Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910 11121314 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/05/2007 10:58pm

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mawashigeri
    Hi Oldman, Sorry but I'm still getting the hang of the posting on this forum. No I am in absoloutly no way affiliated with any form of Kenpo or 5.0 or Jeff( except "The perfect weapon was way cool".
    I agree with you that the GF of 5.0 it needs to be trained in an agressive non compliant manner, if it isn't that needs to be addressed as a false sense of security will get you nailed.
    I stand by my opinion that most real life altercations ( just on odds) will have you squared off against an average "haymaker" joe, not a good striker let alone a grappler.
    Thats not to say that you shouldn't train as you wish to fight, but no matter how much you know, someone out there will allways know more.
    As for bringing a knife to a gun fight, remember against a stick( average joe), a knife is more than enough to get the job done.
    I do a freestyle Karate where strikes are based on boxing, palm heel etc, kicks are primarily low thai style, & although we train high roundhouse we are told never start with this , but after they've been softened with punches & or low & body kicks they can be a great finishing move. Also save the spinning kicks for tournaments as that will get you nailed real fast on the street.
    I suppose it is a mma as we also do BJJ two classes per week( a Machado style seperate instructor), but although I hold black in the striking "karate"( not a Mcdojo, took 6 years of 5 x per week & some hard sparring, only med contact) I have no intention of going past purple in my BJJ as I reckon thats enough ground to get me back to my feet or finish "joe" on the ground.
    I'm not their to feed my ego, if my assailant is one tough sob who is wearing strikes or has his own ground game, the moment I can disengage I AM OUT OF THERE, "Run Run as fast as you can, you cant catch me I'm the ginger bread man."
    We still call it " Karate" as we still do Kata but more for ceremony & tradition, they are GOJU RYU based.

Thanks Guys
    I have to agree with you I have been in fights, and the guys I fought looked more like they belonged on bum fights! not the ufc.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 2:24am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: judo/enshin karate/mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hoodedmonk
    I have to agree with you I have been in fights, and the guys I fought looked more like they belonged on bum fights! not the ufc.
    agreed I try to explain that to alot of people on tis site.
    you have more of a chance of running into aguy with a gun then a martial arts background. and if he has a gun you are screwed.

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 3:30am

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep! I can honestly say that outside of the gym I have never been in a fight with anybody with any real ma. skills.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 6:33am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jkdbuck76
    WHy not crosstrain....Axleton says that Speakman incourages that....I am not sure how he knows this..... Take Kenpo for the striking, and BJJ, Judo, Wrestling for the ground game?
    Why add it to the curriculum? The answer seems obvious to me....Money.

The answer is always "money". The word out there now is that if you don't have some semblance or appearance of MMA in your school, then in 2 years you will be out of business.

MMA will not shut down bullshido schools. The bullshido schools will simply add crappling and watered down crap and survive? why? money and they are leeches. Sucking off of those who have talent....giving the mere appearance of MMA to dupe people.

the bullshido schools are gravitating towards MMA like they did 5 years ago to cardio-kickboxing.

Love of Money. Certification over ability.

The two demons which plague the MA community.
    My point EXACTLY....at least somebody here is listening.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 6:53am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelton
    watch the video!
    I did. All I saw was MMA. Period. My BJJ school also has a MMA program. Why bother taking 5.0? WHy not just take MMA classes?

He could have offered MMA classes, but instead he chose to add MMA to Ke?po.

Why? Becasue he has spent his life in Ke?po. He can say...."Im a 6th deg BB, in Ke?po." This gives him some credibility to the masses. If he just started teaching MMA, then people would ask him for a fight record. He doesnt have one. SO he revamped it, and called it k5.0 for the already recognized name of Ke?po.

Ke?po has come up in value since Chuck Lidell has won the UFC LH Belt. He has a Kenpo tat on his arm. There are Ke?po instructors here that will tell you that people call them all the time and mention CL, before they start taking classes.

So, people watch MMA fights (UFC). They see Chuck. They want to take Kenpo, thinking it will make them a badass like CL. They see that Kenpo doesnt have the skill sets being taught in it that CL has. They leave.

SO the logical step is to give them what they want. Add MMA to the curriculum.

I dont know him. He seems like a decent guy from all accounts. Yet you must know that in the back of his mind, he is wanting K 5.0 to succeed in the ring, and thus create a Dynasty much like the Gracies did. He says he isnt training fighters for the ring.

I say, yes....he is. That is the BEST ad time he can ever get.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 8:02am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: freestyle karate mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ithink when he says he isn't training fighters for the ring, he means that although he obviously wants them to succeed in the ring for the advertising benefits, he is training ( or incorporating techniques) in their training that arent applicable in the ring but may make his fighters more potent in a dirty street fight rather than a true mma sports athlete.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 8:14am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mawashigeri
    Ithink when he says he isn't training fighters for the ring, he means that although he obviously wants them to succeed in the ring for the advertising benefits, he is training ( or incorporating techniques) in their training that arent applicable in the ring but may make his fighters more potent in a dirty street fight rather than a true mma sports athlete.
    Im not sure what you are saying here....

He isnt training fighters, but he is teaching them 5.0 for use in the ring for the advertisement.

See how that contradicts itself?

Now as far as the "str33t" fighting goes. Thats great, if he is teaching the grappling and techniques in an "alive" manner. If the sparring sessions for ALL of the 5.0 students looks like the video that was posted, then WOW!!

Still, all I see is MMA. A capitalization on the hottest trend in sports. Having said that, if there isnt an MMA school near you then 5.0 might be the next best thing.

Again though, why not just teach an MMA class? Please see my earlier post for the reasoning behind that. Notice that he enlisted the help of someone, while not an actual MMA fighter, like say.....Tito Ortiz (Sherman , was mostly a ref) he does have MMA experience, which lends 5.0 some creds.

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 8:38am

Style: Kajukenbo / Judo / IKEA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like my Kaju dojo because it is run by my boss, I get a deep discount, we get groundwork training from a BJJ student, and the sessions are alot more 'live' than the McDojos in my area. (sparring after Sifu thinks you are ready)

However I can see the same type of move to capitilize on the MMA craze. There is an 'MMA' hour and the people who sign up specifically for that class get black red striped pants and a t-shirt instead of a Gi, wear padded UFC style gloves, and learn some basic striking combinations and takedown defenses. The spinning backfist is even thrown in.

But because I go to both the Kajukenbo and MMA classes, I can see how similar they are. There are still katas, albeit not from horsestance, and 'defense' drills included in Kaju like backgrab, frontgrab, etc.

Just like 5.0 whatever If someone really wanted to learn 'MMA' style of fighting they are in the wrong place and should go to the source.

Another bit of marketing genius for the dojo is that the sign outside says 'Karate' Who is going to know what 'Kajukenbo' is anyhow?
    Last edited by NunOnBreak; 1/07/2007 8:41am at .

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 1:21pm

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nunonbreak
    I like my Kaju dojo because it is run by my boss, I get a deep discount, we get groundwork training from a BJJ student, and the sessions are alot more 'live' than the McDojos in my area. (sparring after Sifu thinks you are ready)

However I can see the same type of move to capitilize on the MMA craze. There is an 'MMA' hour and the people who sign up specifically for that class get black red striped pants and a t-shirt instead of a Gi, wear padded UFC style gloves, and learn some basic striking combinations and takedown defenses. The spinning backfist is even thrown in.

But because I go to both the Kajukenbo and MMA classes, I can see how similar they are. There are still katas, albeit not from horsestance, and 'defense' drills included in Kaju like backgrab, frontgrab, etc.

Just like 5.0 whatever If someone really wanted to learn 'MMA' style of fighting they are in the wrong place and should go to the source.

Another bit of marketing genius for the dojo is that the sign outside says 'Karate' Who is going to know what 'Kajukenbo' is anyhow?
    Lol . Kaju was americas earliest mma anways.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 1:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelton
    Lol . Kaju was americas earliest mma anways.
    ...Nutrider
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910 11121314 ... LastLast