Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 5:37pm

Style: Team Praxis MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ready to Get it On!

Ok so I've been taking TKD for 2 years now and have finally come to the realization that its not really worth anything (I have to give a big shout out to bullshido.com for that). Even though it is the ITA branch and it allows puching to the head and fairly realistic sparing I get the feeling that its still a dead art. So I think I'm going to try to get into MMA. Theres a school not far from where I live that I might join. But I do have a couple of questions...

1. Whats the best way to figure out if its training methods are BS or not? Their website is pretty informative and their memebers seem to have had a lot of success.

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/afapraxis/

2. I've never done full contact before. Whats the best way to get ready for it? How do you learn to cope with a knockout puch or kick? I'm ok with feeling pain but I think it would be a good idea to learn how to deal with it beforehand. Maybe I should have my brother clober me a few times until I can get over it...

Any advice would be great.

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 5:50pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You owe yourself an apology.
    He who attains his ideal by that very fact transcends it- Nietzsche

I like my Te like I like my tea- from Fujian province and without any bullshit in it. Oh, and green. And scented with jasmine blossoms...

Quote Originally Posted by A Better American Than You
    In every country and every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 6:20pm

Style: aikido, taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd personally want to know if it is possible to train there and not go in the 'sport' direction.

Of course if you are interested in sport, they look great for that.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 6:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Urbanus1234
    Ok so I've been taking TKD for 2 years now and have finally come to the realization that its not really worth anything (I have to give a big shout out to bullshido.com for that). Even though it is the ITA branch and it allows puching to the head and fairly realistic sparing I get the feeling that its still a dead art. So I think I'm going to try to get into MMA. Theres a school not far from where I live that I might join. But I do have a couple of questions....
    I always thought ITA was the worst for realistic sparring ... I am problably just getting my abreviations confused .
    1. Whats the best way to figure out if its training methods are BS or not? Their website is pretty informative and their memebers seem to have had a lot of success.

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/afapraxis/.
    Spar them and spar hard with them . If they are not open to hard or full contact sparring they really arent a place I want to assiocate with .

If its grappling they should be competing or atleast have a "team" that travels and/or competes localy .
    2. I've never done full contact before. Whats the best way to get ready for it? How do you learn to cope with a knockout puch or kick? I'm ok with feeling pain but I think it would be a good idea to learn how to deal with it beforehand. Maybe I should have my brother clober me a few times until I can get over it...

Any advice would be great.
    I wouldn't suggest full contact full range sparing unless you know when and how to tap .

If it is just stand up it's kinda hard to really **** up with gloves , cup , mouth peice , and some sort of padding on the floor ( grass , matts , lava ... etc ..)

Start off slow and work your way up . It is only rocket science as you get a better game ... just get comfortable with hitting and getting hit at first .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 7:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The ITA (according to my instructors) is an offshoot of USTA. Apparently some instructors in the USTA had a problem with their training and sparing methods and decided to leave. Some of the differences I noticed are the fact that we don't were the dorky body armor with the spots and we can puch to the head during regular sparring (not in tournaments though).

And thanks for the advice!

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 7:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The ITA (according to my instructors) is an offshoot of USTA. Apparently some instructors in the USTA had a problem with their training and sparing methods and decided to leave. Some of the differences I noticed are the fact that we don't were the dorky body armor with the spots and we can puch to the head during regular sparring (not in tournaments though).

And thanks for the advice!
    I was thinking ATA ... ... never actually heard of ITA or USTA .Nice to have heard that atleast some of them ( refering to TKD ) have lost the chest protectors .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 8:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't be suprised. The ITA is realy obscure...you can probably find only a couple of refrences on the web. Maybe 3 or 4. It's an ok style, but its still a dead art with 0 grappling.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 8:48pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    a lack of grappling does not a dead art make.

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 8:53pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did someone say that it did?
    He who attains his ideal by that very fact transcends it- Nietzsche

I like my Te like I like my tea- from Fujian province and without any bullshit in it. Oh, and green. And scented with jasmine blossoms...

Quote Originally Posted by A Better American Than You
    In every country and every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot.