Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 9:53am

Style: Kung Fu/TKD/MMA n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    also, how often would anyone even a particularly angry fisherman have to fight in a small boat? often enough to develop a whole system?

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 10:03am

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crowey
    also, how often would anyone even a particularly angry fisherman have to fight in a small boat? often enough to develop a whole system?
    It depends on how often ninja-pirates attacked in the 18th century?Often enough.

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 10:04am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crowey
    I've never say it was the smart thing to do. Dunno, thinl in river-priates or something like that, or people fighting over what they've fished.

I'd look more into it. I beleive I've read said story in a book by an english man in colabortion with Yip Man, or maybe it was in another book. Next time I'll pay a visit to my parents I'll look in my MA books and see it I can provide a source.

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 10:09am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by planetwingchun
    The fact that Leung Yee Dai was said to be employed on a boat should not be dismissed lightly either. On closely observing the basic stances and footwork patterns of Wing Chun, it is indeed possible to accept that this system had its origins on the deck of a boat where it would have been quite impractical to jump about or throw high kicks. Wing Chun's Saam Gok Bo, or "Triangular-sliding stepping", and Yi Ji Kim Yeung Ma, or "Goat-gripping stance", are perfectly suited to maintaining stability on something as unstable as the deck of a boat.

Then there is the issue of the name of the system. Was, as the legend suggests, the system named after the first and only student of the nun Ng Mui, or is there another explanation? According to most accounts of the original Shaolin Temple, one of the halls in the grounds of the Temple was known as the Evergreen Hall, the first character being identical in sound, though differing in form and meaning, to that which makes up the first part of Yim Wing Chun's name. In mainland China today there still exists at least one style of Wing Chun which uses this same character rather than the one favoured by the "Hong Kong" school.

Some other schools of southern Chinese martial arts also make reference to this Evergreen Hall, claiming it was one of the main sites in the Shaolin Temple for training, or that it was the residence of the monk Ji Sin and that when he taught his version of the hybrid style, he named it Wing Chun in memory of his former home. While training in Hong Kong over the years I have spent many long hours discussing the history of Wing Chun with instructors of the style, one of whom teaches another branch of the Wing Chun tree which traces its line back to the monk Ji Sin. This instructor, Sifu Cheng Kwong relates a history which brings the two branches of the Wing Chun line back together, firstly around the time of Yim Wing Chun's husband, Leung Bok Chau, and again at the time of Leung Yee Dai. Sifu Cheng Kwong also believes that when the funeral tablet for Yim Wing Chun was being prepared, the first character of her personal name was written down incorrectly and was in fact meant to be the word meaning "evergreen" rather than the one which has come to be used, the meaning of the combined words in the "Hong Kong" Wing Chun meaning "to sing praises to springtime".

As stated earlier on, I consider it fair to assume that several people, over a long period of time (rather than one or two people making up an entire system in just one generation), gradually developed and refined the techniques and concepts of the Wing Chun system, pooling their combined knowledge and experiences in order to do so. As my own instructor, the late Sifu Wong Shun Leung of "Hong Kong" Wing Chun fame suggested, it is most likely that a group of "Gung Fu fanatics" with a wealth of knowledge and experience, gradually developed what we now call Wing Chun Gung Fu, refining it further and further with each successive generation.

Taking this notion even further, on more than one occasion I have heard it said by my teacher that it was not until when being interviewed by a reporter one day in the 1950's that the late Grandmaster of the system, Yip Man, made mention of any of the history prior to Leung Jan's time. It seems that there was popular martial arts magazine circulating then which regularly did feature articles on the various schools in the Colony and one surmises that, in order to follow the pattern already established, Yip Man may well have embellished the story somewhat.

Sifu Wong surmised that the system was transmitted down the coast and along the rivers of south-eastern China by the people who ply those waters, such as fishermen, traders, opera junk performers and others, who would have had a use for good fighting skills and many an opportunity to test, refine and exchange skills. Finally, one extra piece of the puzzle fell into place during my quest for answers when I found, quite by accident while reading a Chinese book on a completely different subject, that tucked away in southern Fujian province, about one hundred kilometres "as the crow flies" north of the port city of Xiamen lies the small town of Wing Chun, the characters being exactly the same as those in the name for the Evergreen Hall!

Could it be then, that over several generations a group of dedicated martial artists, seeking more efficient ways to engage in combat, gradually came to develop this unique method, and that they passed it on, friend to friend, relative to relative, teacher to student, until it made its way to Fatsaan where it was eventually learnt and refined even further by Leung Jan? Perhaps, as Sifu Wong suggested, they were people living on the water who travelled regularly up and down the coastline of southern China? That would account for the opera performer Leung Yee Dai coming across the art while himself travelling on the opera boat. It would also help to explain how the Wing Chun system inherited its Luk Dim Boon Gwan or "Six-and-a-half-point-Pole" form, the techniques of which greatly resemble the poling actions used when travelling upstream along the many river deltas in that region. And what better name for their brilliant invention than Wing Chun, the name of the village from whence they had come?

While it is highly unlikely that we will ever know for certain what the true origins of Wing Chun are, it is interesting to consider these possibilities. The one factor which is irrefutable is that the Wing Chun method is one of the world's most evolved combat systems. It is structurally sound and stands up to the most stringent scientific scrutiny, not to mention its very impressive record on the streets of Hong Kong and elsewhere. What is most important is that the man who brought Wing Chun to the public, the late Grandmaster Yip Man, should be remembered for the role he played in developing the art, and for passing on his unique skills to his four original students, Leung Seung, Lok Yiu, Tsui Sheung Tin and Wong Shun Leung, each of whom have contributed in some special way to the development of Wing Chun's reputation for being a combat skill not to be taken lightly.

As Sifu Wong so often said, though we don't know who the ancestors of Wing Chun were, it is our duty to carry on the tradition, to pass on the art as we have learned it, and to develop in our own students a pride in the system that they have inherited, and a desire to raise the skills of Wing Chun to even greater heights. Whether we owe a debt of gratitude to a nun and her student, or to a group of fishermen and an opera star, the fact remains that Wing Chun is a magnificent achievement which should be preserved for future generation
    Some wc propaga...er history on the subject of boats and d34dliness.
    He who attains his ideal by that very fact transcends it- Nietzsche

I like my Te like I like my tea- from Fujian province and without any bullshit in it. Oh, and green. And scented with jasmine blossoms...

Quote Originally Posted by A Better American Than You
    In every country and every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 10:20am

Style: judo, boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    _ing _hun looks off balance B/C anyone that would waste time with it after they saw the light of MMA has to be off balance. I did JKD and WC years back and I am ashamed I wasted so much time with ppl like Gary Dill when there were great guys like Terry GIbson around my area. A lot of my training though has been with nutrider bullshido practitioners, kem/npo fairies, wierdos, and as*holes who claimed to be masters but have never been in a fight once in their lives.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 10:25am

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mixing _ing _un and grappling?
    I rolled with a chunner once. Basically him trying to hit various pressure points while i mount-rode him.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 12:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kxfour
    I have a suspicion that it at one point involved a lot of grappling (or at least crappling), purely based on that fact that a lot of wing chun moves seem viable in the mount or reverse point position, or in many other grappling situations, whereas they are laugable in a standing form.

No, not even close.

Knife based arts typically do not have much in the way of grappling. And since the 'Nun-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named' style is a knife (or shortsword) based art, this is entirely consistent with its nature. Yet, the style also appears to have a learning progression almost completely inverted from other knife based arts.

A wierd style, for sure.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 1:08pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DAYoung
    "Wing Chun: Great for Pirates."
    I resent that.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 1:37pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Savate

Hrm, counterpoint

Savate was very largely evolved under on-deck fighting conditions, and yet doesn't seem to produce the same kind of comic ineffectuality.

Unless it's just something about really tiny boats.

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 5:14pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    I resent that.
    Sorry. I'm still a little upset about what Captain Hook tried to do to Peter Pan.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast