Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 2:52pm

Style: Kukki-Taekwondo, Yudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Face punching won't happen unless the WTF and ITF make a compromise and unite. The TKD world has high hopes for this as they are meeting on a regular basis. I think the biggest change the WTF TKD sparring needs is simply more punching. That is not the solution to everything but it would certainly increase TKDers' close range awareness.

I don't think protective gear will ever be thrown away, unfortunately. Although the Kukkiwon and WTF are interested in improving TKD, they also want to keep TKD's status as the most popular MA. Getting rid of protective gear will result in the decrease of TKD practitioners worldwide... Pussies...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 2:53pm

Style: No time for training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The rules would have to change for WTF Taekwondo to be practiced differently, as Captain Spaulding said. Even though many taekwondoins have no intention of competing I think many of them, and many dojangs, still practice with WTF rules, unfortunately, and that is pretty useless for self-defence.

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 2:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Although WTF TKD has its limitations and I recognize that, I don't think WTF rules are useless at all for self defense from an analytical point of view. WTF TKD is still full contact and thus WTF taekwondoins need to know how to kick hard and fast with their kicks. They also use the occasional punch or two. The techniques that are used in WTF TKD sparring as well as other thigns learned such as timing, strategy, and distance control will help you in self defense.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 3:31pm

Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding
    I searched and didn't find it.

You get kneed in the head how many times in fights yet complain that we're giving you a headache?

Okay, that didn't convey what I was trying to get across. Sorry if it was taken wrong.

Another thing: punching to the body has always been allowed in WTF sparring with the same criteria for scoring. Yet I've never seen anyone given a point for a punch. I once saw a guy knock another down with a punch to the chest and it wasn't scored.
    Last edited by Captain Spaulding; 5/14/2006 3:36pm at .

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 4:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's exactly what the WTF has corrected starting from the spring of 2005.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 6:05pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, sure. It's what they SAY they've corrected, but I haven't seen the revolution produce fighters yet.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 6:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey thanks for the props for the idea, although you are still a biter ;)

As for your article, good points, but to be quite honest I think that any style that changes for the better will at best become an MMA school with an "emphasis" on a certain quality. As for TKD it would emphasize powerful and flashy kicks for KO's rather than points.

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 6:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your argument is perfectly logical. However, no noteworthy TKD practitioner has ever stepped into the ring. I think we can only see what TKD guys are capable of if they actually get in there. And right now, there is little motivation. WTF TKD offers a lot more money and glory and opportunity. Most TKD athletes reason that why should they step into the K-1 ring or MMA ring if they're already earning medals for their country.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 7:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TKDer
    Your argument is perfectly logical. However, no noteworthy TKD practitioner has ever stepped into the ring. I think we can only see what TKD guys are capable of if they actually get in there. And right now, there is little motivation. WTF TKD offers a lot more money and glory and opportunity. Most TKD athletes reason that why should they step into the K-1 ring or MMA ring if they're already earning medals for their country.
    Perhaps living up to the status as a real fighter and bringing honor to your art? Lowering it to the standard of a glorified game of tag is hardly respectable if you ask me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 7:29pm

Style: Hiatus for Gen. Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From my own personal experience, I would say the best way to avoid the aforementioned criticisms would be to join a Moo Duk Kwan school. We spar without the chest protectors, we utilize "fighting stance" (which is essentially a squared off boxing stance,) kicks are emphasized through the sheer number of variations, but hand strikes including punches to the face (we've got gloves, why not?) are drilled and used often. Pretty much the only element missing is some sort of grappling; but we are MDK TKD, it's not exactly a grappling art. Cross-training is encouraged and Aikido is part of the higher belt test criteria (though really, it's basic self defense-- in depth study of Aikido, while provided free to members, is optional.)

McDojangs... I guess there is really no getting rid of them, but Florida MDK (or American Butokukan as Todd Jones has taken to calling it, thanks to a political shitstorm) is generally college club-based and thus very inexpensive.

Again, though, I can only relate my own experiences with Florida Moo Duk Kwan.

Edit: Our sparring is technically full contact point sparring. I say technically because we have a rule that the lower rank sets the pace of the match, so it usually gets full contact; after a hit, we recognize the hit, touch gloves, and go back to sparring.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast