Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 5:58am

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah thats what i was thinking of: calling the Australian Defence Force and asking whether someone with this kind of problem (though it dosent occur anymore) could still be enlisted, if they ask for details ill just give a fake name. If i have to, i sure as hell will lie. this is all ive ever wanted to do, so i wont screw up.
    Besides, i wont be enlisting until january next year, i just wasnt sure whether its worth me making plans for my life on something that may not happen.

Thanks everyone.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 2:58pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think a very important piece of advice was not put out.

Everyone says asks the recruiter. That is the wrong answer. You should ask a doctor. You say you are going to join the military because all you ever wanted was to be in the military. As a military man myself, I think that's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard, but you're going to do whatever you want regardless of what I say.

Suppose your condition is bad enough to keep you out of the service, but you manage to get in anyway, either due to your lying, or an unscrupulous recruiter trying to make his monthly quota. What are you going to do when you PERMANANTLY jack your shoulder up? Are you going to be swelling with pride over your seven months of service when you wake up every morning for the rest of your life unable to scratch your nose until you've had your pain medicine? How much do you enjoy your Thai boxing? What if you are injured to the point where you can't throw a decent punch anymore? In the US, there are plenty of people who join the military in a perfectly healthy state. By the time they leave, they do so with trick shoulders, messed up knees, bad ankles, and a plethora of other injuries that will be with them for life. YOU ALREADY HAVE AN EXISTING CONDITION. YOU ARE AT AN INCREASED CHANCE OF SUSTAINING PERMANANT DAMAGE.

You say you won't screw this up. Okay, lying is easy enough. But what if it ends up screwing you up? Are you prepared to take that gamble just to make your childhood fantasies of wearing camouflage, telling people you are a bad ass, and enjoying your occasionaly military discount come true?

Go ask a doctor, not a recruiter. Go ask a doctor before you even talk to a recruiter. And make sure you know what you are getting into.

Not over zealous, but just zealous enough. 病気の粗悪品

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 3:11pm

Style: Okinawan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elipson
    **** asking the recruiters! Just ignore it and dont admit it. When they ask if you have ANY health issues, just say "no sir!"
    That's "Sir no sir, sir, sir!"

I say don't say anything unless you are asked.

It should not be a problem.

If it ends up being a problem they will give you a medical discharge.
    People often tell me that I fail to see the gravity of the situation.
    I see the gravity, and I say...

Step right up folks and watch me defy gravity!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 4:57pm

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HoratioHooah
    You say you won't screw this up. Okay, lying is easy enough. But what if it ends up screwing you up? Are you prepared to take that gamble just to make your childhood fantasies of wearing camouflage, telling people you are a bad ass, and enjoying your occasionaly military discount come true?
    Hey, settle down buddy, that was not required. I appreciate your imput, but i didnt start this thread so some bloke can put **** on me.
    Like i said, my reasons for wanting to enlist ARE NOT the fact that i have wanted to do this for a long time. Thats just plain dumb.
    All i did was mention that it was what i always wanted to do.
    I will be calling the enlister and seeing a physiotherapist soon.
    Thanks everyone.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 5:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HoratioHooah
    I think a very important piece of advice was not put out.

Everyone says asks the recruiter. That is the wrong answer. You should ask a doctor. You say you are going to join the military because all you ever wanted was to be in the military. As a military man myself, I think that's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard, but you're going to do whatever you want regardless of what I say.
    So why did you go into the military just out of curiousity?

And there are guys who join just for the pride of it. Look at Jarheads. We don't get any signing bonuses of $20k, and not all that much for college either. You have to have a loose screw in your head already to go that route.

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 5:52pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HorationHoohah
    In the US, there are plenty of people who join the military in a perfectly healthy state. By the time they leave, they do so with trick shoulders, messed up knees, bad ankles, and a plethora of other injuries that will be with them for life
    EXTREMELY good advice here. I'm a prime example.

I went in as an assistant martial arts instructor with a PFT of around 280. I maxed at around 23 pull-ups, 160 sit-ups, and around a 6:30 minute mile run time.

After fracturing both of my shins (which screwed up my knees too), straining both my shoulders, and jacking up my back...I'm in a much worse state now than I was before I went in.

I can't run or jog anymore (trust me, I've tried...and I've been through 3 different physical therapists) and something as simple as moving mattresses can throw out my back and put me on meds for weeks.

The worst part is that I'm under 30 years old.

Now don't get me wrong, I loved the Corps and I still have a gaggle of friends from my time in there. I went places I never would have before and learned skills I would have never thought possible....so don't misinterpret my bitching and moaning for regret.

The bottom line is that you can pay attention and learn from our mistakes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 6:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Koto_Ryu
    So why did you go into the military just out of curiousity?
    I was about to graduate from high school, college was too expensive, and I foolishly felt I had to get away from home.

In retrospect, there were probably a plethora of other options, which is partly why I hate seeing people join the military without thinking the whole matter through.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    5/16/2006 8:08am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If he says he's been wanting to do it since he was young though, he's obviously thought it through. My little brother turned down college scholarships (for academics, he never played much sports) to go into the Army and he's loving it. LRS is a blast for him.

We went in because we wanted to. There are some people who are just like that. Remember Pat Tillman?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2006 12:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Koto_Ryu
    If he says he's been wanting to do it since he was young though, he's obviously thought it through. My little brother turned down college scholarships (for academics, he never played much sports) to go into the Army and he's loving it. LRS is a blast for him.

We went in because we wanted to. There are some people who are just like that. Remember Pat Tillman?

In my opinion, Pat Tilman's death, while certainly very tragic, was not any more tragic or newsworthy than the death of, say, SPC Harley Miller. As I am short on time right now, I will return later to give more details.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2006 9:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First, I want to say that I had originally intended to ammend the above post when I had the time, however, I seem to not be able to edit posts anymore.

Yes, Pat Tillman gave up an NFL contract to become a soldier, and died a tragic death due to the incompetence of his fellow soldiers. He certainly made a noble sacrifice in walking away from the adulations of fans and more money in his bank account than he would ever have as a professional soldier. I have no intention of taking away from the heroism that he displayed. However, what often gets lost when thinking about this sad event is that Pat Tillman is not the only person who gave something up to join the military, and he was not the only person to die in combat.

For example, this guy.

SPC Harley Miller is someone you have probably never heard of until I mentioned his name. He, and five others, died in a plane crash over Bamiyan Province, Afghanistan. According to the medical report, Miller was the last to die. With a broken back, he managed to crawl to get to his gear, find and unroll his sleeping bag, crawl inside, and lit up a cigarette. He was halfway through his cigarette when he died of his injuries.

I might get a bit irrational here because this story is somewhat personal to me. Despite being in the same cavalry squadron as him, I had never spoken to Miller before. The first and only time I can remember seeing him was on a CH-47 on the way from Kandahar to Shindand. He was throwing up into a bag due to his air sickness. Our squadron commander was fond of grabbing random folks to accompany him on various trips to various parts of the country. Either by chance or design, it was often me who he took along with him. I have this nagging feeling that if I had not been med-evac'd out of country with a partial severed finger (cuased by another dumb ass soldier...post operation pics available upon request) shortly before, I would have died on that plane instead of Miller.

When I see people acting stupid and abusing the rights that people have died to give them, it's not Pat Tillman getting killed by friendly fire that pisses me off. It's Harley, with his broken back and other injuries, drumming up the will to survive long enough; keeping enough sense about to find something to keep warm; bearing through the pain of his broken body to wait for rescue, and the despair he must have felt when he realized he was going to die.

So that's why it bothers me that the media latched onto Pat Tillman. There are so many others who've given up just as much. It may not have been monetary, but they were things equally valuable. Yes, Pat Tillman is a hero. But so is Harley Miller.

And, aside from the rant, I consider "patriotism" to be a different reason than "I wanted it since I was a kid for reasons I'm not going to tell you so you just have to believe me, so stop making fun of me."
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast