232735 Bullies, 3710 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 25
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Jez is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    334

    Posted On:
    5/14/2006 3:43am


     Style: Rehab

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Military Question

    Ever scince i was young ive wanted to be in the military. Next year i turn 17 and im keen as to join up, though i may join the reserves before i go full military.
    I have a shoulder problem though, something called 'hyperflexibility'. Its dislocated a couple of times, it stopped me doing submission fighting and stopped me playing local/regional/state football.
    Its strong as, i can still do the throws i learnt with it, and i can still box and do thai style grappling, and basic groundwork, but if it is put under extreme pressure in the wrong direction, it can dislocate.
    My question is, 'will this rule me out for military service?'
    I know there are alot of military types on this website, so i was wondering if people could tell me what they think.
    Thanks :qpepsi:
  2. HoratioHooah is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    255

    Posted On:
    5/14/2006 6:08am


     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jez
    Ever scince i was young ive wanted to be in the military. Next year i turn 17 and im keen as to join up, though i may join the reserves before i go full military.
    I have a shoulder problem though, something called 'hyperflexibility'. Its dislocated a couple of times, it stopped me doing submission fighting and stopped me playing local/regional/state football.
    Its strong as, i can still do the throws i learnt with it, and i can still box and do thai style grappling, and basic groundwork, but if it is put under extreme pressure in the wrong direction, it can dislocate.
    My question is, 'will this rule me out for military service?'
    I know there are alot of military types on this website, so i was wondering if people could tell me what they think.
    Thanks :qpepsi:
    I don't know how it works in Australia, but "Ever since I was young I've wanted to be in the military," isn't a good reason to join the military in the US. If you have no other reason to join other than to fulfill the desires of a five year old, you are getting into the wrong business.

    As far as your so-called "hyperflexibilty", is that what you call it, or is that what a doctor said it was? I'm no physician, but sounds like it could be Marfan's Syndrome. I once knew a soldier who suffered injuries in both shoulders while playing basket ball. On occasion, he would suffer dislocations in one of them while doing random things, such as playing raquet ball. The doctors started to suspect it could be Marfan's syndrom, since he was freakishly tall (6' 8"), and Marfan's tends to affect those with long limbs. I think they were considering a medical chapter if it turned out to be Marfan's, but I left the unit before the situation was ever resolved. But that's the US Army. I've no idea what Australia's Army would say.
  3. Jez is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    334

    Posted On:
    5/14/2006 6:44am


     Style: Rehab

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hyperflexibility was what the doctor called it. A physician once told me that its where the range of motion of my shoulder goes much further than normal, in some ways it can be a good thing, but not when you like football and submission fighting. And i have a range of reasons to join the military, but i doubt people want to read my life story.
    Cheers for the input.
  4. The_Ghost is offline
    The_Ghost's Avatar

    U.S. Army

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Ft. Benning, GA
    Posts
    1,945

    Posted On:
    5/14/2006 8:34am

    supporting member
     Style: Kickboxing/Shooto

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jez
    hyperflexibility was what the doctor called it. A physician once told me that its where the range of motion of my shoulder goes much further than normal, in some ways it can be a good thing, but not when you like football and submission fighting. And i have a range of reasons to join the military, but i doubt people want to read my life story.
    Cheers for the input.

    1) The kids who joined because they had always wanted to, were the first ones to go nuts and AWOL back when I joined up last june, they couldn't hack it. Make sure you know what you're getting yourself into.

    2) If the military doesn't know about an injury, it won't be the end of your life. Get the point? As long as during the exam its not noticeable it never existed. ever.
    "did Phrost just call me a 'bitch'?"-Omega

    "The collective IQ of bullshido was reduced with the departure of Wastrel. It further dropped due to the retention of (Serious Harm)."
    - The all knowing Dochter

    "but like, it's possible to develop such a level of reflex that you can literally detect someones movements through sensitivity, and block without even thinking"-Apostol

    That's the amazing thing about Ninjas, for sneeky cocksuckers, they are all over the place, like dog **** on your shoe.-Ronin69
  5. VikingPower is offline
    VikingPower's Avatar

    Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4,993

    Posted On:
    5/14/2006 4:06pm

    supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HoratioHooah
    I don't know how it works in Australia, but "Ever since I was young I've wanted to be in the military," isn't a good reason to join the military in the US. If you have no other reason to join other than to fulfill the desires of a five year old, you are getting into the wrong business.
    I dunno about that, I think in one way shape or form those who end up enlisting usually wanted to do it when they were kids. When I was a kid, I thought being a soldier would be cool. Thank God for me the Army office was closed when I went to enlist, otherwise I wouldn't have walked past the Marine office and think "Hmmm, same thing right?" :laughing1

    I think the hyperflexibility might though, it's tough to say. Ask a local recruiter. If he tells you to lie like a politician, then it's probably not good. If he says it's okay and you don't have to lie about it, you'll be all right.
  6. Jez is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    334

    Posted On:
    5/14/2006 5:16pm


     Style: Rehab

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well the doctors told me all that about a year or two ago. Now i am medically cleared to fight. If my shoulder is fine for amatuer boxing and muay thai grappling, surely its alright for military service??
    I will get in touch with my local military base and find out from them.
    cheers
  7. kungfujew is offline
    kungfujew's Avatar

    Sexe dans la derrière!

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    the left coast
    Posts
    726

    Posted On:
    5/14/2006 5:44pm

    supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai Khmer

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're talking australian military right?
  8. hapkido_keith is offline
    hapkido_keith's Avatar

    Crappler Extraordinaire

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,307

    Posted On:
    5/14/2006 8:49pm

    supporting member
     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why don't you ask the recruiters? I'm sure they'd be moe than happy to talk to you.
  9. elipson is offline
    elipson's Avatar

    Ad Hominem rocks.

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,478

    Posted On:
    5/15/2006 2:07am

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** asking the recruiters! Just ignore it and dont admit it. When they ask if you have ANY health issues, just say "no sir!"

    Trust me on this. Admitting my knees hurt sometimes got me turned down from the Canadian forces, despite my doctor signing off that it wouldn't interfere with any of my duties.
  10. elipson is offline
    elipson's Avatar

    Ad Hominem rocks.

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,478

    Posted On:
    5/15/2006 2:08am

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're gonna ask someone, do it unofficially, as in before your interview. Once they have that info down, they keep it.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.