh, and green. And scented with jasmine blossoms...

    Quote Originally Posted by A Better American Than You
    In every country and every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    248
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd personally want to know if it is possible to train there and not go in the 'sport' direction.

    Of course if you are interested in sport, they look great for that.

  4. #4
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    8,859
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Urbanus1234
    Ok so I've been taking TKD for 2 years now and have finally come to the realization that its not really worth anything (I have to give a big shout out to bullshido.com for that). Even though it is the ITA branch and it allows puching to the head and fairly realistic sparing I get the feeling that its still a dead art. So I think I'm going to try to get into MMA. Theres a school not far from where I live that I might join. But I do have a couple of questions....
    I always thought ITA was the worst for realistic sparring ... I am problably just getting my abreviations confused .
    Quote Originally Posted by Urbanus1234
    1. Whats the best way to figure out if its training methods are BS or not? Their website is pretty informative and their memebers seem to have had a lot of success.

    http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/afapraxis/.
    Spar them and spar hard with them . If they are not open to hard or full contact sparring they really arent a place I want to assiocate with .

    If its grappling they should be competing or atleast have a "team" that travels and/or competes localy .
    Quote Originally Posted by Urbanus1234
    2. I've never done full contact before. Whats the best way to get ready for it? How do you learn to cope with a knockout puch or kick? I'm ok with feeling pain but I think it would be a good idea to learn how to deal with it beforehand. Maybe I should have my brother clober me a few times until I can get over it...

    Any advice would be great.
    I wouldn't suggest full contact full range sparing unless you know when and how to tap .

    If it is just stand up it's kinda hard to really **** up with gloves , cup , mouth peice , and some sort of padding on the floor ( grass , matts , lava ... etc ..)

    Start off slow and work your way up . It is only rocket science as you get a better game ... just get comfortable with hitting and getting hit at first .
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    57
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The ITA (according to my instructors) is an offshoot of USTA. Apparently some instructors in the USTA had a problem with their training and sparing methods and decided to leave. Some of the differences I noticed are the fact that we don't were the dorky body armor with the spots and we can puch to the head during regular sparring (not in tournaments though).

    And thanks for the advice!

  6. #6
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    8,859
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Urbanus1234
    The ITA (according to my instructors) is an offshoot of USTA. Apparently some instructors in the USTA had a problem with their training and sparing methods and decided to leave. Some of the differences I noticed are the fact that we don't were the dorky body armor with the spots and we can puch to the head during regular sparring (not in tournaments though).

    And thanks for the advice!
    I was thinking ATA ... ... never actually heard of ITA or USTA .Nice to have heard that atleast some of them ( refering to TKD ) have lost the chest protectors .
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

  7. #7

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    57
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't be suprised. The ITA is realy obscure...you can probably find only a couple of refrences on the web. Maybe 3 or 4. It's an ok style, but its still a dead art with 0 grappling.

  8. #8
    i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens! supporting member

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    herndon, va, usa
    Posts
    3,521
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    a lack of grappling does not a dead art make.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    923
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did someone say that it did?
    He who attains his ideal by that very fact transcends it- Nietzsche

    I like my Te like I like my tea- from Fujian province and without any bullshit in it. Oh, and green. And scented with jasmine blossoms...

    Quote Originally Posted by A Better American Than You
    In every country and every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO