Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 2:12pm

Style: Aikido/Judo/BJJ/Naginata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raitaro
    Well most "thick clothea" dont have the lapel type thing that a gi has.
    Not all throws use the lapel. If you watch until the end you'll see the guy throw her without holding onto any clothing at all, just the elbow and pressure on the back.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 6:47pm

Style: Enshin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seoi-nage doesn't require any lapel grabbing, you can use it regardless of the opponants apparrel, it's one o' me favorites.
  3. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 7:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiNnyX4
    Damn women always costing us money.
    After the weekend I just had...she might cost me half of everything.:new_puppy

It is a good thing that half of zero is zero.:laughing3
  4. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 8:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kipdynamite
    This just the reality of the situation most everyone on these boards can be divided into one of two types, armchair brawlers or serious actively training fighters. There are a few who are in between, but it seems to me a lot of folks are critical. Well, he "let" her throw him. SHE HAS TO LEARN SOMEHOW. And every training session cannot be a b*lls out brawl. Yes, as she trains she needs to move onto attacks with more resistance, but you have to crawl before you walk! I think she showed good form and kudos to her for learning how to defend herself.:thumbsup:
    Plus...as stated...it was a demo.
    I have never seen a demo where the instructor/owner thought, "Hey, I wonder if it would improve business if the opposite of what I'm saying happens, and the Uke kicks the throwers ass?"
    Last edited by KhorneliusPraxx; 5/15/2006 8:07am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 8:56am

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    She's definitely loving Judo and really wants to train hard this summer.

Don't worry, she can probably throw you too.
    Try Spartak Sports club.

64-34 99 Street, Rego Park, NY 11374
    sensei Arkadiy Aronov

I strongly recommend you check this place out. They don't have website I don't think, but if u google spartak sports club, ny or arkadiy aronov or just ask on Judofurm.org, u'll see what i mean and why i'd recommend this place if ure gf wants to train in Queens.

And if she's concerned about affordability...don't bother searching in NYC at all. Very low probability she'll come across one.

Also while it's good to be confident your gf is good, I hope you are not letting this get to her head and affect her game with overcofidence. I also hope u do some hard randori with her time to time.
    Last edited by babo78; 5/15/2006 8:59am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 9:47am

Style: Aikido/Judo/BJJ/Naginata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by babo78
    Try Spartak Sports club.

64-34 99 Street, Rego Park, NY 11374
    sensei Arkadiy Aronov

I strongly recommend you check this place out. They don't have website I don't think, but if u google spartak sports club, ny or arkadiy aronov or just ask on Judofurm.org, u'll see what i mean and why i'd recommend this place if ure gf wants to train in Queens.

And if she's concerned about affordability...don't bother searching in NYC at all. Very low probability she'll come across one.

Also while it's good to be confident your gf is good, I hope you are not letting this get to her head and affect her game with overcofidence. I also hope u do some hard randori with her time to time.
    Yeah, I was just on judoforum last night and people kept saying that Spartak and Queens Judo were the best places. She was looking at http://www.nyseibukan.com/index.html too, but we're not sure how Judo-like Sosuishi-ryu is. It looks like it uses all the Judo throws but I'm not sure if they do any ground work or anything. I have another friend who's looking to start martial arts this summer in Queens too. He said he was going to try and go by that place today. But he was also leaning towards Queens Judo because they have Aikido too. My gf also found http://www.krystekjudo.com/ which is actually right next to her but it only has Judo twice a week although the Jujutsu might not be bad either.

I definitely don't let it get to her head. She knows she's got a long way to go and that the way we train is nothing compared to the way she should be training if she was at a competitive place and had the free time for it.

We do about 30min. of randori at the end of every session. Although, like I said, I'm usually the one she's going up against and it's hardly a fair matchup so I have to go about 30%. Her ground game is getting pretty good however and yesterday I had to up it to about 50% on the ground.

Yesterday was actually really productive. We started with Morote Seoi-nage and then moved to drop Morote and drop Ippon. Then moved onto continuous attack with O-soto-gari into Kesa and Kata-gatame. Next we did a pinning drill where she switched back and forth from Yoko-shiho to Tate-shiho-gatame with me resisting and then would finish it with Ude-garami or Juji-gatame. After that we did randori where she did the most impressive thing I've seen her do yet. She saw my O-soto-gari coming and countered it with her own and genuinely caught me.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 10:33am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Based on that video, I'd like to state two things:

A demo is a demo, relax people. You DRILL to learn the techniques that you'll use later. But if you never drill, you never learn.

and

I could take her. I am also no one's girlfriend.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 2:50pm

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We do about 30min. of randori at the end of every session. Although, like I said, I'm usually the one she's going up against and it's hardly a fair matchup so I have to go about 30%. Her ground game is getting pretty good however and yesterday I had to up it to about 50% on the ground.
    If it's pure Judo she wants I'd def. pick one of the two. Not sure about seibuken, I wasn't able to find any record of any grappling competition they attended when I initialy did my research (i thought about going there too, my first post on bullshido was about this dojo).

I know Spartak constantly competes and have olympiac judoka there. some black dude forgot his name, his going to next olympic game i think?

If my gf was doing Judo with me, forget stand up. I'd always take it to ground hahaha. call me childish but i would ;D

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 3:13pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick
    I am also no one's girlfriend.
    Does this mean you don't really love me?

If I dump beer on Dale Seago's head, can I at least take you to dinner?

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 7:26pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by babo78
    If my gf was doing Judo with me, forget stand up. I'd always take it to ground hahaha. call me childish but i would ;D
    Can I refer to you as a pathetic dickhead making a "joke" that wasn't funny the first 7000 times someone made it?
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast