Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2006 8:35am

Style: Japanese Jujutsu / aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

New effer at the dojo

So last night we got a new dude start training at the dojo, during ju-jutsu the man gets very energetic all of the sudden and hurts my knee. The guy is new, so you kind of have people to be a little bit of an asshole or a showoff.

But now i'm hurting and i won't be able to go to the gym in a few days, maybe more.

Well, the question is, when i get back on the matt, should i hurt this ************ or not?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2006 8:44am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu / JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well it depends really. I have been hurt by people in the dojo that go 100% while praticing moves. I normaly just flat out say hey you have to lay off.

I got a good instructor and he normaly he notices and will tell them they have to stop or they are gone. He will use them for a test dummy sometimes and they usually get humbled and either quit or they straighten up and become good students. If the guy is hurting people and the instructor dont know about it you should tell him. If he tries to hurt people or you again after being warned dont go easy on him. I am not saying to hurt him bad but yeah id give him a taste of his own medicine.

Posted On:
    5/11/2006 8:46am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If he's never trained in anyting b4- benefit of the doubt.

If he does it again quietly explain what he is doing.

If he does it again- hit him with the planet extremely hard. Repeat till he appreciates how much he has to learn.
    He who attains his ideal by that very fact transcends it- Nietzsche

I like my Te like I like my tea- from Fujian province and without any bullshit in it. Oh, and green. And scented with jasmine blossoms...

Quote Originally Posted by A Better American Than You
    In every country and every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2006 9:00am

Style: Japanese Jujutsu / aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoardHitBack
    If he's never trained in anyting b4- benefit of the doubt.

If he does it again quietly explain what he is doing.

If he does it again- hit him with the planet extremely hard. Repeat till he appreciates how much he has to learn.

It seemed to me that the guy had done some training before. So, i couldn't figure out if he was just doing what he thought was natural or just trying to be a dick.

At one point i was going to tell him to take it easy a bit, but i didn't want to seem like a bitch infront of a new guy. What an asshole!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2006 9:05am

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by konosan
    So last night we got a new dude start training at the dojo, during ju-jutsu the man gets very energetic all of the sudden and hurts my knee. The guy is new, so you kind of have people to be a little bit of an asshole or a showoff.

But now i'm hurting and i won't be able to go to the gym in a few days, maybe more.

Well, the question is, when i get back on the matt, should i hurt this ************ or not?
    I had similiar issue. This dude is like 20 lbs heavier than me, he had training, I specificaly told him my right arm is injured, and I can't really use it so don't try any subs on my right arm. He kept f-ing doing it all night and kept saying "oops, i forgot but hey i'll take what i can."

Injury was made worse. Anyway, when I go back and we roll... we'll start from standing. He knows I can take him down 9 out of 10 times so he always asks to start on ground. Since I know he is no match for me from standing, I did him a favor and always agreed esp since he was 'higher' color belt. But not after that night...we're going to start from standing and I will be taking him down hard and say "sorry forgot to go easy but i'll take it."

Edit: To answer your question: No, don't hurt him intentionally but go hard so he knows you were just taking it easy on him and not anymore cause he was being a dick and you were hurt.
    Last edited by babo78; 5/11/2006 9:19am at .

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/11/2006 9:19am

supporting member
     Style: age&treachery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At one point i was going to tell him to take it easy a bit, but i didn't want to seem like a bitch infront of a new guy. What an asshole!
    What the heck, just tell him. He's the noob there; you're in a position to tell him how things go at your dojo. That doesn't make you a bitch, it makes you helpful in getting the guy dialed in. Could be he's overdoing it so as to fit in, and to avoid seeming like a ***** . . . a little communication could cure that.

Now if (verbal) communication doesn't help, I'd go with BoardHitBack's third suggestion.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    5/11/2006 9:24am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Never let your guard down with new guys. I speak from experience here. Expect the slashing elbow and spazmatic knee and pass-with-the-headbutt.

Destroyer of Worlds

Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand (orig from Melb, Aust)

Posted On:
    5/11/2006 9:38am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If he's never trained before, he probably doesn't even realise he's doing anything wrong, and probably still doesn't have a lot of control. Hopefully your instructor will say something to him - at our club the instructors always talk to new-starters before we start to roll and explain that you shouldn't just crank on your subs full blast etc, always stop if someone taps, even if you don't think what you did was tap-worthy, and just to look after your training partner in general. If that doesn't happen I guess you have to say something to him, and I know it's hard to do without worrying that they'll think you're a wuss, but the guy really needs to be told.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/11/2006 10:07am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seemed to me that the guy had done some training before. So, i couldn't figure out if he was just doing what he thought was natural or just trying to be a dick.

Maybe he's done some training, but who knows how long he's been out of the loop. Anyways, in your dojo, he is the n00b, so tell him to have some control. **** him up if he doesn't so that he gets the point. It may also be that he is an ashole showoff trying to set some dominance in the pack, but you won't know until you tell him. Anyways, **** him up if it's for certain that he is an ashole or he is not paying attention :evil6:
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/11/2006 10:17am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    Never let your guard down with new guys. I speak from experience here. Expect the slashing elbow and spazmatic knee and pass-with-the-headbutt.
    Exactly, next time you get on the mat tell him to calm the **** down. He's not learning anything by spazzing and will result in no one wanting to roll with him.

If he doesn't listen, submit him and sweep him quickly over and over and over again. Don't "let him work" at all, ever, if he doesn't learn mat etiquette, i.e., randori is to learn from one another and to point out and correct weaknesses in you or your partner's games, it's not a ADCC, PrideFC or UFC match.

Most of us are not professional fighters and have to go to work the next day or want to be able to play with our children.....newb dicks either get submitted quickly and/or choked out to learn 'em, or they sit on the sidelines like scolded children for "not playing well with others."