Our Sponsors:

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61213141516 17181920 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/09/2007 4:28pm

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Kempofist this is my thread now jus so you know.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    1/09/2007 4:31pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess you misunderstood me a little bit.

I meant to do what Kano did by removing all of the too deadly to train parts of Kenpo, keeping it a strictly standup art. Leaving out groundfighting because that is not part of the system and could be learned elsewhere. I think that would be ok.

You would be left with a kickboxing hybrid depending on what kind of sparring you emphasised.

I would think if you trained in the gi, allowing grabbing, punches and kicks to the body, knees and elbows to the body, throws and some subs, you could get a valuable system for standing.

The striking would be good, sorta like kickboxing or kyokushin, there would be a few throws, like hip throws and reaps that I remember learning in the forms/combos and like 2-3 subs from standing position I learned, armlocks and chokes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2007 7:39pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, Judo, WTF TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UltimateGaijin
    does your dojo have lots of injuries and a high drop out rate?
    I don't understand why you are asking me this...and what the relevance of it is to what I posted...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2007 4:21am

Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gringokahn
    I don't understand why you are asking me this...and what the relevance of it is to what I posted...

cos you said

So basically, IMHO if MR. Speakman wants to add those in, he can't really do it successfully because if the techniques are attempted full force, people are going to get injured and he's going to have a high drop out rate.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    1/10/2007 6:22am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gringokahns point is,

You can safely practice something like BJJ at almost full speed and not have the injuries, that you would get if you used say...

Digging your fingernails into someones gums...

This is called "aliveness" in training. If a technique is "too d34dly" to practice then its useless.

Quit being a troll.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2007 7:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    Gringokahns point is,

You can safely practice something like BJJ at almost full speed and not have the injuries, that you would get if you used say...

Digging your fingernails into someones gums...

This is called "aliveness" in training. If a technique is "too d34dly" to practice then its useless.

Quit being a troll.

he seemed to be talking about the grappling techs Speakman was adding.

see here
    l So basically, what you are left with is a form of "Rolling Kata"... IE: Kempo limiting the effectiveness of perfectly good BJJ or grappling/GF (or whatever/wherever he is getting it from) techniques...

And very few people call it "aliveness". Most people would call it resistance. And it's not at all special.

u might want to vistit sherdog or MMA.tv. You'll notice only a minority of people call it aliveness. It may be a good phrase for marketing or group tugging but it sounds retarded
    Last edited by UltimateGaijin; 1/10/2007 7:23am at .

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    1/10/2007 7:34am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    he seemed to be talking about the grappling techs Speakman was adding.

And very few people call it "aliveness". Most people would call it resistance. And it's not at all special
    You should read the article before making anymore posts on the subject. Here is what I am talking about, and it DIRECTLY relates to grappling.

"A commonly encountered position is the full mount. The Kenpo 5.0 prescription for surviving the mount is brutally honest. 'We teach that you're probably going to take some punishment,' Sherman says. 'We teach that you want to close the gap between your chest and his chest, bring his head down to you and then maybe put your fingernails between his lips, brace your thumb under his chin and dig into his gums. All of a sudden, beating you becomes unimportant and getting your hand out of his mouth becomes extremely important. Now his base is unstable. It gives you a little room to work your way out, hopefully.' "

Kenpo Evolves
    Black Belt Magazine
    Volume 45, No. 1
    January 2007 Issue

There are much better, more proven and trainable methods of getting out of the mount than digging your finger into his gums. Shrimping for one. Shrimping can be practiced at full speed, and completely pulled off. The gums bullshit isnt. Besides, notice they said..."hopefully"

Aliveness, is the term commonly accepted on Bullshido, to refer to non-compliant partner training. Of course, you are arguing semantics here. I say Potato, you say potatoe. It only shows that your argument is weak.

I disagree. Many TMA's dont practice with much aliveness. Mostly point sparring and compliant partner drills. Judo, and BJJ are two that dont. (For the majority)

I am not an expert on all TMA's but have seen many performed, and practiced and have seen very few try the techniques they have learned on a fully resisting opponent.

It is unrealistic to teach, "If they do this, then you do this." Your opponent wont always act like your compliant training partner. Plus, all the fine motor skill **** you learne3d goes out the window when your adrenaline starts pumping.

Get your **** in order before you make anymore stupid ass trolling comments.

Sock Puppet
    Last edited by HonkyTonkMan; 1/10/2007 7:37am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2007 7:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    You should read the article before making anymore posts on the subject. Here is what I am talking about, and it DIRECTLY relates to grappling.

"A commonly encountered position is the full mount. The Kenpo 5.0 prescription for surviving the mount is brutally honest. 'We teach that you're probably going to take some punishment,' Sherman says. 'We teach that you want to close the gap between your chest and his chest, bring his head down to you and then maybe put your fingernails between his lips, brace your thumb under his chin and dig into his gums. All of a sudden, beating you becomes unimportant and getting your hand out of his mouth becomes extremely important. Now his base is unstable. It gives you a little room to work your way out, hopefully.' "

Kenpo Evolves
    Black Belt Magazine
    Volume 45, No. 1
    January 2007 Issue

There are much better, more proven and trainable methods of getting out of the mount than digging your finger into his gums. Shrimping for one. Shrimping can be practiced at full speed, and completely pulled off. The gums bullshit isnt. Besides, notice they said..."hopefully"

Aliveness, is the term commonly accepted on Bullshido, to refer to non-compliant partner training. Of course, you are arguing semantics here. I say Potato, you say potatoe. It only shows that your argument is weak.

I disagree. Many TMA's dont practice with much aliveness. Mostly point sparring and compliant partner drills. Judo, and BJJ are two that dont. (For the majority)

I am not an expert on all TMA's but have seen many performed, and practiced and have seen very few try the techniques they have learned on a fully resisting opponent.

It is unrealistic to teach, "If they do this, then you do this." Your opponent wont always act like your compliant training partner. Plus, all the fine motor skill **** you learne3d goes out the window when your adrenaline starts pumping.

Get your **** in order before you make anymore stupid ass trolling comments.

Sock Puppet
    why did you post what YOU were talking about when you quoted what i had written about what GRONGOKAHN wrote. Makes no sense. I'm waithing for Gringo to explain what HE meant. Not you.

Yes the term "Aliveness" is popular her on bullshido, but thats it. And plenty of people here never use it. Went to a few throwdowns and no one said it.

judo is one of the worlds most popular MAs- resistance is NOT special. Same goes for Kyokushin and it'S variants- again, not special. Heck, plenty of TKD schools allow full contact kicking. Then there is Sambo, MT, KICKBOXING.

as for the rest of your meandering post, im not sure who you were rambling to

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    1/10/2007 7:48am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    why did you post what YOU were talking about when you quoted what i had written about what GRONGOKAHN wrote. Makes no sense. I'm waithing for Gringo to explain what HE meant. Not you.

Yes the term "Aliveness" is popular her on bullshido, but thats it. And plenty of people here never use it. Went to a few throwdowns and no one said it.

judo is one of the worlds most popular MAs- resistance is NOT special. Same goes for Kyokushin and it'S variants- again, not special. Heck, plenty of TKD schools allow full contact kicking. Then there is Sambo, MT, KICKBOXING.

as for the rest of your meandering post, im not sure who you were rambling to

If you would look at post #156 you will see where you quoted me. Boy, are you fucking stupid or what?

sock puppet.

Dont get mad because you got owned.
    Last edited by HonkyTonkMan; 1/10/2007 7:53am at . Reason: Add on

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2007 8:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you imbecile. I was quoting you talking about Gringo. Not about what you said. Notice i used the word "he". this is different from "you"

when you get out of highschool you stop using "owned", makes you sound 12. You might want to stop quoting people in your sig everytime the say something positive about you. you might notice its not usually done. It looks SAD.

boy, are you fucking stupid, or what?