5/12/2006 6:58pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Chi Sao video

http://www.alanorr.com/htdocs/wingchun/wing-mike_31.mpg

Some guy call Alan Orr.

Whats peoples opinions?

Pretty good resistance. It's kinda similar to the chi sao we do.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    5/12/2006 7:07pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Swim Class

So I turned up at this swim class and the instructor said to us:

"For the first 6 months we are going to do drills that look nothing like swimming, and really have very little to do with swimming. We are going to spend a lot of time talking about the theory of swimming.

Yes, I acknowledge that those guys that actually swim may become better swimmers for now, but by doing these drills that really dont look like swimming in 10 years you are going to be a better swimmer then they are."

The swim teacher continued:

"Now students, you are only going to look at the water and I am going to now tell you how good I would be if I ever did swim."

Even though this teacher has never gone swimming they claim how great they would be if they ever did swim.

That is my opinion of Chi Sao.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    5/12/2006 7:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why are they wearing knee pads. In fact I am pretty sure the guy in the white one sis wearing shin gards pulled up to his knees!

What up wit dat!!

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/12/2006 7:52pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    why does chi sao sound like a food?

Posted On:
    5/12/2006 7:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickZ
    why does chi sao sound like a food?

I usually get the Chi Sao's after a good Bong Sao session.
    Last edited by Neildo; 5/12/2006 8:01pm at .
    :new_all_c

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    5/12/2006 7:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hmmm Chi sao hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Lightweight

Posted On:
    5/12/2006 8:31pm

supporting member
     Style: None currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't really see much rolling energy; to me it looked more like slap-fu.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/12/2006 8:37pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The video is horrible. The chi sao is ridiculous. Chi sao is an exercise for sensitivity, not a slap-boxing match. And as a drill, that you train w/ a partner, it isn't really working if you are just beating the **** out of your partner like in the video. You should just spar if you want to slap people up. Chi sao has a limited function as it is, don't try to make it what it is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Askari
    So I turned up at this swim class and the instructor said to us:

"For the first 6 months we are going to do drills that look nothing like swimming, and really have very little to do with swimming. We are going to spend a lot of time talking about the theory of swimming.

Yes, I acknowledge that those guys that actually swim may become better swimmers for now, but by doing these drills that really dont look like swimming in 10 years you are going to be a better swimmer then they are."

The swim teacher continued:

"Now students, you are only going to look at the water and I am going to now tell you how good I would be if I ever did swim."

Even though this teacher has never gone swimming they claim how great they would be if they ever did swim.

That is my opinion of Chi Sao.
    Bad analogy.

Since you are on a swim team, you must compete in one way or another. Thus, you have an interest in becoming a good swimmer as fast as you can. If you have a finite period to become a good swimmer (before your first match), you aren't going to be taught advanced breath control when performing a kick turn, you are going to be training in the meat and potatoes of swimming.

Chi sao isn't meant to substitute for actual training (meaning versus a resisting partner)...but is mearly meant add a little something to it. That being said...it is a miserable waste of time if you just want to learn how to throw punches and beat people up.

Wing Chun is a traditonal martial art. If you aren't interested in learning a traditional martial art, and aren't prepared to accept the facts that go along with that, you shouldn't train wing chun.

In general class we typically train chi sao for 15 minutes for a 2-hour class. It is a small price to pay to start learning a foundation that will be necessary if you ever want to proceed for any length of time with any understanding in the study of wing chun.

Having been training for some years now, I love chi sao w/ my classmates. I try to learn something everytime I cross hands w/ someone, be they my senior or a new student. Two senior students should be competitive in chi sao...but I've never seen any bullshit like the video above.

I've learned a lot doing chi sao. Different from what I learn when I spar, or when I get in an actual fight, but I learn a lot.

Part of learning a traditional martial art is learning a lot of other stuff that sometimes is not easily seen to be related to actual fighting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2006 11:16pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Amp
    The video is horrible. The chi sao is ridiculous. Chi sao is an exercise for sensitivity, not a slap-boxing match. And as a drill, that you train w/ a partner, it isn't really working if you are just beating the **** out of your partner like in the video. You should just spar if you want to slap people up. Chi sao has a limited function as it is, don't try to make it what it is not.
    Yes, chi sao is to develop sensitivity, but it isn't jus about rolling your arms. You need to strike against a non-compliance partner. The better you get, and the more sensitive you become, chi sao can/should become more "freestyle." It dosn't mean your not using sensitivity.
    Last edited by Bong; 5/12/2006 11:20pm at .

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    5/12/2006 11:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know it reminded me of maneuvering to find a position while grappling...only problem is striking doesn't work that way, and most standard clinch techniques work much faster and easier than trying to slip by and chop the neck.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast