Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 1:23pm

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Anyone else been had by this?

OK, has anyone else been taken in by this "Hall of Fame" bullshit?

I'll admit, I have, ONCE!

Sure at first, I thought it was an honor to be mentioned/nominated for something like this. After being in the arts for 20+ years, I thought, wow, somebody noticed me!

WRONG!

Little did I know that my Head Instructor's motive was to get as many of his senior students/Black belts on the rolls of as many "Halls of Fame" as possible to boost his status and the status of himself, his school and organization. Also, he was getting either a free seat or a discount depending upon how many of his nominations made it. And then he got to be on the boards of these organizations!
    And adding to it, this is how a great majority of these Sokes/10th Dans get promoted to the ranks/positions that they are in. Good ole boys slapping each other on the back with one hand, and holding the other out for the payoff for that next Dan stripe or rank.

Ok, now go ahead and laugh and point! To really top it off, the organization that had me in their "Hall of Fame", no longer exists! Seems that some money disappeared, and hence no one no longer supports that organizer/organization.

The name of the group that I was in was "The North American Black Belt Hall of Fame". No longer in business, so I'm told. Here's a link: http://www.nabbhof.cjb.net/. Notice that there has not been an update since 2001!!!!

So, who else has been taken by this? Myself, it only cost me $250 for the honor! Didn't get much in return, just a cheap cup and a booklet that was photocopied to show all of the nominations.

And after that, I was pressured to apply for others, as dear Soke suggested. Things got pretty heated when I did not show interest anymore.

Would like to hear other tales of woe and the pressure by others to join-in on this farce!

Enjoy a cruel laugh on me, and feel free to add to it.

rawr

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 1:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Mushin Dao, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well I'm laughing at you for sure.

my old sifu/GM were into one of these BS orgs, they had tons of crap from them padding their resume's
    I think it was two ninjas taped together, to make one GIANT NINJA!!!!

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 2:14pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I get at least one of these a year. Threw all of them away except one. It didn't cost me anything and I respected the people who nominated me and didn't feel like disrespecting them.

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 2:27pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkieusa
    So, who else has been taken by this? Myself, it only cost me $250 for the honor! Didn't get much in return, just a cheap cup and a booklet that was photocopied to show all of the nominations.

And after that, I was pressured to apply for others, as dear Soke suggested. Things got pretty heated when I did not show interest anymore.

Would like to hear other tales of woe and the pressure by others to join-in on this farce!
    I won't laugh (at least not overtly) but damn $250? That's 120. Ouch.

I take it you and, er, "Soke", have parted ways. Name and shame please.
    He who attains his ideal by that very fact transcends it- Nietzsche

I like my Te like I like my tea- from Fujian province and without any bullshit in it. Oh, and green. And scented with jasmine blossoms...

Quote Originally Posted by A Better American Than You
    In every country and every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot.

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 2:35pm

Style: wagamichi shorei kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another one is the "world martial arts hall of fame." For $450.00 you cab be the instructor of the year. Hahahahahahahaha.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 2:37pm

Style: Sub-wrestling, mostly...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Never trust an organization that can't even afford a domain name. cjb.net? I usto use their free subdomain redirection service to one of my first geocities sites when I was 11!

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 2:47pm

Style: wagamichi shorei kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    P.T. barnum should start a hall of fame!

"Step right up Get your name on a brochure for the unbeliveable price ofr just $450.00 Thats a steal Senseis'. Now you too can be somebody! Prove to the world that even though you have never left Billings Montana, The world of martial arts ows you a debt and recognition for being the most inovative martial artist to ever live. Thats right, your name will be right under Bruce Lee...the most deadly kung-fu fighter to ever live. Now those other Sensei in your town will walk lightly around you. They will know not to mess with a P.T. Barnum world deadly fighter hall of fame member.

Step right up..."

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 3:04pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Send me a check. I have my own hall of fame going.