Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/13/2006 5:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lights Out
    Is there such thing as a "better punch than a right hook"?
    Uppercut....?
    :new_all_c

Posted On:
    5/13/2006 6:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The uppercut is harder to land.

I'm not the guy who has sparred the most in this world, that's for sure, but in all my sparring sessions I have never been able to land an uppercut properly, nor has anybody landed an uppercut in me, even people with way more experience and skill.

Not to mention that if there is a punch that leaves you open for a counter, it's the uppercut.

My point is, if you are in the position of landing a solid right hook, there aren't better options if we're talking abut just punches.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    5/13/2006 7:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only time you should lower your stance and throw a right cross body shot is when your opponent is covering up, backing away from you, and you know that your Muay Thai clinch and knee technique really sucks.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    5/13/2006 10:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    reiteration, if you have to throw a bodyshot cross from range (retard) it pays to keep the other hand up. imo, keep the body shots for when you are up close. less shin to face action that way

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 12:10pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ and Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great comments folks, thanks! I had been having decent luck with straight
    jabs and crosses to the body, especially since I usually end up sparring the 299 lbs, 6' 5" guy in class, I am one of the only folks tall enough to spar with him. Unfortunately, it appears I have developed (more) bad habits. The guy I was sparring with when I got kicked was one of those "in and out" fighters, he has lots of kicks and nice angles. It is very difficult hit this guy, I have corrected my tendency to "chase" these types of fighters, but I am still looking for the best strategy to handle them. I threw the right cross without any setup trying to catch him coming in and off guard, well THAT didn't work. Johnny it's all good, "learn to fight" absolutely applies, I will keep going back to get better. :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 12:35pm

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I disagree with many others advice. I personally think the right cross to the body is an excellent technique and recommend you keep working on it.

The problem isn't the technique, its the timing. You are obviously throwing the punch to the body at the wrong time! The very best time to throw that right cross to the body is when someone throws a roundhouse kick at you.

You can practice this in your gym using a drill we call "Touch-Go". Have someone throw roundkicks at your body, alternating sides. You want to kind of "sit down" as you block so that you have a real solid base. If the kick knocks you off balance, it ruins the "Touch-Go" counter. The moment after you have blocked the kick, you fire a stiff Right Cross to the body.

Someone else mentioned using it in combination. This is correct if you want to land this strike without waiting for a kick to counter. Experiment with a short flurry upstairs to distract their attention and force their hands high, then throw the cross to their body.

Another person mentioned throwing it when they cover up and are backing up. This is also a good suggestion, though I would suggest you rather throw a crushing roundhouse kick to their leg.

One important thing to mention here: Do NOT bend over to throw the Right Cross to the body!!!!!! Its best to bend your knees. But even if you set the punch up properly, you still might get caught with a knee or kick to your grill if you bend over.

Good Luck

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 2:15pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the advice that I've gotten is if you're going to throw a straight punch to the body, make sure you follow it with something that isn't another straight punch to the body, and throw the follow-up attack quick.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 3:20pm

Style: Muay Thai, No Gi Judo/Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    depends how you throw it, I do not throw punches to the body if I am that close I go for the clinch.

However there was this one time where I was trying to set up a whole bunch of right low kicks to thier lead leg. My punching combo to set it up did not work.

So I tried my punching combo and at the end instead of doing a low kick I did a right cross ( I do the same movement as if I step out for a right low kick: bending/leaning the knee at 45).

So when he raised up his shin to check my kick it met a right cross to the body and a left hook to the face. Try and see if it works for you.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    5/16/2006 2:07am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Manu Ntoh throws straight rights to the body in muay thai, so I reckon they must not be so bad
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    5/16/2006 2:29am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well Jerry Rice just outruns the other team but the rest of us have to improvise :))
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast