Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 6:19am

Style: SCA, Kung Fu, Krotchpunt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    At any rate we're comparing and contrasting the SCA's ruleset and the ARMA ruleset The ARMA ruleset is unquestionably more open and therefore a more realistic test of ability and is fair to everyone.
    Comparing ARMA and the SCA is like comparing muay thai and football. They're totally different animals.

Anyway, I didn't know that ARMA was competitive. Do you have tournaments or is it pretty free form?

What's the level of contact?
    Last edited by Skutai; 6/06/2006 7:02am at .

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 10:23am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skutai
    Comparing ARMA and the SCA is like comparing muay thai and football. They're totally different animals.

Anyway, I didn't know that ARMA was competitive. Do you have tournaments or is it pretty free form?

What's the level of contact?

They are differant they're not that differant. I can't use muay thai to play football, but I could spar with an SCAer and I think we should both show a reasonable ammount of competence, the goal of our respecrictive hobbies is the same afterall, hit them with a weapon simulator and dont get hit yourself.

No, we're not competitive, we don't have touranments or anything. Though as I understand it some of us have jumped into other peoples tournaments on occasion. One that jumps out at me is J.C. won the weapons sparring division of some kung fu tournament in 1994.

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 2:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: You don't need to know...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello folks - if I may chime in a bit here...

I am a 10 yr SCA heavy fighter with over 20 yrs in martial arts. In reading the posts from everybody, I can say there are alot of assumptions and incorrect conclusions mixed in with correct and accurate ones - which would make anybody confused.

Please let me give you my summations on the subject based on my combined experiences:

1. SCA is a sport - nothing more, nothing less
    2. SCA, as an organization, has been sued countless times over the decades it has been around. So, the rules (although very limiting) are an evolution caused by predatory lawyers. Newer WMA orgs who have full contact combat will go through the same evolution eventually.
    3. Those who enjoy SCA combat do so because it is fun - nothing more, nothing less.
    4. Fighting in armor is beneficial in that it pushes endurance (encumbrance), awareness (limited visibility), and allows for full (or near full) force to be executed on another with a minor chance of serious injury (if you can still fight, it's not serious).
    5. Fighting in armor is dangerous because it gives a sense of security that doesn't exist in unarmored combat. Many times I have allowed myself to be hit in SCA combat because I knew it was too light to be "good", so I didn't bother to block/dodge it. On the street, without armor, this would be dangerous.
    6. Even though we may wield "bladed" weapons (mostly), the reality is that all SCA weapons are impact weapons and striking techniques are developed accordingly. Slicing, although in the rules as allowable, are hardly ever felt - or taken as "good".
    7. Grappling is very common. I prefer to use a "greatsword" (i.e. big stick) and grappling is part of the tactics I have to use. However, arm bars, chokes, throws and such are not allowed out of safety. But, I can use balance taking skills very effectively to open up a hole for that winning bash or thrust - or hide behind the opponent's own shield until they open up to find me (then smash).
    8. Grappling in full armor is an entirely different arena - you can easily snag and trap yourself in your opponent's armor, ruining alot of grappling skills, or end up grappling without wanting to grapple. And, full armor limits or modifies your ability to do many holds, especially if wearing gauntlets. It really does have it's own training. In SCA melee, you don't have time to grapple because others around you will "kill" you while you are entangled.
    9. No, SCA combat is not direct street combat martial arts. But, I know quite a few SCA fighters that have an innate control of distance, timing and generating power from their bodies. Whether punching, kicking, or holding a club, many people would be surprised how easily they can cave in the heads of their attackers in any given situation.
    10. As far as the LARP stuff - that's for those who want to play it (yeah, it's a geek thing). Personally, I and many other SCAdian fighters I know don't care about it at all. We just like to throw on armor and beat the snot out of each other purely for the sporting element. Then we like to eat bad food, drink muddy beer and talk smack afterwards. As my favorite quote goes, "Royalty schmoyalty, they all sound the same at the end of my sword".
    11. If I did really want to study exact medieval combat techniques, I would seek out those schools that study such stuff. And, within the SCA's Arts & Sciences division, you will find such training - taught as such.
    12. Japanese sword arts and SCA combat doesn't usually mix well. Those coming from kendo to SCA struggle with the slower encumbrance of metal armor, the amount of force and body motion needed to be a "good" hit and those from SCA going to kendo struggle with the faster, lighter, snappier subtleness required for that sport.

Anybody who wants to balk at SCAdians would probably find me in their company - SCA events often end up attracting people as entertaining as any hippie festival. But, to balk at the effectiveness of the sport combat truly doesn't understand what it's all about to begin with. Until you don armor and stand with or against me in SCA combat, your critique is still that of an outsider to me. Better to try it for yourself than to take another's word for it. Otherwise, just leave it alone.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Widowmaker; 6/06/2006 2:29pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 2:30pm

Style: SCA, Kung Fu, Krotchpunt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Widowmaker
    Hello folks - if I may chime in a bit here...
    It seems to me the cause of much misunderstanding is that there is not a single face for the SCA. It's a huge organization with many sub-groups and anyone involved can represent the SCA however they choose - though they're probably only qualified to represent their local group, or even their little clique of their local group.

So, while I agree with most of your description Widowmaker, it's not how the SCA is often represented to the public. Personally, I wouldn't mind if the SCA were more focused and a bit less diverse, but that's not going to happen at this point. It's a salad bar - take what you want and leave the rest.

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 2:36pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: You don't need to know...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with you. Unfortunately, its usually the wingdings and clove smoking, black fingernailed vampire types, and other wierdos that end up sticking out the most. I'm an advocate of requiring the SCA membership to all events and to make it a bit less "public" in the sense that there is some kind of consistency and professionalism in presenting itself as a serious (but fun and educational) organization.

I've been to events that were more like a "Burning Man Festival" than a medieval recreation event.

That's why I just like to hit people-then share drink and stories with them later. That, to me, is the consistent aspect of SCA. Always has and always will be.
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021