Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2006 10:53pm

Style: RecoveringChun'r(BJJ+MMA)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A thought on _ing _un, and why it sucks (maybe more of a historical question?)

I posted this here simply because I don't tink a _ing _un thread could survive in any other section!

I have recently abandonded my _ing _un training and switched to a new school that trains MMA and BJJ, (and I would never go back) but I had a thought - _ing _un surely couldn't have been the bullshido it is today a few hundred years ago, right? I have a suspicion that it at one point involved a lot of grappling (or at least crappling), purely based on that fact that a lot of wing chun moves seem viable in the mount or reverse point position, or in many other grappling situations, whereas they are laugable in a standing form.

Did this occur to anyone else? My god I think i've stumbled upon the truth behind why _ing _un's modern incarnation is absolute crap!

And beyond this - has anyone truly tried to mix serious _ing _un (I know that's funny, but humor me) and grappling (or at least crappling)? All variants i've seen are either just to make money or to make minor yet futile revisions, but no one seems truly interested in improving the art.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2006 11:00pm

Style: I know Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    uh... welcome to the club... and good luck trying...right.

It might work, but only ever so at lower levels. I mean i've used "Sticky hands" techniques to get my sparring partner to let go of my hands when i try to escape guard, but that only ever works with the newer students. Other than that i usually go back to square one after 2 seconds.

Posted On:
    5/13/2006 11:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've said it a couple of times, but it bears repeating.

I've read in some book that one of the possible origins of _ing _un is that it was a style developed for the fishers, who, for some reason, had to fight in the small boats they used for fishing.

It you look at the stances and the (arm) punching technique, or the concept of the center line, it makes some sense. It is like you were trying to figh in some place where maintaining equilibrium is hard. Like in a small boat.

If this is true, why somebody would want to fight in firm land as if they were maintaing equilibrium on a small boat is beyond me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 2:28am

Style: Yang Taiji, Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have nut, will ride, eh?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 3:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lights Out

It you look at the stances and the (arm) punching technique, or the concept of the center line, it makes some sense. It is like you were trying to figh in some place where maintaining equilibrium is hard. Like in a small boat.
    I've never thought of it that way, but now that you mention it, it does make sense why they choose to fight the way they do...

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 3:19am

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Wing Chun: Great for Pirates."
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 3:20am

Style: Yang Taiji, Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yarrrr.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 9:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *Smacks himself on the head* Oh... thats why we get all those stories about _ing _un masters being able to defeat 50 over people...

As they jump on your boat, you arm punch them so they lose balance and fall out, rinse and repeat.

Arh ye boot lickers! Its time to Shiver me timbers.

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 9:30am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And eat my 8ft pole!

er...
    He who attains his ideal by that very fact transcends it- Nietzsche

I like my Te like I like my tea- from Fujian province and without any bullshit in it. Oh, and green. And scented with jasmine blossoms...

Quote Originally Posted by A Better American Than You
    In every country and every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 9:45am

Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lights Out

I've read in some book that one of the possible origins of _ing _un is that it was a style developed for the fishers, who, for some reason, had to fight in the small boats they used for fishing.

If this is true, why somebody would want to fight in firm land as if they were maintaing equilibrium on a small boat is beyond me.
    That's dumb. If that was the case, there wouldn't be any side kicks or roundhouse kicks in WCK.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast