Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/19/2006 11:27am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    When you sweat like I do you can tell the difference. No-gi for me is like being covered in vegetable oil. I even sweat on my hands. I'm icky.

But then again I live in Las Vegas. Hot is a way of life here.
    Dude, that reminds me of Ben Stiller playing basketball in a movie with a huge sweaty dude. Disssgussstinggg.

No way I'd roll with you no-gi. And vale tudo that's some real incentive to keep things stand-up.

Posted On:
    5/19/2006 11:36am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just a ttt for this being a frickin outstanding conversation.

I train both, and I've never really pondered the adjustments in my game. This thread has made me think through some things gi and no-gi and the impact on my game for both.

For instance, guard passing I realize that I pass more standing up in no-gi, and with a lower base in gi. Duh, it's because I get sweeped more often going higher in gi due to the grips. Never thought of that.

I go for arm drags and taking the back more in no-gi because I can't play the collar game in mount like with gi.

Escapes are harder gi. Getting out from under side mount takes more explosiveness, better timing, and cleaner execution gi than no-gi. (If you're cross-faced, getting underhooks and/or sitting up into it you have more handles gi).

Anyway, the other thing I'm realizing is I'm actually going to have to involve the brain a little more in planning out improving my game. Not that I'm not a thinker or anything, I just tend to roll and develop instinct because I like to do it for fun and relaxation.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345