Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    8
    Style
    tae kwon do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    anybody heard about this school

    hi, guys. i'm a newbie, and this is my first post. please don't kill me. i'm starting with a tae kwon do school, in glen rock, new jersey, stevens taekwondo. i enjoy the instructor, and it doesn't seem like an obvious mcdojo, but if anyone is familiar, and has an opinion, let me know. i understand there's a lot of bias against tae kwon do on this site, but please try to be objective.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    987
    Style
    Yudo, Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dturtleman
    hi, guys. i'm a newbie, and this is my first post. please don't kill me. i'm starting with a tae kwon do school, in glen rock, new jersey, stevens taekwondo. i enjoy the instructor, and it doesn't seem like an obvious mcdojo, but if anyone is familiar, and has an opinion, let me know. i understand there's a lot of bias against tae kwon do on this site, but please try to be objective.
    Is this the school you are considering?

    http://www.stevenstaekwondo.com/

    And it's not exactly bias against TKD, it's more about bias about bullshido most TKD teach.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    8
    Style
    tae kwon do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yup, that's the school.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    987
    Style
    Yudo, Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd advise take your money and drive littler further out and go here...

    http://www.armlock.com/

    Elmwood Park, NJ. BJJ and Judo.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    8
    Style
    tae kwon do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    babo78,
    are you training at performance right now, or have you trained here before?

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    3,378
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by babo78
    I'd advise take your money and drive littler further out and go here...

    http://www.armlock.com/

    Elmwood Park, NJ. BJJ and Judo.
    I would bet that 6 months under a Royler Gracie Black Belt would be all you need to destroy most if not all of the BB's at Steve's TKD. JMO

    Listen to babo78.

  7. #7
    Abe Frohman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    341
    Style
    Korean Krotty
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its not so much a bias against TKD as much as it is zero tolerance for TKD nutriders who refuse to recognize its limitations.


    What are your goals, or what do want to get out of Martial Arts?

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    8
    Style
    tae kwon do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i just want to learn an effective system of self-defense. i read up a little bit on bjj, but i don't feel comfortable with it, as you don't use strikes.

  9. #9
    Odacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    3,632
    Style
    Bits and pieces
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenJonas
    I would bet that 6 months under a Royler Gracie Black Belt would be all you need to destroy most if not all of the BB's at Steve's TKD. JMO

    Listen to babo78.
    Not necessarily, they could have anti-grappling classes too:toothy9: . Seriously though, go with the BJJ option, it's much better in the long run.

  10. #10
    Abe Frohman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    341
    Style
    Korean Krotty
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In that case go take judo. As time/money permits find yourself a striking class preferably along the lines of MT or Boxing. A good FMA class would be ideal though imo.

    Edit: If you have bjj close by thats good as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in