Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2006 5:08pm

Style: Sub-wrestling, mostly...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Good MA schools in Toronto

If everything works out I'm going to be moving out of the sticks and living in Vaughan, Ontario, Canada this September. I'm really interested in the schools around the area that teach some form of grappling and muay thai (or something simular) that train with resitance (obviously).

Here's what I've been looking at.
    - http://www.kombatarts.com/ Judging by the pictures there's certainly enough people to train with!

- http://www.ultimatemartialarts.ca/ A 7000 square foot facility!? This place definately looks commercialized. I doubt I could afford it as a student, and it looks like it leans too far on the cardio side for my tastes (unless they offer that to pay for the facilities). I still might check it out just to see as it's pretty much impossible to tell what its like by their website.

- http://www.leeskickboxing.com/ This place looks neat. There's obviously no grappling but I'm still going to check it out. http://www.leeskickboxing.com/a.jpg :laughing7

- http://www.integralcombat.ca/ I was looking at this place until I saw a picture of someone blocking a side kick with his forearms. I would have ever looked past the Wing Chun if the grappling was decent.

- http://www.crazybobshouseofdeath.ca/ Is this for real?

Tell me what you think. Since many of the members here are from Toronto it'd be interesting to hear the opinion of people who have trained in the aforementioned schools, or have recommendations for another.

Thanks!

Posted On:
    4/25/2006 5:40pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Crazy Bob is not for real. Let's just say he "survived" on the ground at a local club only because they didn't explicitly try to kill him.

What is your maximum commute? Are you willing to drive into Toronto for training?

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    4/25/2006 5:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First of all.How cashed straped are you?

If you want my opinion?And I know you do.I would check-out Leeskickboxing.Although,he claims to do BJJ.You better find out who his instructor is.In fact why don't you find out where he trains BJJ in Toronto and check that place out instead.You'll probably get what you want.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2006 6:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuma-Gorath
    Crazy Bob is not for real. Let's just say he "survived" on the ground at a local club only because they didn't explicitly try to kill him.

What is your maximum commute? Are you willing to drive into Toronto for training?
    Well I figured he was spreading on the Bullshido pretty thick there. I wasn't sure if I wasn't getting the sarcasm or if the guy took this seriously. Wow.

What I listed was where I'll be going to school (RCC Institute of Technology). I don't know exactly where I'll be staying yet but I have been told that it's "on the outskirts of Toronto."

So yes, I'm going to be visiting Toronto for these classes. It would be nice to find a place that's planned around the bus schedules. And the distance I'm willing to travel and the money I'm willing to spend is dependant on the club. ;)

---

Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    First of all.How cashed straped are you?

If you want my opinion?And I know you do.I would check-out Leeskickboxing.Although,he claims to do BJJ.You better find out who his instructor is.In fact why don't you find out where he trains BJJ in Toronto and check that place out instead.You'll probably get what you want.
    I really don't know how cash strapped I'll be. I've been working full time while working on a math class to repair the education I fucked over in high school so I have a fair amount saved. I'm not sure how long this will last me, though.

I also plan on getting a part time job while I'm there.

Good idea about the Leeskickboxing, I'm going to send him an e-mail.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/25/2006 6:27pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lee's Kickboxing is more of a cardio workout than self-defence, per se. He has competed, though, and I'm told that he runs a good class. He studied BJJ with Mark Stables (bjj.ca), whose club also has Muay Thai classes.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/25/2006 6:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shuma, Crazy Bob story, SVP.

Posted On:
    4/25/2006 6:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sadly, it was before my time. If my superiors are okay with me relating it second-hand to the internet I'll tell it in another thread. The important part is that he trains at places then teaches the material at his own club while acting like the information just fell out of the sky. He put a fake name on his waiver too.

HearWa: I checked the location of RCC, and if you were commuting directly from school your best bet would probably be an eastbound bus on Steeles to http://www.torontobjj.com/location.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2006 7:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, that school definately looks interesting Shuma-Gorath! I'll be sure to check that one out.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/25/2006 7:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm. I had kind of forgotten about Crazy Bob, having dismissed him after a conversation drenched in bullshit mystery and intrigue. However, just this past Friday, I was speaking to some bruiser who has trained at a number of clubs in Toronto -- and with some serious people -- who met Bob at Rebellion, thought that he was super duper and now trains with him.

A fella has to wonder what the real story is.
    Last edited by Bang!; 4/25/2006 7:23pm at .

Posted On:
    4/25/2006 7:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Glad I could help. I'd be happy to recommend the schools I train at but your commute time via public transit would likely be insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Repulsive Monkey
    A fella has to wonder what the real story is.
    Now I'm kind of curious myself.

Well... not really.
    Last edited by Shuma-Gorath; 4/14/2007 2:04pm at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast