Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    5/16/2006 7:33am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Link to video download? I can't seem to watch it here or at google.

Posted On:
    5/16/2006 10:06am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Matt doesn't require Gi. He lets his SBG schools do whatever they want regarding the Gi. I personally like the Gi for 2 reasons. First it resembles clothing and the grips etc. I learn with the gi are 100% transferable to most clothing. Secondly, if i wore street clothes to class they would all be ripped to shreds by now. Oh, and thirdly, you can't put cool patches on your street clothes. People make too much of the gi vs no gi thing.

Posted On:
    5/16/2006 12:30pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by douubleouch
    Matt doesn't require Gi. He lets his SBG schools do whatever they want regarding the Gi. I personally like the Gi for 2 reasons. First it resembles clothing and the grips etc. I learn with the gi are 100% transferable to most clothing. Secondly, if i wore street clothes to class they would all be ripped to shreds by now. Oh, and thirdly, you can't put cool patches on your street clothes. People make too much of the gi vs no gi thing.
    Or they make too much of it without realizing what the true differences are. The long answer is in a thread we've already done on here, but the short answer is: Gi and no-gi training allow you to hone slightly different skillsets in different ways.

Do both.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2006 1:11pm

Style: TKD/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At about 15:45 a student asks a question and Mr. Thornton reply is "judo, boxing, etc" anyone understand what the student was asking? Turned my volume way up and still can't hear him clearly.

Thanks

Posted On:
    5/16/2006 6:04pm

supporting memberhall of fame
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I am sure that Matt can take a little constructive criticism.

Last edited by Shuma-Gorath; 5/17/2006 4:26pm at .

Posted On:
    5/16/2006 6:28pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Olorin
    He needs to stick to what he is selling and not get sidetracked by controversial issues unrelated to his topic. The goal is to create converts, stay on target.
    Stupid people aren't going to convert to a new belief system. They don't have the mental stamina to find fault with their own dogma.

The issues aren't controversial either. The comments you are whining about connected him to his immediate audience, Y'know, the rational guys that see the video and say "Well I don't like what he said about bush and catholicism but that's alright it doesn't invalidate his ideas on martial arts that are completly separate" are going to learn from him. The fanatical dogmatists that are turned off because someone has a different opinion on a subject aren't the people that are going to convert anyhow- they aren't rational or intelligent.
    He who attains his ideal by that very fact transcends it- Nietzsche

I like my Te like I like my tea- from Fujian province and without any bullshit in it. Oh, and green. And scented with jasmine blossoms...

Quote Originally Posted by A Better American Than You
    In every country and every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot.

Posted On:
    5/16/2006 6:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even more to the point, criticizing the Bush administration, the Catholic Church, or even the freekin' Easter Bunny is totally appropriate in this discussion.

Because Thornton is not just discussing martial arts.

Consider it a bigger conversation regarding 'aliveness' in MAs, reality, performance, and the way people will neurotically stick with a dysfunctional and non-performing belief system even in the face of overwhelming evidence.

Regarding the Gi: think about the difference between a LARPer who needs to dress in a mystical asian costume to feel special, and a combat athlete who trains in a specialized outfit suited for the task.

Training grips and lapel chokes has direct practical (performance based) benefits for both a)sport jujutsu, which alot of the SBG guys do, and b) self defense (if you are getting into street fights with naked people you need to use better situational awareness).
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Posted On:
    5/16/2006 8:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last edited by Shuma-Gorath; 5/17/2006 4:28pm at .

Posted On:
    5/16/2006 8:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last edited by Shuma-Gorath; 5/17/2006 4:30pm at .

Posted On:
    5/16/2006 10:54pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Olorin
    Respond to what? I only had two points. Lets review, stay on topic and wearing a Gi is a useless tradition as he defines it. Someone is overly protective of their heroes! When Sir Thornton shows up your can run and tell him all about my great blasphemy.

Shuma: “Matt, Matt…this guy…we call him Olorin, he said…get this…that he only agrees with 95% of what you said in a video you made a few years back in Iceland!” “Lord Thornton, He dared to say that improvement was possible!”

Matt: “I made a video in Iceland?”
    You used an argument that demonstrates a total lack of understanding of the functionality of a gi. That kind of post normally gets flushed around here, but I let it stay because I felt Matt might want to hear and destroy your argument. In the future I will just wipe your stupid posts entirely instead of pretending a respected martial artist and teacher should waste his time with your drivel.

If the sidebar comments about the President and the Catholic Church hijack this thread any further I will dispose of the offending post(er)s appropriately.
    Last edited by Shuma-Gorath; 5/16/2006 11:04pm at .
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast